Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

True. It’s just there is always a better or equal skill the trinity couples have. Okay both are warriors and both are the best. Steve generally should be the bridge with the amazons. I mean if Diana learns from Steve in certain ways. What does Steve gain from Diana? I often thought it would be interesting seeing him using magical items or someone she can talk about her Amazonian heritage more.

I mean what makes him stand out with all the other main love interests ?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    One of the issues Steve Trevor has is they just make him a soldier and we no nothing else. Do you guys think about having his family in the comics again? Or what makes him important to Wonder Woman comics, I mean yeah he is her guide but after that what else? I often thought maybe he should have a pretty good knowledge of magical items thanks to Diana. What does Steve learn from Steve? I mean other than how the man world acts?
    I don't really care whether he serves as guide to Diana, even in early days - I thought in the golden age he worked pretty well without that role. I am generally in favor of a supporting cast for primary supporting cast members of all titles. We don't have to see them that often, but they should be mentioned. We should feel that supporting cast members have a life outside the pages, that don't, from their own perspectives, exist solely to support the hero (an increasing problem with Alfred, who they have been very heavy-handed with is this regard).

Please no evil families. I hate retconned evil families. Or conspiracies or the revelation that everything didn't' happen they way you thought and some other entity arranged it all or was in play from the start (so I'm not fond of prophecies for Diana or John Steward or the Court of Owls in Dick Grayson's backstory or any of that sort of thing).

No powers needed. Very much feel that way about Lois, too. Character can be awesome with superpowers, masks, or capes.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-18-2020 at 06:13 AM.

It's far more important that Steve gains a solid personality and some stories he can call his own than it is to add background details to him. As long as those details aren't pinned down by story, they're basically worthless and easily changed anyway.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

This is why I wonder what about religion for Steve? Should that affect things? Or should he be due to Diana a believer inGreekgods

Spectacular Member

This is why I wonder what about religion for Steve? Should that affect things? Or should he be due to Diana a believer inGreekgods
    Well, he has seen gods. Kinda hard not to believe in them at this point. Worshipping is an other story entirely. I think he has a lot of affinities with Athena, ans she with him, just like Ulysse had.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakel View Post
    Well, he has seen gods. Kinda hard not to believe in them at this point. Worshipping is an other story entirely. I think he has a lot of affinities with Athena, ans she with him, just like Ulysse had.
    I wonder. What kind of stories could be told with Athena calling Steve?

Spectacular Member

I was more thinking about the reverse. Steve has a problem he fails to solve and Athena send him inspiration in a dream, like the troyan horse.
    Nothing extravagant like Diana's power, just a little push.

That sounds interesting. What I mean is what if Athena teaches Steve a few things. Like Steve can use certain magical items others can't

I'm really not keen on Steve needing a "mentor" - especially one from Diana's sphere. I'd honestly be more interested in him having problems with the gods (including ones Diana follows) than following them. But that may be both because I have an anti-religious bias and because the Greek gods were never that moral. But also because I'm very much a fan of supporting characters having lives outside the hero's circle. Things that are their own, not inherited by proximity to the hero.

Spectacular Member

I agree with Tzigone. It's one thing to have gods having relatively close relations with Diana, she is half a goddess after all so kind of part family, but an other entirely with a mere mortal.

The reason i thought of Athena for Steve is because as a soldier he is a tactician so more likely to attract her attention than Ares who is more interested by brute strengh. But Steve is still a simple mortal, no god will teach him anything, it would be i think demeaning for them. They may have a slight interest because of his proximity with Diana but that's all, and Athena being a relatively benevolent goddess may find it both curious and amusing to give him a vague guidance to see where it will go. But interact directly, no way.

The reason i thought of Athena for Steve is because as a soldier he is a tactician so more likely to attract her attention than Ares who is more interested by brute strengh. But Steve is still a simple mortal, no god will teach him anything, it would be i think demeaning for them. They may have a slight interest because of his proximity with Diana but that's all, and Athena being a relatively benevolent goddess may find it both curious and amusing to give him a vague guidance to see where it will go. But interact directly, no way.
    Wow, way to turn around what I said and make an insult to Steve instead of the gods. Certainly I wouldn't like gods with that attitude. And, of course, it's not true, anyway, as gods often took an interest in a particular mortal and interacted with them.

Like I said, I'd rather he reject them as unworthy, not other way around, if something of that nature had to happen.

In truth, I'm not a huge fan of Diana serving the gods/goddesses so much, either. I don't think they are generally worthy of it (at least as depicted). Seeing her come to terms with that could be interesting. Or just having the gods she serves actually be worthy (I'm a fan of Aphrodite as the only major patron). In that case, it would be better for Steve and Diana to have respect for each other's religious beliefs, whatever they are. But I would not favor Diana continuing to worship those who held little regard for mortals in general.

On the other hand, I'm also fond of the notion of Diana perceiving relationships with the gods as transactional, rather than one of worship or loyalty. Perform the sacrifices/deeds/etc. to get the rewards. With no need to think highly of them. Acknowledging their power, without holding them in any regard.

Of course, if they ask or demand something immoral, she would refuse, because of her own heroic nature. And punishment could be harsh. I don't like the see the villains win, so I'd want her to pull out victory somehow anyway.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 04-17-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Spectacular Member

Wow, way to turn around what I said and make an insult to Steve instead of the gods. Certainly I wouldn't like gods with that attitude. And, of course, it's not true, anyway, as gods often took an interest in a particular mortal and interacted with them.
    What do you mean ? i didn't insult Steve, quite the contrary. It takes a lot to be noticed by the gods, though often you would rather not. Greek gods are not benevolent entirely. Interacting with them is always like walking on a rope above a great canyon. With Diana's patrons, they are kind enough to offer you a parachute. Doesn't mean it will be easy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

Like I said, I'd rather he reject them as unworthy, not other way around, if something of that nature had to happen.

In truth, I'm not a huge fan of Diana serving the gods/goddesses so much, either. I don't think they are generally worthy of it (at least as depicted). Seeing her come to terms with that could be interesting. Or just having the gods she serves actually be worthy (I'm a fan of Aphrodite as the only major patron). In that case, it would be better for Steve and Diana to have respect for each other's religious beliefs, whatever they are. But I would not favor Diana continuing to worship those who held little regard for mortals in general.

On the other hand, I'm also fond of the notion of Diana perceiving relationships with the gods as transactional, rather than one of worship or loyalty. Perform the sacrifices/deeds/etc. to get the rewards. With no need to think highly of them. Acknowledging their power, without holding them in any regard.

Of course, if they ask or demand something immoral, she would refuse, because of her own heroic nature. And punishment could be harsh. I don't like the see the villains win, so I'd want her to pull out victory somehow anyway.

I mean with how the comics go it was generally a few Gods the Amazons actually worshipped. The rest they respected or were neutral on. I mean, for example, Ares is no. I wouldn't mind most of the female gods being their partons. Expect Hera. I get your anti-religious but for certain characters that are a part of their background. Like Daredevil his beliefs are a part of hi
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 04-21-2020 at 04:49 PM.

I haven’t thought about Steve’s family too much, but I think it could be an interesting avenue to go down to add other minor supporting characters to the book.

I agree with everyone here that Steve needs some of his own defining story arcs, a la Lois Lane and Selina Kylie.

I have five Steve-centric storylines I’ve been outlining (one with ARGUS, another with the JLA, another with the Amazons, another with Doctor Cyber, and another with three new characters) that’d help create depth for Mr. Trevor and explore different facets of him in the greater Wonder Woman and DCU mythologies.

Steve, like Diana, has so much unrealized, unserved potential.