Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I sort of agree with the premise here. I don't care so much about fights, generic fighting can be boring. I do like creative use of powers and well thought out fight scenes. I think back to Grant Morrison's run when Scott did a flip and shot one of the omega gang in the leg with his optic blasts. I like fights like this and not generic kicking and punching (unless again it means something and is not background noise). Some writers like Morrison, Gail Simone, and Gerry Duggan can write fight sequences. Some writers when you read their scripts just let the artist do their thing with little direction (insert generic fight scene).

In the Hickman era I think they are concerned with power creep so powers are understated and a tad more realistic. I also think they want the X-men to be more than a generic action book (so there will be a lot of focus on dialogue and big ideas, world building, etc). I think there just needs to be a balance. We do want some action/adventure and that includes fights, but the generic background fights are so boring and a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    We don't see the mutants use their powers enough and yet we don't get much in the way of deep, thoughtful characterization either. Ah well.

Marauders has had a couple of cool fight/power scenes over its few issues. Kitty and Iceman both have had amazing displays.
    pretty much describe the new era.

The biggest dissapointment is excalibur that have Betsy and knights, the fights are really awful

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    Mike Carey knew how to write the best fight scenes ever.
    Remember X-Men 205? 5 X-Men Vs. Acoyltes & Marauders.
    And then the fight with Proteus during Necrosha and also the COTV fights.
    Yep great memories with those you mentioned.I think the X-Men Legacy 205 was epic Clay Mann's art on Necrosha Proteus fight is one of my absolute faves ,another was Old Magneto taking on the cloned brotherhood in Magneto not a Hero brief but choreographed pretty good.(art by Mann again btw).I liked the brief encounter of Rogue and Ncrawler with Bastion where he killed NC who saved Hope with his dying breath.One of the most epic deaths in X-Men universe for me,not yet topped btw.Oh who can forget the X force-Dark Angel Saga takedown of Angel.We need to get that back pronto,I hope Hickman gets some panel choreographers for this

BANNED

Marauders-

-Kitt’s fight scenes and Storms little battle with the Russians.
    -Power Display Iceman had a good one.

X-Force-
    -Domino had a lot of good ones

That’s all I can think of really.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    Compared to the X-Men, the Avengers are so much more shallow and uninteresting as a whole they can only rely on action scenes. I thinks the X-Men books are doing great. So much depth, complexity, character variety and yes, some cool action scenes here and there.
    I get what you're saying but "fight scenes" are absolutely necessary when talking in context of X-Men because their powers are soooo personal. It's so intimate to see how a particular mutant defends and uses their power to leverage the odds in a good juicy intelligent fight scene. That's why writers love Domino and Wolverine, they can intellextualize their powers in ways that animate very simple capabilities.

Alan Davis is one of my favorite fight scene artists and artists in general. He has a way of sweeping you into the moment and knows how to draw certain stances from disciplined as well as draw operatic huge power displays that engage you! I'm not the biggest fan of storyboard panel pacing that lends well to conversation but also- absolutely, a fight IS a conversation and fr the X-men it is so wonderfully communicated when drawn in passionate fervor.

Fighting is boring, kissing is awesome.

Emma was right

I don't care about fights, I read comics for character development, and fights only vaste a page time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    I don't care about fights, I read comics for character development, and fights only vaste a page time.
    You say it like that but Superhero comics are meant for fight scenes and their respective trauma, stakes, victory, war, sacrifice, etc tropes. If you are only going for character developments then you can just read Archie lol. Just kidding lol.

BANNED

I think looking back at a great many comics the same could be said. The tension, character interactions and overall plot are of more importance to the core of the narrative than the fight scenes. And while they may be great to look at, they're rarely going to progress the story in the way we would want them to.

That said, New Mutants has had a couple of really cool panels, X-Force has shown some dynamic action, Marauders has shown off with power displays. X-Men #1 and X-Men #8 were both pretty good too in highlighting the primary protagonists. And let's not forget the awesome Nimrod/Apocalypse showdown we had in PoX.

I imagine with this Brood threat being a current problem, and the X of Swords coming, readers who want some dynamic fight sequences will get their wish

Emma was right

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    You say it like that but Superhero comics are meant for fight scenes
    Well, that's the reason why comics have been considered as a dumb pictures for decades.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    You can and should do both, the Fantastic Four example is perfect here. Jean Grey went out without a fight. Cyclops was gunned down. Archangel was bombed. lol No redeemable qualities. That should say something.

Brubaker didn't write WoK. His action was okayish, AFAICR.
    I can't recall who wrote WoK but Messiah War was something really good. Jean, Cyke, Logan, M, Raven, and Kurt all of them know that it was kind of suicide mission and what is at stake. Aside from Jean maybe most of the them are willing to go through that trauma of death and complete it because they know what is at stake against Master Mold or Nimod. I don't think there was particularly any need for fight scenes as long as it remains ethical given right now with so many inconsistencies for any tier character has created a certain level disruption or dissatisfaction among so many fans who tend to see their characters their own way of fighting tiers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    Well, that's the reason why comics have been considered as a dumb pictures for decades.
    For Decades you mean since the beginning of the modern age superhero comics lol? Then I guess what's the need for superhero characters having superhero powers if they don't use them, right lol?

I agree that the X-men books should be more than just action sequences. They should have big sci-fi ideas and high concepts. But as I said before you need a balance. Even if there are less fights we still need action/adventure scenes. It just has to be balanced in a way that the fights/action isn't mistaken for actual substance.

Again, fight scenes that are generic and mainly in the background look dumb and are boring. If it is a well designed action/fight sequence then it can make the comic more cinematic which is usually a good thing. It depends on the artists ability as well as the writers ability to actually write/describe physical movement/action.

Hickman uses powers in an understated way and I think that goes for fights as well, and so far it works.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    I can't recall who wrote WoK but Messiah War was something really good. Jean, Cyke, Logan, M, Raven, and Kurt all of them know that it was kind of suicide mission and what is at stake. Aside from Jean maybe most of the them are willing to go through that trauma of death and complete it because they know what is at stake against Master Mold or Nimod. I don't think there was particularly any need for fight scenes as long as it remains ethical given right now with so many inconsistencies for any tier character has created a certain level disruption or dissatisfaction among so many fans who tend to see their characters their own way of fighting tiers.
    You mean Hope? And Second Coming? Because yeah, the action in SC was solid AF. The idea to take out telepotrers so they can corner the mutants with no way out is the tactical approach to superpowers I really don't see too often and that makes me quite sad. K/Y knew how to deliver their stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    You mean Hope? And Second Coming? Because yeah, the action in SC was solid AF. The idea to take out telepotrers so they can corner the mutants with no way out is the tactical approach to superpowers I really don't see too often and that makes me quite sad. K/Y knew how to deliver their stuff.
    Yeah I mean the whole plot as a tactical point of view on both sides(I mean Purifiers and X-Men) was really cool to read but I don't think it has that fluidity with respect to an emotional standpoint. I mean with so much at stake with Hope and Mutant Extinction, I think Kyle/Yost wasn't able to deliver it. But Hickman did.