Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Yeah I mean the whole plot as a tactical point of view on both sides(I mean Purifiers and X-Men) was really cool to read but I don't think it has that fluidity with respect to an emotional standpoint. I mean with so much at stake with Hope and Mutant Extinction, I think Kyle/Yost wasn't able to deliver it. But Hickman did.
    Actually, a complete disagreement in here. K/Y made me care even about characters I don't even like because their voices are spot on and feel real. Unlike Hickman whose voices are just mouthpieces to deliver ideas and plot (for the most part). For example, a page where Hope lies near Cable's arm in the end of SC, which all that left from his disintegrated body, is by far stronger than anything I've seen from Hick that concerns emotional punch. And I'm not even a hardcore fan of the characters.
    Last edited by adamTPTK; 03-18-2020 at 07:34 AM. Reason: clarification

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

polaris in prisioner of x was badass
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    Prisoner X was great.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    Actually, a complete disagreement in here. K/Y made me care even about characters I don't even like because their voices are spot on and feel real. Unlike Hickman whose voices are just mouthpieces to deliver ideas and plot (for the most part). For example, a page where Hope lies near Cable's arm in the end of SC, which all that left from his disintegrated body, is by far stronger than anything I've seen from Hick that concerns emotional punch. And I'm not even a hardcore fan of the characters.
    Nah it wasn't for Wolverine. He goes grrrrr and berserk all the time when Yost writes him lmao. Hickman at least tried something that resonates with Wolverine's background.

Hope and Cable are not Kyle/Yost's X-Force characters and neither they were a part of its storyline except for Messiah War and Second Coming crossovers. That scene was emotional, I agree but then again it was self-contained within Cable's run for the majority.
    Last edited by Vishop; 03-18-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

It's a damn curse at this point actually. Take even Hickman for example. Go back to Fantastic Four and witness the absolute epicness of adult Franklin and Galactus vs. the mad Celestials that has become one of the most iconic battles in comics already. Take even Avengers for example, the Infinity ending had Thanos and tha Black Order face Avengers powerhouses + Cap and that one was also an outstanding battle.
    Then take Hocus Pocus mission on Orchis. You send M, Cyclops, Archangel, Nichtcrawler, Wolverine and Jean to a space station to battle Sentinels and transhumans, and you get THAT utter disappointment as the result? Why?...

I think it's still coming I agree with others due to the focus on creating the world some things have been left to the wayside. However I don't have a single doubt that all these running plot threads are going to come to a head.

You can and should do both, the Fantastic Four example is perfect here. Jean Grey went out without a fight. Cyclops was gunned down. Archangel was bombed. lol No redeemable qualities. That should say something.

Brubaker didn't write WoK. His action was okayish, AFAICR.
    Enjoyed both HOX/POX, but no one is going to convince me that Jean would have gone out like that without at least fighting, especially given that she just felt Scott die in her mind...

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Fighting is boring, kissing is awesome.

Why not both?

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    Yes, her previous fights for quite awhile tended to be poorly choreographed where she just blasts from a distance or threatens. What Prisoner of X did right was had a real visceral fight we see up close and personal where Lorna is fighting with the gloves off, but not unstable/not in control of herself.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-19-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Fight scenes, character work, team building, world building. These things are not mutually exclusive. If you have a six issue arc that is heavy on world building and plot progression then use the next issues to focus more of characters and fight scenes. Or the reverse. You get my point.

A character like Beast has some basic building blocks that fans want. They want to see his intellect be represented. Mostly from his general dialouge and him interacting with science. Another part is his powers. For instance Beast is more loved for his agility then his strength. So usually we see him doing more acrobatic fighting then lifting heavy objects. It's hard to do a good Beast without using his powers, personality and intellect in the comic(s).

I will use playing D&D as an example since it has been mentioned before, in other threads, as an example of utilizing characters. If your players role a thief, warrior and mage. You set up the adventure to have challenges where they get to use different skills. Moments that require the mage to try different spells. Missions where the thief uses his skills to steal, mug or sneak. Letting them use skills that reflect their personality like persuasion.

It gets boring for mage to just throw fireballs or for a thief to just whack at the enemy.