Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eddie Brock Venom Appreciation 2020

We have an appreciation thread this year for the Flash Thompson Venom, but not for the Eddie Brock Venom, currently the lead of a hit monthly. This is an oversight.

The previous thread went 136 posts.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

My Top 3 Favorite Artists for Venom:

1. Todd McFarlane

2. Erik Larsen

3. Mark Bagley

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Stegman quickly becoming one my favourite artists...some of the splash pages he’s given us are incredible.

All-time favorite crossover event involving Brock's Venom would be...

Spirits of Venom

IMHO, the Adam Kubert version of Brock's Venom was most interesting.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Some stupendous artwork:

"I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Cates reinvigorated Venom for me. Until Cates came along I had grown weary of the character but now I'm a huge fan of Eddie Brock Venom. I feel like a kid again.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Cates reinvigorated Venom for me. Until Cates came along I had grown weary of the character but now I'm a huge fan of Eddie Brock Venom. I feel like a kid again.
    Same!! Loving this series.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

After nearly 30 yrs., this is still one of my favorite scenes featuring Venom. It came from one of the earliest issues of Amazing Spider-Man that I ever owned and was part of the first appearance of Carnage. Here we have Spider-Man, armed with a sonic gun and the Human Torch as back-up. And notice how Venom just goes through all of that. (One of my favorite aspects of Spidey. Even in his own comic, he's still the underdog.)

"I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

^^^ Speaking of favorite scenes featuring Venom, this page from ASM #375 would be a personal favorite (I LOVE Brock's fashion sense ):

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    ^^^ Speaking of favorite scenes featuring Venom, this page from ASM #375 would be a personal favorite (I LOVE Brock's fashion sense ):
    That jacket is the symbiote, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post
    That jacket is the symbiote, am I right?
    Correct.

And here's proof:

What did everyone think of Venom island? This was my favorite arc by Cates since the beginning. I am looking forward to seeing where this goes.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Mighty Member

Every time Eddie's Venom has been adapted into other media they fixed his rather...flimsy motivation. I'm unsure if it is any better or worse by having Peter know Eddie beforehand, as the stalker thing is pretty unique to him, as the knowing who Spider-Man was behind the mask was something Norman Osborn had patented (though Eddie had his spin on hunting loved ones as playing a sadistic game of maybe I will maybe I won't playing on Peter's fear...where Norman WILL harm Peter's loved ones).

In a world where Venom has recently being treated as sludge with teeth rather than a blend of two individuals with a common hatred/goal, what would you say are your favorite Eddie Brock Venom moments in adaptive media?

Perhaps seeing him play with Peter as a marionette in the 94 animated series made you fall in love with the character. Maybe seeing him snitch Peter out to the Bugle (and possibly other news outlets) in Spectacular was something that you thought was clever use of the character. Maybe making Eddie less sympathetic in Spider-Man 3 (where he was creating false pictures) you felt was a better way to tackle Eddie's job woes than the Emil Greg incident. Or maybe Marvel's Spider-Man animated series (2017) making Eddie a victim of the Venom symbiote was a better play to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Every time Eddie's Venom has been adapted into other media they fixed his rather...flimsy motivation. I'm unsure if it is any better or worse by having Peter know Eddie beforehand, as the stalker thing is pretty unique to him, as the knowing who Spider-Man was behind the mask was something Norman Osborn had patented (though Eddie had his spin on hunting loved ones as playing a sadistic game of maybe I will maybe I won't playing on Peter's fear...where Norman WILL harm Peter's loved ones).

In a world where Venom has recently being treated as sludge with teeth rather than a blend of two individuals with a common hatred/goal, what would you say are your favorite Eddie Brock Venom moments in adaptive media?

Perhaps seeing him play with Peter as a marionette in the 94 animated series made you fall in love with the character. Maybe seeing him snitch Peter out to the Bugle (and possibly other news outlets) in Spectacular was something that you thought was clever use of the character. Maybe making Eddie less sympathetic in Spider-Man 3 (where he was creating false pictures) you felt was a better way to tackle Eddie's job woes than the Emil Greg incident. Or maybe Marvel's Spider-Man animated series (2017) making Eddie a victim of the Venom symbiote was a better play to you.
    Venom was already a favorite of mine when the cartoon premiered. I just loved him more during the Alien Costume three-parter. Too many favorite quotes from those episodes:

"Allow us to introduce you to our better half. We call ourselves....VENOM!"

"We're your old clothes, kid. Your hand-be-down's. The symbiote that you tried to destroy, EDDIE BROCK HAS EMBRACED!"

"Nice Spidey jammies. Wonder what people would do if they found out who Spider-Man was? Hey, LET'S GO ASK JAMESON ABOUT THAT!"

"When the world finds out who you are your history pal. Think of all the lovely folks you'll leave behind like Mary Jane. She'll be so lonely. Maybe we'll have to keep her company. How does that sound Tiger?"

"Don't you just love the theater? I know that you do, you're a wonderful actress!....You'll miss the curtain, Petey!"

Just the right blend of attitude, arrogance, and threat with these lines.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Venom was already a favorite of mine when the cartoon premiered. I just loved him more during the Alien Costume three-parter. Too many favorite quotes from those episodes:

"Allow us to introduce you to our better half. We call ourselves....VENOM!"

"We're your old clothes, kid. Your hand-be-down's. The symbiote that you tried to destroy, EDDIE BROCK HAS EMBRACED!"

"Nice Spidey jammies. Wonder what people would do if they found out who Spider-Man was? Hey, LET'S GO ASK JAMESON ABOUT THAT!"

"When the world finds out who you are your history pal. Think of all the lovely folks you'll leave behind like Mary Jane. She'll be so lonely. Maybe we'll have to keep her company. How does that sound Tiger?"

"Don't you just love the theater? I know that you do, you're a wonderful actress!....You'll miss the curtain, Petey!"

Just the right blend of attitude, arrogance, and threat with these lines.
    Indeed, although I liked how his return had him segue into a more (anti-)heroic characterization, with him revealing that he once dreamed of fighting injustice as a reporter and being asked by Dr. Ashley Kafka if he still would use his regained power as Venom to fight injustice, which led into him ultimately sacrificing himself to what could be considered a fate worse than death to save her from Carnage. (For those who might not have seen the episodes, Brock would be stuck forever with Dormammu and Carnage in Dormammu's Dark Dimension.)
    The spider is always on the hunt.