Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Funny enough, that has been addressed a few times in the comics proper. Once, there was an arc in the old Avengers comics about a disguised alien fomenting anti-alien paranoia among the human populace to effectively neutralize the Avengers, who had alien members at the time. Earlier in Kelly Thompson's Captain Marvel run, Carol Danvers was revealed to the public to be half-Kree on her mother's side (following The Life of Captain Marvel miniseries) and the public, media, and authorities turned on her, accusing her of being an "alien spy" all along. More recently, though, after Knull's invasion of Earth during King in Black, the Friends of Humanity have reassembled and expanded to go after aliens, especially symbiotes, as thanks to Krakoa, mutants are now too hard to target without fear of reprisal.
    That's really cool, I do wonder if the Mutant bigotry angle is kinda old hat nowadays simply because of how Earth is the "center" of the Marvel Universe.

I mean should Earth's populace be backwater bigots towards every metahuman, mutant, alien, super soldier, gamma radiated persons, gem powered persons or magically imbued persons?

I think for that Mutant bigotry angle to hold water Earthers kinda have to hate everyone, which unfortunately may be true to life, but sucks in a fictional story.

Maybe I'm overthinking it

BANNED

Because I don't want X-stories consumed by Inhumans or whatever the major thing Marvel is trying to sell at any given point is.

Also don't want superhero identities and powers taken from my favorite X-Men characters yo be grafted onto Avengers characters.

Amazing Member

Honestly some issues like Quicksilver aside, since the new X-Men timeline takes place from 1962-1993 (before most of the MCU), they could just say that Fox X-Men was always in the MCU and just never talked about. Jarring, but not particularly worse than the way MCU sweeps Agents of Shield and Marvel Netflix under the rug.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    That's really cool, I do wonder if the Mutant bigotry angle is kinda old hat nowadays simply because of how Earth is the "center" of the Marvel Universe.

I mean should Earth's populace be backwater bigots towards every metahuman, mutant, alien, super soldier, gamma radiated persons, gem powered persons or magically imbued persons?

I think for that Mutant bigotry angle to hold water Earthers kinda have to hate everyone, which unfortunately may be true to life, but sucks in a fictional story.

Maybe I'm overthinking it
    Fair enough. However, I think, like with a lot of real-world bigotry, people can and will make exceptions for those individuals or groups they happen to personally favor or think can be made to align with them, as per the likes of the Avengers and the Fantastic Four typically facing less persecution and backlash from humanity compared to the X-Men and mutants in general.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Fair enough. However, I think, like with a lot of real-world bigotry, people can and will make exceptions for those individuals or groups they happen to personally favor or think can be made to align with them, as per the likes of the Avengers and the Fantastic Four typically facing less persecution and backlash from humanity compared to the X-Men and mutants in general.
    Exactly. People make exceptions all the time. Racists are out cheering for NFL teams full of Black people, homophobes watch/listen to gay performers, etc. Fame and status makes people colorblind, until that famous person reminds them of their identity. Plus, other superheroes are an anomaly who live apart from humanity. Mutants should number in the millions and live in your community and even in your home.

Whenever anyone brings up that hating Mutants means hating all super-powered beings, all I can think is that they really don’t understand how our world works at all.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Exactly. People make exceptions all the time. Racists are out cheering for NFL teams full of Black people, homophobes watch/listen to gay performers, etc. Fame and status makes people colorblind, until that famous person reminds them of their identity. Plus, other superheroes are an anomaly who live apart from humanity. Mutants should number in the millions and live in your community and even in your home.

Whenever anyone brings up that hating Mutants means hating all super-powered beings, all I can think is that they really don’t understand how our world works at all.
    So much this.

True, but how many times have we seen a Mutant on the Avengers, Fantastic Four, and all the other super teams. Mutants were the only ones (I know it's changed recently) that the government were literally out to get them. It doesn't make sense when the same government is relying on the Avengers who have prominent mutants on the team.

I understand.

How is a mutant not going to remind flatscans of their identity, mutants are pretty well known in the 616 so much so that hillbillies in the sticks know how to attack them and disable their powers. Unless you're referring to a mutant that is actively hiding the fact they're a mutant

Moreover, people do not become colorblind simply because of status if that were the case racists wouldn't tell black athletes to "shut up and play" nor would they screech SJW whenever they get a whiff of someone not being a normie cis white guy.

True, but how many times have we seen a Mutant on the Avengers, Fantastic Four, and all the other super teams. Mutants were the only ones (I know it's changed recently) that the government were literally out to get them. It doesn't make sense when the same government is relying on the Avengers who have prominent mutants on the team.

I understand.

How is a mutant not going to remind flatscans of their identity, mutants are pretty well known in the 616 so much so that hillbillies in the sticks know how to attack them and disable their powers. Unless you're referring to a mutant that is actively hiding the fact they're a mutant

Moreover, people do not become colorblind simply because of status if that were the case racists wouldn't tell black athletes to "shut up and play" nor would they screech SJW whenever they get a whiff of someone not being a normie cis white guy.
    Funny enough, it's been implied, if not even outright stated, in past Avengers comics that the government tolerates the Avengers because the Avengers don't "rock the boat" that much in comparison to the X-Men. Even then, we've still had the likes of Henry Peter Gyrich trying to somehow regulate, control, or neutralize them because the US government ultimately doesn't trust what is effectively an NGO (nongovernment organization) consisting of superpowered extralegal crimefighters and counter-terrorists. Hell, the original Civil War showed that all it'd take was a single catastrophic incident involving superheroes to turn the full force of the government and the general public against anyone with powers, regardless of whether they were mutants or not.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Because I don't want X-stories consumed by Inhumans or whatever the major thing Marvel is trying to sell at any given point is.

Also don't want superhero identities and powers taken from my favorite X-Men characters yo be grafted onto Avengers characters.
    In other words,the MCU universe sucks. So much so in fact that most X-fans really want nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 11-16-2021 at 08:13 PM.

Funny enough, it's been implied, if not even outright stated, in past Avengers comics that the government tolerates the Avengers because the Avengers don't "rock the boat" that much in comparison to the X-Men. Even then, we've still had the likes of Henry Peter Gyrich trying to somehow regulate, control, or neutralize them because the US government ultimately doesn't trust what is effectively an NGO (nongovernment organization) consisting of superpowered extralegal crimefighters and counter-terrorists. Hell, the original Civil War showed that all it'd take was a single catastrophic incident involving superheroes to turn the full force of the government and the general public against anyone with powers, regardless of whether they were mutants or not.
    Yeah totally, I completely forgot about Civil War.

I wonder if people are afraid of mutants because of the "potential" damage a hormonal mutant can do; I kinda wish Civil War II tackled this idea instead of what it ended up as

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel;[URL="tel:4888788"
    4888788[/URL]]I agree with this point more than anything else.

Can you imagine, "Yes, the X-Men have been around for years, they considered helping during Thanos, but decided it would be better to stay unknown for the time being."
    Sounds like the us policy at the start of WW II

I wonder if people are afraid of mutants because of the "potential" damage a hormonal mutant can do; I kinda wish Civil War II tackled this idea instead of what it ended up as
    I always thought it was the potential problems offspring probably pose to Parents born Mutants
    GrindrStone(D)

I think many of us understand that the world works like that, but my concern comes less about believing it can be like that in the MCU, and more on how Disney will choose to allow it to be depicted. The closest stuff they have allow themselves to do is Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and the messaging there was sort of mixed bag, surface level stuff. So I do think they could opt not leaning too heavily into the X-Men's political stuff and just reinvent them in a way where they just more easier to stomach to their more conservative audience.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

In my mind in order to really amp up the general population fear or hatred of mutants, something catastrophic would need to happen on a global scale. Maybe it's the introduction of mutations across the planet leading to fear and panic when children and adult start expressing their mutations suddenly? A large scale Brotherhood attack globally? There has to be something that causes people to really turn on the concept of mutants vs superheroes given the state of the MCU currently.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    I think many of us understand that the world works like that, but my concern comes less about believing it can be like that in the MCU, and more on how Disney will choose to allow it to be depicted. The closest stuff they have allow themselves to do is Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and the messaging there was sort of mixed bag, surface level stuff. So I do think they could opt not leaning too heavily into the X-Men's political stuff and just reinvent them in a way where they just more easier to stomach to their more conservative audience.
    You mean to basically "Uncle Tom" Mutants.

Yeah, that would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    In my mind in order to really amp up the general population fear or hatred of mutants, something catastrophic would need to happen on a global scale. Maybe it's the introduction of mutations across the planet leading to fear and panic when children and adult start expressing their mutations suddenly? A large scale Brotherhood attack globally? There has to be something that causes people to really turn on the concept of mutants vs superheroes given the state of the MCU currently.
    Considering all the devastation inflicted on ordinary humans as a result of various superhuman-involved incidents, to put it somewhat euphemistically, in the MCU's past well before the existence of mutants would (or will) become a known factor, I could --- as I've mentioned before --- see that as the thing that tips humanity over into fearing mutants above even other similarly superpowered people because mutant manifestations can come from anywhere and anyone on the planet and mutants don't all necessarily wear fancy self-identifying costumes.