BANNED

Default Altered Carbon: Season 1 vs Season 2

Which season did you enjoy more ?

I enjoyed both seasons but my pick is definitely Season 1.

S1 was more a theme exploration of human morality and how far the species could go if they were given power and posed several questions on how much power should humanity or a single man been given and how would that corrupt him. More than the murder mystery of Laurens Bancroft, it was a story of social and human examination, wrapped in an entertaining mystery.

Joel Kinamman delivered a great performance as Takeshi Kovacs and Martha Higareda provided a very solid supporting character.

Season 2 left all the human examination and went straight into action territory, it had a clearer plot and more compressed storytelling, but in the process lost all the elements that made S1 so special and a big success.

Anthony Mackie was good but he felt like a completely different character than the Takeshi Kovacs we witnessed on S1, he had none of the mannerisms nor personality of the character we came to know previously, which made his reunion with Quellcrist Falconer and the younger Takeshi Kovacs lose all the impact it could have had.

My rating:

Season 1: 9.5/10

Season 2: 7.5-8/10

Ultimate Member

Yeah, Season 1 was better, simply because it set the tone that Season 2 dialed down.

Mackie was still excellent, but he didn't get the best material, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, Season 1 was better, simply because it set the tone that Season 2 dialed down.

Mackie was still excellent, but he didn't get the best material, IMO
    Yea season 1 was better. I'm sure we will get a third actor for season 3 but I'd be 100% cool with Mackie coming back. Hes a great actor.

Astonishing Member

Season 2 is at a disadvantage by not having Martha Higareda in the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Season 2 is at a disadvantage by not having Martha Higareda in the cast.
    I woulda said because of no James Purvevoy

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post

Anthony Mackie was good but he felt like a completely different character than the Takeshi Kovacs we witnessed on S1, he had none of the mannerisms nor personality of the character we came to know previously, which made his reunion with Quellcrist Falconer and the younger Takeshi Kovacs lose all the impact it could have had.
    Yeah I don't agree with this part, I don't think the show did a real job of telegraphing the mannerism or personality of Takeshi Kovacs because Will Yun Lee, Joel Kinnaman and Anthony Mackie all had different in mannerisms. Will Yun Lee had none of the mannerisms of Joel Kinnaman either. I don't think Mackie did come across as previous version fair assessment, I think the show runners didn't predict they would be changing actors imo and didn't put enough markers for you to believe these characters were clearly the same person and Anthony Mackie wasn't told to try to mimic Kinnaman performance. It was point of emphasis his interviews while he was trying to implement Kinnaman stuff into role he was going to be doing something different.

Season 1 was better than Season 2 because it had the way stronger story and world building. Plus Season 2 toned itself for mass consumption so it was less gritty and violent than first season. Season 2 was fine it just didn't have as good story to work with as Season 1. Anyways I am looking forward to cartoon which I believe is coming out this week right?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Yeah I don't agree with this part, I don't think the show did a real job of telegraphing the mannerism or personality of Takeshi Kovacs because Will Yun Lee, Joel Kinnaman and Anthony Mackie all had different in mannerisms. Will Yun Lee had none of the mannerisms of Joel Kinnaman either. I don't think Mackie did come across as previous version fair assessment, I think the show runners didn't predict they would be changing actors imo and didn't put enough markers for you to believe these characters were clearly the same person and Anthony Mackie wasn't told to try to mimic Kinnaman performance. It was point of emphasis his interviews while he was trying to implement Kinnaman stuff into role he was going to be doing something different.

Season 1 was better than Season 2 because it had the way stronger story and world building. Plus Season 2 toned itself for mass consumption so it was less gritty and violent than first season. Season 2 was fine it just didn't have as good story to work with as Season 1. Anyways I am looking forward to cartoon which I believe is coming out this week right?
    Maybe, but it was way easier to see the resemblence between Joel and Win Yun Lee than Mackie and Joel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Maybe, but it was way easier to see the resemblence between Joel and Win Yun Lee than Mackie and Joel.
    I'm with Killerbee I didnt see any of the actors carrying any mannerisms over.

Extraordinary Member

Definitely think Mackie is a better more charismatic actor. But all the male nudity is making it hard to get through -been past my limit since Watchmen.