View Poll Results: Who has the potential to achieve A-list status?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aztek

    6 6.59%
  • Black Condor

    1 1.10%
  • Black Orchid

    3 3.30%
  • Blue Beetle

    58 63.74%
  • El Diablo

    4 4.40%
  • El Dorado

    4 4.40%
  • Engineer

    4 4.40%
  • Fire

    11 12.09%
  • Firebrand

    0 0%
  • Jessica Cruz

    34 37.36%
  • Kyle Rayner

    22 24.18%
  • Renee Montoya

    17 18.68%
  • Sideways

    9 9.89%
  • Vibe

    16 17.58%
  • Other

    7 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 136 to 150 of 150
  1. #136
    Astonishing Member El_Gato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,840

    Default

    No surprise, Jaime Reyes is still leading the poll. Only thing Jaime is missing is a good live action version of him either a show or a movie! I wonder which will happen first
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

  2. #137
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,886

    Default

    Well he did have that appearance in Smallville......

    Oh, wait, you said "good" live action.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  3. #138
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    DC and Marvel have a lot of characters that play similar roles. Captain America and Superman are the heart and soul of their universes, Thor and Wonder Woman are the gods/demi-gods, Ironman and Batman are billionaire geniuses who wear tech suits, etc. but DC doesn’t really have an A list character who fits that Spider-Man role. They’ve tried on countless occasions to push a young “average Joe” superhero who is given great power and must cope with fighting crime and having a teen/college age social life. Firestorm, Kyle Rayner, Superboy, Wally West, but nothing has really stuck for long. I think Jaime could definitely be DC’s Spider-Man. Obviously no modern character will ever reach the popularity of Spidey, but Jaime could fill the role well. Put him on the Justice League as the junior member.
    I always thought spider-man was the heart and soul of marvel, the heart at least.

  4. #139
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I agree, the League is no place for kids.

    Jaime has the raw power and has dealt with some serious threats already, and he's a great kid with a good head on his shoulders. But he's still a kid. Put him with Young Justice and people his own age, let him join the League when he's 20.
    thata kindanunfair, wally was a kid when he joined the league.

  5. #140
    Incredible Member warzon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    990

    Default

    FIRE 0.jpgWish DC would do something more w Fire.i e has Human Torch potential

  6. #141
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    thata kindanunfair, wally was a kid when he joined the league.
    Jason Rusch was too and BATMAN demanded he be added to the team. Because he was too dangerous with his power to not have mentors.

  7. #142
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,895

    Default

    For a Hispanic superhero to become A or even B list they would definitely need a mainstream tv show or a movie. That’s gonna be challenging as Hollywood has a horrible track record with Hispanic representation.

    Here’s a excerpt from a recent USC study:

    “While Latinos represent one-fifth of the US population and about 25% of moviegoers, a recent USC Annenberg study found that their representation in the industry has halved over the last decade — from 6% of the entertainment workforce in 2009 to 3% today.

    The study found that among 1,200 popular films released between 2007 and 2018 (a sample of the top 100 films per year), just 4.5% of more than 47,000 speaking or named roles went to Latinx actors. Only 3% were lead or co-leads.“


    I know there is a rumored HBO Max Blue Beetle show in development, but with the current state of Hollywood, I’ll believe it when I see it.

  8. #143
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    thata kindanunfair, wally was a kid when he joined the league.
    Wally was still young, but he was a legal adult when Barry died and Wally took his place. He had already been in college so he was at least 18, and given the time between Wolfman's first NTT issues and Crisis I'd guess Wally was anywhere from 18-20. Which is young, but at least old enough to join the military, vote, and be considered an adult. Not to mention Wally was already more experienced than most adult heroes and had been wearing a costume for several years.

    I sorta-kinda get the rationale behind Jason-Firestorm; that's a whole lot of raw power to leave unchecked and Jason was a rookie with no idea what he was doing. I would've accepted it with Jaime too, if the League had said it when he first came on the scene. But now he's got some experience under his belt and he's proven capable of not blowing up buildings by mistake. So I think he's not old enough to join the League but not inexperienced enough to be babysat by them; let him join Young Justice or something for now, he can join the League later.

    The League has taken in minors before, but I don't think they should.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  9. #144

    Default

    I would say Kyle Rayner because to some fans, like me, he is the greatest Green Lantern of all time.

  10. #145
    Astonishing Member El_Gato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Wally was still young, but he was a legal adult when Barry died and Wally took his place. He had already been in college so he was at least 18, and given the time between Wolfman's first NTT issues and Crisis I'd guess Wally was anywhere from 18-20. Which is young, but at least old enough to join the military, vote, and be considered an adult. Not to mention Wally was already more experienced than most adult heroes and had been wearing a costume for several years.

    I sorta-kinda get the rationale behind Jason-Firestorm; that's a whole lot of raw power to leave unchecked and Jason was a rookie with no idea what he was doing. I would've accepted it with Jaime too, if the League had said it when he first came on the scene. But now he's got some experience under his belt and he's proven capable of not blowing up buildings by mistake. So I think he's not old enough to join the League but not inexperienced enough to be babysat by them; let him join Young Justice or something for now, he can join the League later.

    The League has taken in minors before, but I don't think they should.
    I memory serves me correct, Jaime is 18 years old, according to his last series. He’s legally an adult, with the fire power to join the league. The trouble is if he joins the league that’d would take a power house and popular character away from the Titans franchise (and yes he’s one of the more popular Titans, especially outside of comics). Then again it’s not like the Titans franchise are even using him as a member...


    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    For a Hispanic superhero to become A or even B list they would definitely need a mainstream tv show or a movie. That’s gonna be challenging as Hollywood has a horrible track record with Hispanic representation.

    Here’s a excerpt from a recent USC study:

    “While Latinos represent one-fifth of the US population and about 25% of moviegoers, a recent USC Annenberg study found that their representation in the industry has halved over the last decade — from 6% of the entertainment workforce in 2009 to 3% today.

    The study found that among 1,200 popular films released between 2007 and 2018 (a sample of the top 100 films per year), just 4.5% of more than 47,000 speaking or named roles went to Latinx actors. Only 3% were lead or co-leads.“


    I know there is a rumored HBO Max Blue Beetle show in development, but with the current state of Hollywood, I’ll believe it when I see it.
    Those are absolutely horrendous numbers! I thought it was just me but I have noticed a significant drop in Latino representation on the big screen now compared to the 2000’s-2010’s...
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

  11. #146
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I memory serves me correct, Jaime is 18 years old, according to his last series.
    Is he 18 now? I know he was scoping out colleges towards the end of his last series but I thought that was more of a "junior year, starting to make plans" thing. Been a while since I read those issues though.

    Well, if he's 18 then sure, let him join the League. He's definitely got the power and skill to join those ranks, and possibly more experience than some of the founding members had when the team was first formed. They'd be lucky to have him.

    Of course, he'll get treated the same way Vic has; turned into a background character with little to no spotlight moments. But he'll be in the Justice League.

    With the right creator it would be fantastic. But the League has become a dead end for heroes; it doesn't make you A-list, it's where the established A-list hang out. But as far as in-universe reasons for keeping him out of the League, his age was my only hangup. If he's 18 then I see no reason in-universe why he couldn't join.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  12. #147
    Fantastic Member Samm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    428

    Default

    I’d honestly like to see Jaime join the League alongside Ronnie/Jason Firestorm and Stargirl. I feel like those characters just go together Virgil too but since there’s this whole rights thing with Milestone, I doubt he’d join them.

  13. #148
    pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    City of Trees, CA
    Posts
    1,221

    Default

    Technically, they all have the potential w/ enough corporate push behind them (see the slow, methodical 8-year process Marvel took to make Iron-Man an A-lister).

    But in terms of which ones will maybe have it easier? Or be just more realistic? I'd go Montoya and Blue Beetle and that's pretty much. Vibe, Aztek, Black Orchid, and Engineer may have enough behind them to stand out as unique enough to really push. The GLs get lost in the shuffle w/ other GLs. The rest? Sorta...generic?
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 05-23-2020 at 02:32 PM. Reason: grammar
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

    DC - WW, JLD, Bgirl, B&TO
    Marvel - X-Men, Fallen Angels
    indie - lotsa Image and Vault, some others

  14. #149
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,160

    Default

    Jaime, Jessica, and since he already has been A list before and thus no reason it couldn't happen again with a new push, Kyle.

    I loved Bunker too but he's like any other New 52 holdover that hasn't just been outright erased/retconned: exists but irrelevant.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-23-2020 at 01:04 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  15. #150
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    FIRE 0.jpgWish DC would do something more w Fire.i e has Human Torch potential
    Yeah, but no one gives a damn about Johnny unless he's a member of the FF

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •