View Poll Results: Who has the potential to achieve A-list status?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aztek

7 6.80%
  • Black Condor

1 0.97%
  • Black Orchid

3 2.91%
  • Blue Beetle

67 65.05%
  • El Diablo

5 4.85%
  • El Dorado

5 4.85%
  • Engineer

4 3.88%
  • Fire

11 10.68%
  • Firebrand

0 0%
  • Jessica Cruz

40 38.83%
  • Kyle Rayner

25 24.27%
  • Renee Montoya

20 19.42%
  • Sideways

9 8.74%
  • Vibe

17 16.50%
  • Other

7 6.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Renee would be good in a Gotham Central revival or a solo where she's a PI in Gotham. Her being Question II is fine but it lost appeal once Vic came back. You could try to find her a new ID or come up with a new one like what Watchmen 2019 did.

Most of the choices are c-listers with a cool concept/niche. So in a potential solo series, you'd have to figure out who they are/were. For example, who is Fire when she's not with Ice and the JLI?

Jess and Kyle just need a title like Far Sector or JL Oddysey. They need something to do on their own or a team where they aren't a second-stringer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I agree, the League is no place for kids.

Jaime has the raw power and has dealt with some serious threats already, and he's a great kid with a good head on his shoulders. But he's still a kid. Put him with Young Justice and people his own age, let him join the League when he's 20.
    He’ll never reach A-list status by being with the Titans or Young Justice as both are treated like jokes in the comics (aka the minor leagues/ junior JL). Those teams haven’t done anything for its members in a long time! I’d rather have him on the League, with Firestorm and Stargirl. Try something new with the League, instead of the same old same old.

The only way I’d tolerate him with the Titans or YJ is if those teams are treated like equals to the League and not a kids club! Let them be the X-Men to The Justice League’s Avengers! But that won’t ever happen so... the League is the only option.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    He’ll never reach A-list status by being with the Titans or Young Justice as both are treated like jokes in the comics (aka the minor leagues/ junior JL). Those teams haven’t done anything for its members in a long time! I’d rather have him on the League, with Firestorm and Stargirl. Try something new with the League, instead of the same old same old.

The only way I’d tolerate him with the Titans or YJ is if those teams are treated like equals to the League and not a kids club! Let them be the X-Men to The Justice League’s Avengers! But that won’t ever happen so... the League is the only option.
    Titans are only a joke because of mismanagement. As for young justice, tv series has a fandom. Jaime becoming one of the "gods" will remove all the relatability from the character.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Titans are only a joke because of mismanagement. As for young justice, tv series has a fandom. Jaime becoming one of the "gods" will remove all the relatability from the character.
    Nah,
    I'm with El Gato on this one...

The story of someone dealing with real life and interaction with "The gods" is a tale as old as time.

Plus it makes him less likely to vanish and have a higher profile.,
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

You're not wrong that other teams get treated like they're less than the League, but I think the League is a dead-end for Jaime right now. Being on that team isn't going to get him into the A-list, and it's not the only way to become A-list.

Put him in the League, and make him a focus, and you'll have people complaining because Jaime is stealing panel time from the big guns. Put him in the League and let the major players keep their panel time and Jaime is no better off than Vic Stone. Put Jaime in a League B-title and it's no better than Titans or Young Justice, as far as the importance DC will give them. You're damned no matter what.

I think the best option for Jaime right now is a solid and consistent solo title that can build steam over the long term. He's got a good foundation, and with a little effort and patience could easily become a reliable, strong seller. Membership in a team book is secondary; just a way to introduce Jaime to more people and lead them to his solo. It doesn't matter if the team itself is considered a big deal, it's important that Jaime is seen being awesome and doing amazing, cool things fans will remember. In the main League book, the cool things are all reserved for Batman and there won't even be crumbs left for Jaime (again, look at Vic).

Once Jaime has been built up some, and is generating some real buzz, then maybe consider putting him on the League (I still say he's too young, though there's a precedent for it). But it should be a response to the market demanding more Jaime, not an artificial push from DC attempting to make him a bigger deal. We can look at Carol Danvers and Cyborg as examples of artificial pushes, and it doesn't seem like a terribly viable approach to me. I think if we really want Jaime (or any of these characters) to become major staples that will endure, we gotta play the long game. Making Jaime truly A-list can't be forced or rushed, it can only be encouraged, with DC responding to demand for quality Beetle with more quality Beetle, which will then increase demand for more quality Beetle.....

And the biggest piece of course is larger media. He needs a cartoon and some YA OGN's. I'd say he needs a movie but a DC movie is as likely to hurt him as help him.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I agree with you that being a JL member doesn’t automatically lead to A-list status but in fact can turn people against a character (ie Cyborg or Captain Marvel), especially if fans feel said character is taking a spot from an OG member like what happened to Cyborg. I just feel that being a JL member will at least keep him active in comics and he’ll finally be used in big events.

As far as the rest, I agree a solid long lasting solo book will do wonder for Jaime! One that expands his mythos, strengthens his support cast and villains as well as develops him further. He has a good foundation, solid support cast, good diverse rogues gallery (aliens, witches, time travelers, robots, meta humans..etc) and a cool visual/power set! Let’s hope he gets a OGN (like Raven and Beast Boy did) and that live action series happens on HBO Max because that’ll do wonders for him! A cartoon series would be cool too as YJ has shown he can potentially support one.

PS: hoping he’s still playable in Injustice 3 and still appears in YJ: Phantoms

The Titans and Young Justice may be treated like jokes in the comics but they aren't in adaptations and those mean far more these days. If anything their reputation is probably better than the League's among the mainstream audience. There have been plenty of characters who joined the League and didn't become A-listers. Plastic Man, Cynthia Reynolds and Vixen come to mind.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Nah,
    I'm with El Gato on this one...

The story of someone dealing with real life and interaction with "The gods" is a tale as old as time.

Plus it makes him less likely to vanish and have a higher profile.,
    It didn't happen with cyborg. He became stiff like them and basically uninteresting. Leave the kid alone. Furthermore, there is difference between man meeting gods and him joing them, as one of them. Writers will remove jaime's the unrounded edges and make him like the gods. That would suck.This is a team full of silverage flat arc characters. There isn't anyone like kyle or wally on this team. As said above, they don't even have plastic man in it. It's a team consisting of stiff dudes(regardless of barry's comic relif act.he is more of a speed god"). So dumping jaime in there would be bad for the character.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-02-2020 at 12:06 AM.

BANNED

Having him on the League would boost his profile, but he should be at least 22 and preferably at least 25. Spider-man wasn't ready for the Avengers until he reached that age. In the alternate versions of the team that have a teen Spider-man, characters regularly point out that he's too young and that it's irresponsible for him to be on the team.

I agree with you that being a JL member doesn’t automatically lead to A-list status but in fact can turn people against a character (ie Cyborg or Captain Marvel), especially if fans feel said character is taking a spot from an OG member like what happened to Cyborg. I just feel that being a JL member will at least keep him active in comics and he’ll finally be used in big events.
    Well, it might keep him active, you've got a good point there.

I dunno, I feel like with DC, they put someone on the League and say "Well, they're JLA now. The big guns. That should be enough!" and that's where the investment begins and ends. Look at the other characters who've been through this; Vic joined the League and it took two years for him to get even a halfass solo. Plastic Man is lucky to get a mini every ten years. I feel like if someone new joins the Big 7 League, that is *all* DC will do with that character.

Straight up, I think Jaime can do better than joining the Justice League.

PS: hoping he’s still playable in Injustice 3 and still appears in YJ: Phantoms
    Has there even been any news on Injustice 3? Is that even happening for real, or are we just assuming it will because, obviously it's gonna? Phantoms? Are we getting a YJ game?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, it might keep him active, you've got a good point there.

I dunno, I feel like with DC, they put someone on the League and say "Well, they're JLA now. The big guns. That should be enough!" and that's where the investment begins and ends. Look at the other characters who've been through this; Vic joined the League and it took two years for him to get even a halfass solo. Plastic Man is lucky to get a mini every ten years. I feel like if someone new joins the Big 7 League, that is *all* DC will do with that character.

Straight up, I think Jaime can do better than joining the Justice League.

Has there even been any news on Injustice 3? Is that even happening for real, or are we just assuming it will because, obviously it's gonna? Phantoms? Are we getting a YJ game?
    Going by the NRS pattern, Injustice 3 should be announced sometime this year and release next year (2021), although the corona virus might throw things off schedule. Jaime has a story reason to appear (formed the new JL) and he was a popular character, so I think he’ll return (fingers crossed).

As for YJ:Phantoms is the name of the 4th season for Young Justice.

Blue Beetle I would say.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I agree, I like the idea of Jaime being with people in his age group but it was never executed well to me outside of the show. I feel the same way about Static.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member

Honestly putting non A-Listers on the JL is usually reducing the status of the team and not increasing the status of the new members.
    The status of the League comes from having the A-Listers on the team, not the other way around.

the League is the only option
    JSA seems a better option to me if they bring back an incarnation similar to the pre Flashpoint version.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Honestly putting non A-Listers on the JL is usually reducing the status of the team
    Cyborg wasn't even a B lister before he was forced into the JL.