Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Boisterously Confused

Default What Marvel Character Has Changed The Most From Their Debut?

I'm not talking about changes in which character carries a name, like the many different Captain Marvels, I mean which character is the most remarkably different than what their original creator gave us?

My vote actually would be the current Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers, who began existence as backup love interest/Lois Lane-esque secret identity threat in Mar-Vell's original feature way back in the day.

Beast. Originally looked human, and was a bit of a jock. Nowadays, he looks like a blue animal, and he turned out to be one of the smartest people in the Marvel Universe.

Songbird and Mach. These two started out as villains, Screaming Mimi and Beetle. Nowadays they're both trying to work for good, not evil. The other Thunderbolts keep relapsing into villainy, but not Melissa and Abner.

Janet Van Dyne. Originally a flighty fashion-obsessed teen sidekick to Hank Pym, she matured greatly and ended up leading the Avengers and learning a lot of science - she's now the head of the Ant-Man family, owning all the patents to the Pym tech.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Probably Wolverine, Len Wein and Roy Thomas intended him to be a teenager that was mean to be sort of a Canadian Spider-Man with Claws instead of webs, and super-senses instead of Spider-Sense. That's definetly not what he is today, he is an century old man that might be immortal (at least when it comes aging) and is heavily inspired by Clint Eastwood.

Plus his claws were supposed to be part of his gloves instead of coming from his body. And that's just the first of many retcons. Also he wasn't supposed to have amnesia, in spite of what the cartoon and Fox movies popularized about him.

The next one might be Daredevil, i know less about him, so his fans can correct me, but for what i understand he originally was sort of like an Spider-Man that have some spooky adventures ocasionally, until Miller came and added a lot to the past of the characther (his training, his relationship with Elektra, his anger issues, etc) and overall turned him into a more noir characther. But as i said, i don't know as much about him, pre-Miller, my limited knowledge came from a friend here in CBR.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Nova went from Spider-Man/Green Lantern mix-up to a cosmic war-hero.

Groot was originally a king sized war conquering monarch who spoke perfectly fine.

His current team mate Starlord was originally a cold hearted murdering vengeance driven jerk who who's mother was murdered by aliens before his eyes as a child and how he along with his intelligent space ship explored cosmic philosophy.

BANNED

It would be interesting to find characters who are "unchanged" or least changed because I think practically all the major characters changed from how they were originally introduced (though obviously Marvel people under Quesada would froth at the mouth in denial they have).

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It would be interesting to find characters who are "unchanged" or least changed because I think practically all the major characters changed from how they were originally introduced (though obviously Marvel people under Quesada would froth at the mouth in denial they have).
    Steve Rogers hasn't changed much.