3- The Dark Knight Returns
    4- Heart of Hush
    5- Black Mirror
    6- Year One
    7- Court of Owls
    8- Death and Maidens
    9- No Man's Land
    10- Black Glow
    Hard choices to do, those are not bad, not the best in my opinion.
    I really think Batman should be read in runs or in eras.
    Because, those runs make up largers stories that are way better.

Here would my choices be but in not order (and yes a little more than 10):

• Batman: Strange Apparitions + Batman: Dark Detective
    • Batman: Year One + Batman and the Monster Men + Batman and the Mad Monk + The Man Who Laughs + Batman: Prey + Batman: Terror
    • The Long Halloween + The Dark Victory + Catwoman: When In Rome
    • Robin: Year One + Batgirl: Year One + The Killing Joke + Death in the Familly + A Lonely Place of Dying + Batman: Under the Red Hood + Red Hood: The Lost Days
    • The Sword of Azrael + Knigthfall (new omnibus)
    • Contagion + Legacy + Catclysm + No Man's Land
    • New Gotham + Turning Point + Gotham Central + Bruce Wayne: Murderer ? + Bruce Wayne: Fugitive
    • Batman: Hush + Batman: Detective + Batman: Death and the City + Batman: Private Casebook + Batman: Heart of Hush + Batman, Streets of Gotham: Hush Money + Batman, Streets of Gotham: Leviathan + Batman, Streets of Gotham: The House of Hush
    • Birth of the Demon + Bride of the Demon + Birth of the Demon + The Resurection of Ra's Al Ghul + Batman & Son + Batman & Robin + Batman Inc + Batman & Robin New52 + We are Robin + Robin, Son of Batman
    • Batman: Court of Owls + Nightwing: Traps and Trapezes + Batman: Night of Owls + Nightwing: Night of the Owls
    • Emperor Penguin + The Wrath + Gothtopia + Icarus + Anarky
    • Batman: The Cult
    • Arkham Assylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth
    • Joker by Lee Bermejo
    • Batman: Earth One
    • Batman/Dracula: Red Rain + Batman: Bloodstorm + Batman: Crimson Mist
    • Batman: Gotham by Gaslight + Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham
    • Batman: Year 100
    • Batman: Mad Love
    • Batman: Ego
    Last edited by jb681131; 03-15-2020 at 02:47 PM.

BANNED

Almost everythings is ok but just no to this:

Emperor Penguin + The Wrath + Gothtopia

I have read these pieces of crap unfortunaly and i want my time and money back... It was so bad, oh so bad...

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

In no particular order (not counting runs, but counting events):

Batman: Strange Apparitions
    Batman: Year One
    Batman Gothic
    Batman: Prey
    The Long Halloween
    Batman Venom
    Dark Knight Returns
    Batman Blind Justice
    Batman: The Cult
    Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth

As you can tell, I think Legends of The Dark Knight disproportionately contributed more of the best arcs in Batman history than any Batman title. A number of LOTDK arcs just narrowly missed making this list. Like Bryan Talbot's Mask. Or Robinson's Blades. Or Going Sane (which contains one of my favorite single scenes in Batman comics). Or maybe Shaman.

Monster Men/Mad Monk also almost made the list. There are great 70s stories I didn't include too lamentably.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-15-2020 at 05:16 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

1) Grant Morrison's Run on Batman from Batman and Son, the Black Glove, RIP, Batman and Robin, The Return of Bruce Wayne and Batman Incorporated. 2006-13

This is the run I return to again and again, in my mind Batman has never been better written than in these pages. Great characterization for Bruce, fantastic use of just about all the supporting characters and an overarching story that really gives you a sense of character evolution.

2)Batman: Sanctum from Legends of the Dark Knight #54, 1993
    This under read gem is a mash up of your typical Batman story and the horror genre which is a favorite of mine and it manages to succeed on both fronts as it provides a great supernatural thriller and story that really gets to the roots of who Batman is.

3)Batman: Under the Red Hood from Batman #635-641, #645-50 and Batman Annual #25, 2005-06
    This is the book that brought back Jason Todd and in stunning fashion, again it's great because it really gave us that illusion of change in Batman's world.

4)Batman: Made of Wood from Detective Comics #784–786, 2006
    Batman teaming up with the original Green Lantern is just an awesome concept; it's frankly an idea which would be great enough to make this list for me even if it were only that but on top of that it features Batman doing some actual detective work which is just amazing.

5)Batman: Stories from Legends of the Dark Knight #94, 1997
    the framing narrative here is a simple one: various people trapped on an elevator tell stories about their encounters with Batman. The meat of the issue however is an excuse to celebrate the various eras of Batman's history as each person's story is done in an art style paying homage to a different time which is just a great idea.

6)Batman: Night of the Stalker from Detective Comics #439, 1974
    This is a very straight forward one and done is just executed perfectly as Batman hunts down a trio of thugs attempting to flea Gotham after committing a senseless murder. It's got great action, suspense and it gives us a look at Batman's origin with out retelling the whole thing.

7) Batman Strange Apparitions from Detective Comics #469-479, 1977-78
    Featuring villains like Hugo Strange, the Joker, Deadshot, and Rupert Thorne, these stories are all filled with plenty of action, explore the man behind the mask as well. Oh, and I'd be remiss if I failed to mention one of my favorite of Bruce's love interests, Silver St. Cloud, she's seriously amazing.

8)Batman: Ego, 2000
    The art by Darwyn Cooke is the real draw here but the deep psychological look at what makes Batman tick was great too.
    9)Batman: The Black Mask from Batman #386-387 and Detective Comics #553, 1985
    This story features the introduction to one of my favorite villains: The Black Mask.
    10)Batman: Battle for the Cowl, 2009
    I don't usually care for events but this look at the fallout of the "death" of Batman was really solid. It really gave us a great story that explored how those closest to Batman saw him and how his passing affected them.

Honorable Mentions:
    Year One: what more can be said, it's a great intro and I read it often but it doesn't bring me the joy that the others above do.
    The first two parts of Zero Year: I think if this had a better conclusion(I hated the whole mad max drowned city bit with the Riddler) this would have made my list. I love the look at a young Bruce Wayne and the Red Hood gang was really well done.
    Monster Men/Mad Monk: These are great takes on early Batman tales with some fantastic art.
    Batman: Gothic: This earlier work by Morrison gives us a fun noir take on Batman but it lacks a real punch and wanders a bit in the middle.
    Batman: Court of Owls: The villains are a fantastic concept of a cabal of evil that has always tainted Gotham but Snyder failed to stick the landing at the end.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post

I have read these pieces of crap unfortunaly and i want my time and money back... It was so bad, oh so bad...
    I didn't care for Emperor Penguin either but I thought the reinvention of the Wrath was pretty solid. Nearly made my honorable mentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post

Well I guess you ought to re-redead them with more care.
    And when you assert that "it was so bad, oh so bad..." you should at least say why you are so fierce, oh so fierce... !

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Well I guess you ought to re-redead them with more care.
    And when you assert that "it was so bad, oh so bad..." you should at least say why you are so fierce, oh so fierce... !
    I'm searching my memory just for you my rat friend... lol that's a rat on your avatar right ? lol ...
    They are not worth remembering but... I thought Emperor Penguin was the story that Penguin deserves... But instead we got ogylvy or whatever his name was. He immitated penguin or something and became number 1 in the crime world... I don't give a flying **** about this ogylvy character as a reader, you won't believe it... this D lister character that no one gives **** about and no where now as expected... Doesn't deserve any kind of push. It's such a disservice. Nonesence story.

The Wrath was too short first of all... Not in anyway establishing The Wrath as the anti-Batman but used him again in a fill in forgetable story as a C lister villain, only thing they did was the new costumes... Bringing in The Wrath like this showed They were out of ideas.

Gothtopia... lol what a stupid name. Batman was happy in utopic Gotham in this story. There were these new bat family members who were cringe worthy. Especially the one that considered ''even darker than batman'' lol it's desing was lame, and it's such a cringy piece of crap... OMG thanks alot for reminding me those gabeges again... I will start to hit my head to a wall over and over again and forget, i hope.... lol
    Last edited by Gurz; 03-15-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Incredible Member

In no particular order:

- Batman Year One
    - Batman Year Two
    - The Dark Knight Returns
    - Ten Nights Of The Beast
    - Batman The Cult
    - The Killing Joke
    - Batman Special 1984 ( The Player On The Other Side)
    - Batman vs. Predator
    - Batman Venom
    - Detective Comics #526 (All My Enemies Against Me)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    In no particular order:

- Batman Year One
    - Batman Year Two
    - The Dark Knight Returns
    - Ten Nights Of The Beast
    - Batman The Cult
    - The Killing Joke
    - Batman Special 1984 ( The Player On The Other Side)
    - Batman vs. Predator
    - Batman Venom
    - Detective Comics #526 (All My Enemies Against Me)
    I forgot about Batman vs Predator ! That was so good.

Hunter's Moon...

Predators always look for preys at their prime, the best of the spieces, fastest, strongest... They live for the challange of the hunt. And what better prey but Batman could live up to these standarts. A Predator at Gotham, found Batman. Even Batman was unprepared for such a fierces hunter, and bearly escaped in batmobile after a big and pretty much one sided battle against the Predator, with heavy wounds from the battle. But leaving Batman alive was a big mistake, Batman got healed in the bat cave with the help of Alfred. And got prepeared for the Predator. An armor and nececasry gadgets. Now, the predator was gonna get the challenge he was looking for. A fierces Battle Between them and this time Batman was victorious. Hunter's moon in the night upon them. The best humankind can offer once again beated the Predator. May be another young Predator couldn't pass his adulthood challange or this time the seasoned hunter Predator met his match. Whatever the sport behind the predators hunt, he was bested...

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

No particular order of preference, just as they come to me

1. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
    2. Strange Apparitions
    3. Gothic
    4. Mad Love
    5. Morrison's entire run
    6. Dark Detective
    7. New Gotham (post-NML/Pre- Murderer period)
    8. Dreadful Birthday, Dear Joker
    9. Mortal Clay
    10. The Garden of Earthly Delights- a Swamp Thing story, but I love the use of Batman here.

Retired

I'm so old school that I think a story is between 8 and 26 pages and contained within a single newsstand comic book. Sticking to that strict rule, and thus leaving out any multi issue stories, I still can't contain my list to only ten. Cutting it down as much as I might and leaving out anything from 1978 onward, it's an even dozen. But these stories represent the best of my favourite Batman creators.

1. no title [Batman vs Duc d'Orterre], DETECTIVE COMICS 34 (December 1939), Gardner Fox/Bob Kane/Sheldon Moldoff
    2. "The Case of the Honest Crook," BATMAN 5 (Spring 1941), Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Jerry Robinson
    3. "The Case Without a Crime," DETECTIVE COMICS 112 (June 1946), Alvin Schwartz/Win Mortimer
    4. "Ride, Bat-Hombre, Ride," BATMAN 56 (December 1949-January 1950), David V. Reed/Dick Sprang/Charles Paris
    5. "The Jungle Cat-Queen" DETECTIVE COMICS 211 (September 1954), Edmond Hamilton/Dick Sprang/Charles Paris
    6. "Prisoners of Three Worlds," BATMAN 153 (February 1963), Bill Finger/Sheldon Moldoff/Charles Paris
    7. "Beware of--Poison Ivy," BATMAN 181 (June 1966), Bob Kanigher/Sheldon Moldoff/Joe Giella
    8. "The Dynamic Duo's Double Death-Trap," DETECTIVE COMICS 361 (March 1967), Gardner Fox/Carmine Infantino/Sid Greene
    9. "The Frigid Finger of Fate," DETECTIVE COMICS 375 (May 1968), Gardner Fox/Chic Stone/Sid Greene
    10. "The Daughter of the Demon," BATMAN 232 (June 1971), Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams/Dick Giordano
    11. "The Night of the Stalker," DETECTIVE COMICS 439 (February-March 1974), Steve Englehart/Sal & Vin Amendola/Dick Giordano
    12. "The Deadshot Ricochet," DETECTIVE COMICS 474 (December 1977), Steve Englehart/Marshall Rogers/Terry Austin

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Robin Dies At Dawn
    To Kill a Legend
    There is No Hope in Crime Alley
    Five Ways of Joker's Revenge
    The Laughing Fish
    The Autobiography of Bruce Wayne
    The Killing Joke
    Batman Year One
    The Long Halloween
    The Court of Owls

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

These are not necessarily the BEST, but the ones that mean the most to me for various reasons:

Year One
    Black Mirror
    Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive
    All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold #13 - Calling All Robins
    Batman: Knightmares
    Batman: City of Bane
    Batman: Cold Days
    The Annuals from Tom King's run (1, 2, 4)
    The Man Who Falls/Detective Comics Annual #1
    James Tynion's run from Batman Eternal to Detective Comics #981 (so far not counting his Batman run, but that may be added later)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Black Mirror
    The Long Halloween
    Batman: Year One
    Arkham Assylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth
    Dark Victory(not much love for this one im noticing)
    No Man's Land
    The Court of Owls
    End Game
    Heart of Hush
    Morrison's Batman & Robin(hard to pic only one arc on this one)
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 03-16-2020 at 02:12 PM. Reason: conpletely forgot NML, replacing The Cult