View Poll Results: SUPERMAN & LOIS is _________

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great. The best possible premise for the character right note

    4 8.33%
  • Good. A worthwhile premise IF they hit the major marks

    19 39.58%
  • Iffy. This could go so bad so fast, or it could be amazing

    13 27.08%
  • Meh. Don't like this particular premise as is

    9 18.75%
  • Nope. Can't get past Tyler Hoechlin's Supes getting pooped on by Supergirl

    1 2.08%
  • Shoot. Missed opportunity for Brandon Routh

    0 0%
  • Grrr. I wanted MOS 2 and got this as a consolation prize

    2 4.17%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49
  1. #16
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,426

    Default

    I am iffy. I just want something of quality. I don't want another mediocre series.

  2. #17
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,909

    Default

    Ehhh I don't really know at the moment. In the beginning when I heard the first snippets about this show I was extremely down on it partially because I wasn't very impressed by Tyler Hoechlin's performance (and still am not) but also because the byline premise of the show seemed to lean heavily into the sort Mayberry style monotony that people try to force onto Superman as a counterbalance to the abundance or self pitying darkness that permeates in the other characters they like.

    But I will say that the script leak did alleviate some of the concerns I had. I don't like that they're forcing farmer Clark back onto Superman who traditionally uses his words to educate people, but other stuff does sound interesting. The show has some real life problems in it that don't sound like they were made solely to appeal to teenybopper drama, but real stuff that at least seems to hearken back to the sort of working class struggles that represent one of the pillars that make up the character and the franchise. The stuff with the two sons could be interesting I don't know I didn't read to heavily into the script to get a real feel for it but the basic gist I got from it was interesting. Tulloch's Lois was fine from what I saw in Supergirl. There are certain CWisms that I think are going to be inevitable though.

    Still Hoechlin is the main man of this show and the fact that Brandon Routh outshined him so easily despite Routh himself not exactly being known as a great Superman is pretty telling. He's being cast as a Superman with real problems going on in his life and I think the best depictions of Superman don't try to show him as a guy with no problems but as someone who carries his problems with dignity and strength. This iteration of Superman has problems going on for him and I'm not sure Hoechlin is up for it.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

  3. #18
    Astonishing Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    I voted good. I really like Hoechlin and Tulloch as Clark and Lois. Hoechlin really nails a take on Superman that I have enjoyed. It's a quiet confidence, kindness, and a little edge from his first couple of episodes and the Elseworld crossover. He definitely needs a new suit, and I'm hopeful that that leaked one sticks. Tulloch's Lois is great, I just hope that she gets more to do than is shown in the pilot. I'm a little iffy on some aspects of the pilot script. I wanted a Metropolis/Daily Planet based series, not Smallville 2.0, but they do seem to be taking it in a different direction. The setting does seem to be leaning towards a more current events type take on the deterioration of small towns and predatory big corporations. It'll be interesting to see if they can land that stuff without getting too cartoony.

    The more worrying aspects are Lana apparently being set up as the pining old flame. It's such a garbage take and literally the worst use of the character over the years. But the script doesn't lean that hard into it and seems to set Lois & Lana up as working together, so hopefully they don't go that route. The twins aspect is also a little iffy to me and initially unnecessary in the way a lot of CW tweaks on things are, but both seemed to be used well in the script. The overall dialogue for the kids needs improvement.

    Routh's Superman in Crisis was just boring to me and seemed to embody all the worst aspects of the character we see complaints about (empty speeches about hope, and then dying). So no missed opportunity there for me. Kingdom Come is a terrible Superman story anyways, so I have zero interest in seeing anything else from that take either.

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am iffy. I just want something of quality. I don't want another mediocre series.
    This so much.

    I think it's very important that Superman gets well written and produced shows and movies right now to keep him relevant and raise his profile even more. Remind people why Superman is a classic and timeless superhero. Bad or so so writing won't help at all. It will only make the haters keep bashing the character and saying he's boring. Personally, I don't have faith in the CW to do him the justice he really needs right now.

    And have you seen the CW/Arrowverse ratings lately? So bad. I somehow doubt a Superman show with these leads and on this network will change that in an important way. Not even Crisis did it..
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-16-2020 at 09:36 AM.

  5. #20
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    7,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I think in her first crossover (Elseworlds?) she said some dumb feminist remark about girls been better than boys at something. It was so weird and forced like many things in that ep, IMO.
    Something along the lines of women like to talk it out over punching first. Ignoring the fact that Clark's cousin Kara often talks about how much she loves punching someone and Kara usually only talks when punching doesn't work.

  6. #21
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,227

    Default

    I'd be more inclined if it were on a network besides CW or SyFy.

  7. #22
    Incredible Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    657

    Default

    I'll watch it because I've been wanting a traditional Superman show for a while but I'd would have preferred it on a different network in it's own continuity.

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'd be more inclined if it were on a network besides CW or SyFy.
    I liked Krypton.

  9. #24
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    6,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I liked Krypton.
    Eh, the love triangle got old after 2-3 episodes. I did enjoy the Lobo episode though.

  10. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Eh, the love triangle got old after 2-3 episodes. I did enjoy the Lobo episode though.
    Yeah I don’t remember buying the relationships between either of them, lol. But I was watching for the villains, didn’t really care whose mom Superman’s grandpa ended up with. I still say they should grab the actors for Zod, Lobo and Brainiac for this show. Just say Walter Steele was secretly an evil kryptonian all along or got erased by crisis or flashpoint or something.

  11. #26
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I voted good. I really like Hoechlin and Tulloch as Clark and Lois. Hoechlin really nails a take on Superman that I have enjoyed. It's a quiet confidence, kindness, and a little edge from his first couple of episodes and the Elseworld crossover. He definitely needs a new suit, and I'm hopeful that that leaked one sticks. Tulloch's Lois is great, I just hope that she gets more to do than is shown in the pilot. I'm a little iffy on some aspects of the pilot script. I wanted a Metropolis/Daily Planet based series, not Smallville 2.0, but they do seem to be taking it in a different direction. The setting does seem to be leaning towards a more current events type take on the deterioration of small towns and predatory big corporations. It'll be interesting to see if they can land that stuff without getting too cartoony.

    The more worrying aspects are Lana apparently being set up as the pining old flame. It's such a garbage take and literally the worst use of the character over the years. But the script doesn't lean that hard into it and seems to set Lois & Lana up as working together, so hopefully they don't go that route. The twins aspect is also a little iffy to me and initially unnecessary in the way a lot of CW tweaks on things are, but both seemed to be used well in the script. The overall dialogue for the kids needs improvement.

    Routh's Superman in Crisis was just boring to me and seemed to embody all the worst aspects of the character we see complaints about (empty speeches about hope, and then dying). So no missed opportunity there for me. Kingdom Come is a terrible Superman story anyways, so I have zero interest in seeing anything else from that take either.
    All of this. The premise is solid though not the premise I was hoping for. I wanted a traditional setting in Metropolis with Lois and Clark both at the Planet and I feel cheated it’s not what we are getting. I’ll give this premise a chance so long as they keep the Lana BS in check and recognize that literally no one has tolerance for that crap in 2020. They also need to invest in Lois more and keep her as an equal pov on the show. The pilot script did not treat her as an equal which was troubling to say the least.

    Tyler and Elizabeth are great. I disagree with those who claim Tyler has no presence. He has tons of charisma. He oozes kindness. He is very much the kind of Clark Kent that you could have a real conversation with. His warmth is tangible. As for him not being good looking? LOL. I mean, to each their own but I find him super hot. Elizabeth was good in Elseworlds but it was really in Crisis where she just flat out seemed to jump so deep into the role that she felt completely like Lois. As leads, they are going to be good together. So at the very least, they will work together so long as the script is good.

  12. #27
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    174

    Default

    I really have no desire to watch this... and I'm a die-hard Superman fan. I'm just over all the CW shows and got off the Arrowverse train after the big Crisis crossover. I tried to stick with "Supergirl" and "The Flash" for a few weeks afterwards, but my eyes got sore from all the rolling they were doing to the back of my head. Little things I've read about the premise of the show don't excite me and make me want to watch it either. I'll give the pilot a shot and hope they prove me wrong, but I really don't have the energy or desire to waste anymore time on these CW shows. I think I just outgrew them.

  13. #28
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,742

    Default

    Zero desire to watch this, but the CW shows just don't appeal to me in general. A lot of the actors are fine, but the writing and execution is just too cheap/campy for my tastes. I watched like one episode of Arrow and that killed any interest I had in watching any of the others.
    This is good for the character as it's still far more than a lot of other characters are getting, but I'd vastly prefer a good film series or animated series to a live action tv show. Plus the premise just doesn't interest me. But I hope it does well for the characters sake and that people find stuff to enjoy about it.

  14. #29
    Astonishing Member Adekis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    I voted for "Iffy", but it sure is true that I wanted Man of Steel II and got this instead. Still, it could be a good show. I'm planning to watch it. We just gotta wait and see if it's any good.

    I'm still holding out hope that they could bring Cavill back for more Superman movies though. I've heard that Dwayne Johnson wants his Black Adam to go up against Cavill's Superman, and I think that could work really well if they went for it.
    WHEN YOU DON'T VOTE, IT ISN'T REBELLION, IT'S SURRENDER!

    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

  15. #30
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    4,620

    Default

    Until the whole Cavill thing is sorted out, I don't think we should get our hopes up for another movie anytime soon. So this might be what we're getting for the time being. I think we need to follow this carefully and try to keep the producers in line. Something like this can be fun but it can also go Riverdale very quickly as well. I don't mind the boys getting attention on the show but let's not let them get in the way of the Superman stuff.
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •