Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Now that both New York and California have shut down, I can't imagine Marvel or DC Comics sending more books to the printer until this quarantine is over.

Just got an email from one of my smaller, local CB Stores. They will be open today, after that they will close until restrictions are lifted.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

My local store was going to stay open doing the things I listed above. But the city is giving him push back. So he is closing the store. But he will still come in on his own to mail out comics to people. At least until they get on him for that. I went last week and stocked up on a lot of stuff. I am not hurting too bad as I dont read that much new stuff. I have the comic services for the back issues so I am doing fine.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...r-coronavirus/

Wonder how soon until other publishers follow, hard to sell anything with shops closing, and digital comics can probably not compensate.

As far as I understand it, both Marvel and DC offices are locked down. So I'm guessing that if future comics don't have print-ready digital files already at the printer, they won't be published until this is over!

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    As far as I understand it, both Marvel and DC offices are locked down. So I'm guessing that if future comics don't have print-ready digital files already at the printer, they won't be published until this is over!
    Marvel and DC don't have any in-house printers. They outsource to a variety of different printing companies across the country. I just took a peak at a few recent comics and none of them came from the same printer. And on top of that, everything is done digitally these days, so it's not like the anyone is printing off proofs anymore. So, theoretically, comic companies will be able to continue to produce material as long as the printers remain open.

Extraordinary Member

The one in my area basically said they are going to do a pick up format

In my area, even curbside service is forbidden. Shipping is available, I'm happy to say!
    Last edited by captchuck; 03-21-2020 at 12:56 PM.

As far as you know, do the editors work from home? Can they approve comics for publication from home even when the main offices are closed because of lock-down?
    I don't think they do work from home. But more importantly, they CAN work from home since everything is digital. My wife has a job where she goes to an office to do her work. She is currently working from home because her job was able to make the switch. Marvel and DC can if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Marvel and DC don't have any in-house printers. They outsource to a variety of different printing companies across the country. I just took a peak at a few recent comics and none of them came from the same printer. And on top of that, everything is done digitally these days, so it's not like the anyone is printing off proofs anymore. So, theoretically, comic companies will be able to continue to produce material as long as the printers remain open.
    As far as you know, do the editors work from home? Can they approve comics for publication from home even when the main offices are closed because of lock-down?

I guess I don't understand the re-phrase of the question. There is no reason why they should not be able to work from home.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I guess I don't understand the re-phrase of the question. There is no reason why they should not be able to work from home.
    I'm sorry. I ended up creating a double post while attempting to make an edit. I was referring to the number of steps and people each page needs to go through to be approved. I'm guessing every page needs to go through proofreading, legal, color correction, mechanical (how the page floats on the page). There are also ad pages, editorial pages and I assume some level of approval from the publisher. I was wondering if this could all work smoothly with everyone working at home.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

I heard that Free Comicbook Day has been postponed with no new date yet.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

My store is closing as of Monday. The state has been put on lockdown.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member

Here in California in the Los Angeles area the two stores that I frequent are still in business but will have shorter hours, curbside pickup and sanitized areas before opening and closing hours.

I only visited my LCS maybe once a month and for the time being I can wait out the whole ordeal, on the bright side it will also leave me with extra cash that I can pay bills with.