Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Characters with untapped potential

Just as the title suggests, which characters in the MU do you think have untapped potential? I’ll list one or two that came to mind -

Karnak - If really given the right push, he could quite easily drift away from the Inhuman franchise. His power is so incredibly unique and opens up for some great storytelling. Ellis has a go at him, but I feel like he needed longer or more of a push to really cement his potential.

The Hood - A gangster that needs to work his way up the ladder? Trying to work his way to the top and he his own boss, all the while wearing a cloak that an unknown demon possesses (take Dormammu out of the equation and there’s still a demon in there)

Black Knight - I’m sure we will see something with the Eternals movie coming out...but I remember thinking for quite some time that he was a great character that Marvel could use...especially with all the Game of Thrones/Jon Snow hype that had been going around for a good 5 years. Let’s see if Marvel dip into that now he’s a star in the films.

Nighthawk.

The quintessential Defender is Marvel’s Blue Beetle.
    I love the idea of a B lister getting into out of his depth adventures. He’s super rich, has his own magical adviser, knows four of Marvel’s most powerful heroes (and bunch of not so powerful ones), and has a burning desire to be taken seriously.
    Edit: forgot the part time super power, and the dozens of old unused Marvel villains just waiting to become his rogues gallery.
    -sigh-

Almost makes me wanna write fan fic.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 03-15-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Jennifer Kale.

A good chunk of the Marvel UK stuff; Dark Angel etc.

You could do wonders with Fool Killer, especially in these days of social media.

Astonishing Member

Karima_Shapandar.jpg

Omega Sentinel. She should be one of the Big Guns in the X-men, being a Prime Sentinel. Give her a solo having adventures all over Marvel.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 03-15-2020 at 08:21 PM.

I feel sort of lucky as a lot of the B-C list characters who I felt had potential growing up (Cage, Black Panther, Moon Knight) have gotten a fair amount of love in the last decade or so.

But as far as guys feel still need some attention... I'd say Hellstrom and Dr. Voodoo. They both seem like fun characters with the right writer and the right push.

Ka-Zar and the Savage Land.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    A good chunk of the Marvel UK stuff; Dark Angel etc.
    Came here to say this.

Also Jesse Bedlam.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Omega Sentinel. She should be one of the Big Guns in the X-men, being a Prime Sentinel. Give her a solo having adventures all over Marvel.
    Sadly, she's currently more of an antagonist working for (or with) the anti-mutant organization ORCHIS in Jonathan Hickman's X-Men.

That said, my contribution is Anya "Arana" Corazon/Spider-Girl. While there may be "too many Spider-People" running around these days, she does still have a lot of untapped potential in my view, especially if one goes back to her original stories compared to her later issues. Maybe drawing on those original stories where she was more unique as opposed to being "just another spider-powered hero(ine)" would do the trick.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 03-15-2020 at 06:19 PM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That said, my contribution is Anya "Arana" Corazon/Spider-Girl. While there may be "too many Spider-People" running around these days, she does still have a lot of untapped potential in my view, especially if one goes back to her original stories compared to her later issues. Maybe drawing on those original stories where she was more unique as opposed to being "just another spider-powered hero(ine)" would do the trick.
    Agreed. In all honesty, never understood why the change was ever made in the first place.

Longshot

I feel like he's pretty unique. He's an alien acrobat with luck powers, rubbery skin and four-fingered hands, and said luck is dependent on his karma. In terms of fights, he's pretty fun to watch, relying on acrobatics over strength and using throwing knives with precision. Also, he's a chick magnet who all the ladies want to be with, and he certainly doesn't mind.

On top of that, he's an X-Man, and is very associated with the Mutant MU... despite not actually being a mutant himself. Yet, he's not used all that much, certainly not in a starring role. He occasionally guest stars, especially when Mojoworld is relevant, or is a supporting character to someone, and you might catch him hanging with the X-Men at times, but it's been a long time since he mattered much.

With the current Dawn of X status quo meaning he can't be part of Krakoa, I hope they do a mini with him as the lead, going about the ramifications of not being allowed to be among his friends.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Ordinarily I would reply Blue Marvel or Synch here, but instead of the obvious answers I'm going to go with Sun Girl (Selah Burke). She would be my choice for the next big push. Give her a standalone limited series and place her in the Avengers main squad for a short spell. I'd ditch the wings in favor of Horusian (aliens) "sun disk" technology originally bio-engineered specifically for her father. I might even retcon her father's history to include some type of clandestine project between the US government and a powerful Horusian prefect that was spearheaded by Selah's father. Selah ultimately becomes the benefactor of the hybrid technology.

Oh, and cast Herizen F. Guardiola for the role of Sun Girl in the MCU. She's a rising star. Perfect fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 03-15-2020 at 09:33 PM.

My contribution would be BLACKWULF and his Underground Legion (especially Sparrow):

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-16-2020 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Added more words.

Hyperion and Nighthawk. Specifically I would love to see the versions from the JMS Supreme Power run but I doubt that Hyperion will ever show up again, although that version of Kyle Richmond did actually get a solo series by David F. Walker a few years ago that was tragically cut short. I also loved Hyperion under Hickman as well.

Like I would love to see Hyperion just come in a wreck Sentry when he gets out of hand.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I’d love to see Firebird brought back for a major story that focused on her.