THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman issue #21 spoiler discussion

Was really scared of what the pacing would be like for this arc, but so far this has hummed along very nicely. Outside of issue 19 this is my favorite issue for the arc. The cutting back and forth between space and Earth/Clark and Lois was excellent. And I really dig how the two big idealistic leaps of faith in the book (Jon coming up with the UP, and Clark speaking his truth) are under attack at the same time. Also, I think Bendis is three for three on pitch perfect "don't you make me come back there" Superman surrogate dad moments.

Plus, Mongul and Clark punch each other from planet to planet? *Chef's kiss*

And, it's a small thing, but seeing a random Thanagarian solder put a coat on Clark after the fight, and Clark flying home with it on was strangely satisfying for me in a way.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-11-2020 at 05:34 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

It just occurred to me that the idea that civilizations out in space getting some Earth broadcasts--particularly broadcasts dealing with Superman-- is something that was set up in issue 7 of Superman (Jon tells his parents about it), then reinforced in the Superman: Villains special (the Mongul before this one watching Superman reveal his identity to Earth), and now it's being payed off in this arc with someone who was present and recording the day of the formation of the United Planets sends the file to Earth.

An instance of a seed being planted and now ready for a big time harvest. Solid stuff.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I have to say that I actually kind of like that 1. when in trouble Superman called the Justice League for help and 2. That Superman's in trouble not because he revealed his identity, but because he forgot to mention the United Planets. It's an interesting take if you ask me, and it kind of makes sense the government would be more concerned that Superman's trying to set himself up as King instead of oh he was a reporter the whole time.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I really liked how Bethany was mad at Lois and didn’t give her a break because of how Clark and Lois’ journalist careers have benefitted over the years from Clark being Superman. I thought that was neat and I hope Bendis will continue to explore that.

Supes and Mongul’s fight was great, but I’m still not clear on why Mongul is angered at the idea of the United Planets. Is it because he doesn’t want the masses banding together because then they might take him down? Is the idea of a big intergalactic organization something he just finds blasphemous? Not clear. I do like his characterization. Bendis is usually pretty terrible at cosmic characters, his Thanos was incredibly bad and I really hope he never tries to write Darkseid because I can’t see that ending well, but it works here. Mongul doesn’t get to be the big galactic tyrant that’s extremely cunning because Darkseid has taken that spot back. So Mongul being essentially a hedonistic power hungry manchild with the brute strength to back it up? Yeah that works for me, it’s a niche in the Rogue Gallery that Superman doesn’t have filled I don’t think.

It was nice that Supes called the Justice League to come help clean up afterwards, I liked seeing them. Was the FBI agent an OC or someone who existed before? I don’t recall ever seeing her before.

Pre-existing, Cameron Chase was a member of the DEO before it got destroyed in Event Leviathan. I think she actually had her own series for a while to. In fact she was also a part of the Supergirl rebirth run.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This was great. Bendis is really delivering on the promise of doing new kinds of Superman stories thanks to the secret identity reveal, and, thus far, it has been a great ride. It still feels 100% like a Superman comic, but the status quo has been altered in very interesting ways that don't give easy outs to anyone.

And, man, Ivan Reis keeps topping himself again and again. His stuff had lost a bit of enthusiasm for a while as DC bounced him around from title to title following his Green Lantern run, but he has been on a role since coming back to Superman.

Amazing Member

Not so good. The battle between Superman and Mongul feels like something obligatory thrown in rather than genuinely mattering to the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Supes and Mongul’s fight was great, but I’m still not clear on why Mongul is angered at the idea of the United Planets. Is it because he doesn’t want the masses banding together because then they might take him down? Is the idea of a big intergalactic organization something he just finds blasphemous?
    They talk about it some in the Villains one-shot. The Warworld morality is "might is right" where only the strongest can rule. So the United Planets, that gives a voice to the weak and oppressed? It's, yeah, it's basically blasphemy as far as Mongul goes. Why would you want the weak to have power? If they were strong, or clever, or capable, they'd already have power, so you're just giving authority to people who are unequipped to use it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This was great. Bendis is really delivering on the promise of doing new kinds of Superman stories thanks to the secret identity reveal, and, thus far, it has been a great ride. It still feels 100% like a Superman comic, but the status quo has been altered in very interesting ways that don't give easy outs to anyone.

And, man, Ivan Reis keeps topping himself again and again. His stuff had lost a bit of enthusiasm for a while as DC bounced him around from title to title following his Green Lantern run, but he has been on a role since coming back to Superman.
    Right? It's like we're living in Bizarro World, where all the bad ideas are suddenly good.

And this *has* been good. As much as I hated the idea of Clark's identity going public, Bendis has really crafted a strong, tight story. Clark's motivations make sense, his character hasn't been compromised or twisted, the plots growing out of this are looking fresh and promising, and more than anything this isn't being treated like a stupid gimmick everyone knows will be erased in six months. This feels far more solid and lasting than, say, Truth; more like a natural progression and less like a stunt.

I dunno how long it'll be before DC screws it all up or reboots it....but so far I'm quite content to let Bendis run where he wants to. For the most part he hasn't let me down yet. Though Action definitely isn't what it was in the first year. That book needs to pull itself together and drop Romita. He's not the artist for that title.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I don't think Action is bad...Romita's not great on it but its not bad. I think its problem is that until 1023 or so it hasn't been telling its own story for a while. What I mean is that at first it was really good but then it got mixed up with the Leviathan event, which had good build up but meandered when it was in the middle of it and currently its in the middle of one big battle arc that is stemming out of the identity reveal issue in Superman. So it's not had its own organic solo story in about a year or so.

However, I don't hate the big fight in Action Comics right now though I will admit its just an action movie at this point. Not to mention I at least like that Bendis has Conner returning to the Superman titles.
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

I love that Conner's back and would love for him to stick around for quite a bit but I hate that Year of the villain/Leviathan stuff. I need it to end already and just focus on its own stories again. And please get JRJR off the book!

Love seeing Mongul used again as a real threat. He’s a perfect foil for the United Planets.

This was good. The biggest fear of revealing your secret identity is that the government bureaucracy can now find you!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    They talk about it some in the Villains one-shot. The Warworld morality is "might is right" where only the strongest can rule. So the United Planets, that gives a voice to the weak and oppressed? It's, yeah, it's basically blasphemy as far as Mongul goes. Why would you want the weak to have power? If they were strong, or clever, or capable, they'd already have power, so you're just giving authority to people who are unequipped to use it.
    Apparently the dig Niezsche’s school of thought in that planet. I agree with Vorfan, I do hope Bendis continues to explore what the revelation means for the journalist career of Lois.

By the way, I just realized I like women in suit and tie.