Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    A major change in what regard? To the lineup?
    Yeah, the line up, storytelling, characterization, etcetera. People still have a issue with Bendis for changing Wanda; but I thought it was good story telling (that's coming from someone who doesn't have an attachment to Wanda).

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Bendis' Avengers run was good up until the start of the Heroic Age. He should have exited after Siege.
    Yeah it really dipped in quality (except for the beautiful art); I feel that he was threading water.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Yeah, the line up, storytelling, characterization, etcetera. People still have a issue with Bendis for changing Wanda; but I thought it was good story telling (that's coming from someone who doesn't have an attachment to Wanda).
    Well, if that's what you're looking for, then I'd say there are plenty of runs on the JLA that fit the bill. The Giffen/DeMatteis run from the 80s is considered a gold standard in terms of superhero storytelling and featured a much different lineup from the traditional members:

And Brad Meltzer's run from the mid-aughts is likely to be one of the closest matches you'll find in terms of tone and also featured a big shakeup to the roster:

Yeah it really dipped in quality (except for the beautiful art); I feel that he was threading water.
    Yeah, I really felt the same thing. It was one of my favorite runs up until a certain point and then after that I couldn't even get through some issues.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-17-2020 at 12:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

It was a reinvigorating experiment for the Avengers, but he had major hurdles and sometimes he just doesn't click with characters. Like Scarlet Witch. It got better when he had more experience writing ensembles.

Bendis has a tendency to stick around longer than he should.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    It was a reinvigorating experiment for the Avengers, but he had major hurdles and sometimes he just doesn't click with characters. Like Scarlet Witch. It got better when he had more experience writing ensembles.

Bendis has a tendency to stick around longer than he should.

I feel like Snyder tried doing what Bendis did, but it didn't really stick. I really enjoyed the first couple of arcs in Snyder's JL but it got mired in the whole Doom vs Justice thing and he didn't really do anything with it

Extraordinary Member

It was an approachable run that didn't have the baggage of 50 years of continuity, I mean it is in the title New Avengers it introduced new characters to the line up as well as mega epic events.
    The runs with the Epic events are usually the ones that have a pretty big 6 heavy line up, the JLA by Morrison and Waid (and at least one other writer iirc), the new 52 run by Geoff Johns and the Scott Snyders Run.

The runs with smaller characters (which are usually not really new), like Justice League Detroid, the JLI era or the runs started by Melzer, had usually less epic stories and more character driven stuff.

I feel like Snyder tried doing what Bendis did, but it didn't really stick. I really enjoyed the first couple of arcs in Snyder's JL but it got mired in the whole Doom vs Justice thing and he didn't really do anything with it
    I feel like Snyder was trying really hard to merge Morrison's JLA with McDuffie's JLU cartoon. His concepts were as crazy and wild as what you'd expect from Morrison, but Snyder doesn't seem to have that subtle intelligence that makes a high-concept idea go from "really big and interesting" to "thought provoking." And he tried to blend some quality character arcs and dynamics like JLU did so well, with things like the J'onn-Kendra relationship and even Jarro, but Snyder didn't have the page space to really let those moments simmer and resonate like McDuffie did.

I can see the Bendis parallels, but only because I think Bendis was playing in the same kind of sandbox as Morrison; a truly iconic version of the team facing some truly iconic threats. Bendis did well (at least at first) but I don't think he's as skilled at that as Morrison (who is?) and the Avengers, even with Parker and Logan, just didn't have that iconic status the League did.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

So, let’s say DC tabbed you to do a “Bendis” to reinvigorate JLA. The rules are that you have to keep 2-3 of the big 5 (Supes, Bats, WW, Flash, GL) and then, two Characters that are well known but not regularly JLers and then a few hodgepodge characters.

Mine:
    Superman
    Wonder Woman

Then
    Nightwing
    Robot man

Hodgepodge
    Guy Gardner
    Female Dr Light
    Dr Fate

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Bendis' Avengers run was good up until the start of the Heroic Age. He should have exited after Siege.
    I thought it started to crack during Secret Invasion. And then shortly after that he had a five-issue run focusing on The Hood or something.....it was just kind of cringy.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    So, let’s say DC tabbed you to do a “Bendis” to reinvigorate JLA. The rules are that you have to keep 2-3 of the big 5 (Supes, Bats, WW, Flash, GL) and then, two Characters that are well known but not regularly JLers and then a few hodgepodge characters.

Flash
    Wonder Woman
    Martian Manhunter

Supergirl
    The Question (Vic Sage)

Black Lightning
    Phantom Stranger
    Vixen
    Black Canary

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

The Morrison run went "Why is the justice league full of C listers" and made a more classic team that we've seen before and works well but also had great stories.

Bendis went "Why are the Avengers not full of Marvels best selling characters" not thinking about why their never together and then followed up with mediocre writing that sold well because it was different and had popular characters involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

This is pretty amazing!

Deathstroke could also be a dick version of Captain America and Black Adam could be the Sentry (specifically the Tomasi version)

Oh, and also Zod could make a great alternative Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I feel like Snyder was trying really hard to merge Morrison's JLA with McDuffie's JLU cartoon. His concepts were as crazy and wild as what you'd expect from Morrison, but Snyder doesn't seem to have that subtle intelligence that makes a high-concept idea go from "really big and interesting" to "thought provoking." And he tried to blend some quality character arcs and dynamics like JLU did so well, with things like the J'onn-Kendra relationship and even Jarro, but Snyder didn't have the page space to really let those moments simmer and resonate like McDuffie did.

I can see the Bendis parallels, but only because I think Bendis was playing in the same kind of sandbox as Morrison; a truly iconic version of the team facing some truly iconic threats. Bendis did well (at least at first) but I don't think he's as skilled at that as Morrison (who is?) and the Avengers, even with Parker and Logan, just didn't have that iconic status the League did.
    Great analysis, Snyder to me is similar to silver age writers; he loves to overly explain everything.

This is pretty amazing!

Deathstroke could also be a dick version of Captain America and Black Adam could be the Sentry (specifically the Tomasi version)

Oh, and also Zod could make a great alternative Superman
    You’re a mind reader; I toyed w. both Black Adam and Zod as Sentry!

I settled on Bats as Cap, despite how many Bat-fam members I’d wind up with, because Bats and Cap have that leadership prestige Bendis’ team needed/my team would need.

GL as Iron Man’s not perfect, but I wanted another normal guy underneath the mask, not an alien/Amazon/Atlantean...

I went w. Nightwing as Spidey for recognizability and the fact that it let me use Batwoman.

Black Lightning as Cage seemed right, as both started as 70s neighborhood protectors and been fan favorites since, if not critical successes.

Slade as Wolvie fit for me in terms of them both being around (in canon) forever, knowing/having fought everyone, having hardcore reps, and business wise they guest star in multiple books a year on the regular to boost sales.

Settled on edgy hood up Captain Marvel as (the Superman level character) Sentry to add a splash of color tbh, as my team mostly have dark outfits!

Glad you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    You’re a mind reader; I toyed w. both Black Adam and Zod as Sentry!

I settled on Bats as Cap, despite how many Bat-fam members I’d wind up with, because Bats and Cap have that leadership prestige Bendis’ team needed/my team would need.

GL as Iron Man’s not perfect, but I wanted another normal guy underneath the mask, not an alien/Amazon/Atlantean...

I went w. Nightwing as Spidey for recognizability and the fact that it let me use Batwoman.

Black Lightning as Cage seemed right, as both started as 70s neighborhood protectors and been fan favorites since, if not critical successes.

Slade as Wolvie fit for me in terms of them both being around (in canon) forever, knowing/having fought everyone, having hardcore reps, and business wise they guest star in multiple books a year on the regular to boost sales.

Settled on edgy hood up Captain Marvel as (the Superman level character) Sentry to add a splash of color tbh, as my team mostly have dark outfits!

Glad you liked it.
    Problem is its nearly half bat or bat adjacent characters. Either keep bruce or lose nightwing.