BANNED

Default About The Styles Of The DC Animated Universe Cartoons

I don't know if this is the right area to discuss this.

I decided to make a thread about the style of the DC Animated Universe cartoons.

I have seen the DCAU cartoons several times and here is what I noticed and tell me if I am right on this.

This is what I saw for myself and heard from the producers of each DCAU shows and other people.

In Batman: The Animated Series, the show came out and takes place in the 1990's, but it has an art deco feel and looks like the 1940's from the cars, buildings and fashion for Gotham City. The music is inspired by 1940's noir music.

Then on The New Batman Adventures, which Also came out and takes place in the 1990's, I read that Gotham City looks more modern, but I noticed that the buildings still look old, the fashions still look old and the cars still look old. Although it probably looks more 1950's or 1960's looking than 1940's like on Batman The Animated Series.

Now Superman: The Animated Series also came out and takes place in the 1990's but it has an ocean liner art deco feel and looks retro futuristic for Metropolis. It was a pseudo future past look. The buildings and cars look both old and futuristic looking while the fashion looks old like 1950's or 1960's, (except Jimmy Olsen, who has the 1990's look), while Smallville looks regular looking. The music is inspired by 1950's science fiction music.

But then in the Justice League cartoon, they changed Metropolis to have a more modern and realistic look until Justice League Unlimited, where they changed it back to the retro futuristic look.

Now Batman Beyond came out in 1999 and takes place from 2039- the 2040's in the future. Gotham City in this show has a cyberpunk futuristic feel to it from the buildings, cars and fashion. The music is future rock metal style.

Now every other city in the cartoons look regular looking.

Now this is what I saw and heard from the producers and other people. Tell me if I am right on this.
    Last edited by Raider969; 03-21-2020 at 10:37 PM.