Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Historically, has the JSA or JLA had more powerful members?

Looking through the historical rosters of the JSA and JLA, which of the two teams has had the overall more powerful roster? Let's take the Spectre out of consideration because after all, with him, the JSA takes it hands down.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Mighty Member

Right, good post, but do you mean historically as in the JSA, 1940's golden age heroes, versus 1960 JLA silver age, or just their most consistent classic members?

The golden age Wonder Woman (the Earth 2 version) was wiped out of existence after crisis...if I recall correct? She nor the Black Canary 2, haven't been around much, would we include them?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Right, good post, but do you mean historically as in the JSA, 1940's golden age heroes, versus 1960 JLA silver age, or just their most consistent classic members?

The golden age Wonder Woman (the Earth 2 version) was wiped out of existence after crisis...if I recall correct? She nor the Black Canary 2, haven't been around much, would we include them?
    I think comprehensively considering both teams throughout their histories, in all continuities, excluding only the Spectre from consideration.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

What complicates matters here is that quite a few of them were at both teams in different periods.

Dr. Fate is a powerhouse, but was both a JSAer and a JLAer. Same goes for Cap Marvel.

Also, are we considering pre-Crisis JSA here? If we are, they may take the cake, since I don't think any other team ever had 2 full-blooded pre-Crisis Kryptonians.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I think comprehensively considering both teams throughout their histories, in all continuities, excluding only the Spectre from consideration.

Okay I'm am going to give it a go, but I find it a bit difficult as the JSA has been a bit more transient since Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I will take the classic JLA line from the 60's to mid 80's (excluding Phantom Stranger, Enlongated Man and Metamorpho, who I do not believe they have ever had long stints as JLA members) Thus the list of the solid 15.

Superman
    Batman
    Wonder Woman
    The Flash (Barry Allen)
    Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
    Aquaman
    Martian Manhunter
    Green Arrow (Oliver Queen)
    Atom
    Hawkman
    Black Canary
    Firestorm
    Red Tornado
    Hawkgirl
    Zatanna

To make things fair I am going to add 15 historic JSA members. I will include both the earth 2 Wonder Woman and Power Girl, because apparently they were both mainstays of the 70's All Star Comics series, perhaps someone older and wiser than myself can confirm that. I will delete Black Canary 2 though, for the sake of keeping it to 15, and because she doesn't really exist in the present timeline (man I am such a geek to know all this) I will also not include Black Atom, or Captain Marvel, as historically they haven't been mainstay members, and the former of course went rotten on the team. So here they are...

Dr Fate
    Mister Terrific (Michael Holt)
    Jahkeem/Johnny Thunder
    Flash Jay Garrett
    Green Lantern Alan Scott
    Starman
    Hourman
    Wildcat
    Atom
    Hawkman
    Doctor Midnight
    Sandman
    Star Spangled Kid
    Power Girl
    Wonder Woman (Earth 2)

Right now I must sit and contemplate....
    Last edited by The no face guy; 03-16-2020 at 11:12 PM.

Mighty Member

In a battle between Superman and Power Girl, Superman wins. He is the most physically powerful hero on the two teams but...

Dr Fate clearly beats Zatanna; the problem with Dr. Fate is he can take out half the JLA including Superman probably in one go.

Barry Allen has been noted to be faster than Jay

I'm not sure if they ever resolved Alan Scott's ring being nullified by wood, but I think Hal's sheer willpower & determination takes the cake.

Wonder Woman vs Wonder Woman, I suppose you go with the younger stronger version

As for the rest, Batman will clearly mop the floor with any of JSA's non super powered heroes, but yet there is another wild card in the deck. Jakheem Thunder is really powerful, but you take out Jakheem and you can nullify the genie. (Kind of like covering Billy Batson's mouth)

I don't know, I think overall the JLA is stronger, but the JSA has Dr Fate, and the genie.

Extraordinary Member

Dr Fate clearly beats Zatanna; the problem with Dr. Fate is he can take out half the JLA including Superman probably in one go.
    There was iirc also a time where Fate didn't had his full power and was not using the real Helmet of Fate.

Btw. the Cosmic Rod/Belt is iirc comparable in Power to Green Lantern Ring that gives the JSA wit Starman (and depending on the Version Star Spangled Kid) and additional Powerhouse.

As for the rest, Batman will clearly mop the floor with any of JSA's non super powered heroes, but yet there is another wild card in the deck. Jakheem Thunder is really powerful, but you take out Jakheem and you can nullify the genie. (Kind of like covering Billy Batson's mouth)
    Are you reading Teen Titans? The genie got nullified last issue without Jakeem being put out of commission (he had to flee with the team). The reason was a case of fighting fire with fire - they were fighting two other genies (one of whom was being controlled and is actually one of the Titans).
    Flash Jay Garrett
    Jay Garrick.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Retired

If you take Spectre off the table, then I can't make my comparison between the Earth-Two and Earth-One heroes. See, I would have said that Spectre is to the "Golden Age" what Martian Manhunter is to the "Silver Age." They are both over-powered, but Spec is a supernatural based hero vs J'Onn who's a sci-fi based hero. In the '30s and '40s, a lot of heroes got their powers from magic of some sort, while in the '50s and '60s, some kind of science was the explanation for powers. Jim Corrigan is a police detective. John Jones is a police detective. Also, MM and Spectre both wear similar costumes, have bare chests and bare legs, so it's an elegant comparison. But I can't do that because the Ghostly Guardian has been excluded from the question. Oh well.

Incredible Member

historically , even if you exclude the spectre , the jsa still have dr fate and thunerbolt which should negates the martian manhunter , the unique member in the jla , the rest have duplicates.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

In a battle between Superman and Power Girl, Superman wins. He is the most physically powerful hero on the two teams but...
    It's been argued that J'onn J'onzz is stronger than Superman and therefore, could subdue Power Girl.

As for the rest, Batman will clearly mop the floor with any of JSA's non super powered heroes.
    Not so fast, if memory serves, Bats historically had trouble matching up with Wildcat in hand to hand combat.

Jakheem Thunder is really powerful, but you take out Jakheem and you can nullify the genie. (Kind of like covering Billy Batson's mouth)
    I think Firestorm could take out Jakeem and the genie, especially with Professor Stein giving advice.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

JSA takes it!
    More experience and some very underrated members. Why do you think Didio and company has fought so hard to take them off the shelves? They are way better than the Justice League
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    It's been argued that J'onn J'onzz is stronger than Superman and therefore, could subdue Power Girl.

Not so fast, if memory serves, Bats historically had trouble matching up with Wildcat in hand to hand combat.

I think Firestorm could take out Jakeem and the genie, especially with Professor Stein giving advice.
    I think another thing to consider when fighting Batman is that the JSA(if we’re counting the 70’s with Powergirl and Star-Spangled Kid) also has the earth 2 equivalent of Dick Grayson as well as his daughter Helena Wayne/the Huntress. Although their not on the list of 15
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

During the Bronze Age, they were considered to be of equal strength. Neither one was considered superior than the other. It was only post-COIE that the JSA became secondary in relation to the JL.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Mighty Member

For those that quoted me, I was just speculating for fun guys, not making any affirmative statements. Fun and positivity!!! Feel free to make your own lists, I was just trying to get the ball rolling.