Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default How many versions of each DC's top heroes do you want to see active?

And list the different versions.

Me:

Superman, Aquaman, J'onn J'onzz, and Batman - 1 version
    Wonder Woman - 2 versions - Diana and Hippolyta
    Green Lantern - 6 versions - Hal Jordan, Alan Scott, John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, Kilowog, and Guy Gardner
    Flash - 3 versions - Wally West, Jay Garrick, and Bart Allen
    Hawkman - 2 versions - Katar Hol and Carter Hall
    Hawkgirl - 2 versions - Shiera Hol and Shayera Hall
    Atom (Ray), Elongated Man, Zatanna, and Red Tornado - 1 version
    Shazam - 1 version
    Nightwing - 1 version
    Robin - 2 versions - Tim Drake and Jason Todd
    Wonder Girl - 2 versions - Donna Troy and Cassie
    Superboy - 1 version - Kon-El/Conner
    Green Arrow and Black Canary - 1 version
    Speedy/Arsenal - 2 versions - Roy Harper and Conner Hawke
    Hourman - 2 versions - Android and Rick Tyler
    Atom Smasher, Starman (Jack Knight), Dr. Mid-Nite (Pieter), and Mr. Terrific - 1 version
    Dr. Fate - Any, I don't care - 1 version
    Legion of Super Heroes - Levitz/Giffen era lineup - 1 version

Extraordinary Member

Kind of surprised that no one has a comment or an opinion on this. Oh well.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Are we talking about people wearing the same superhero name at the same time? Unless they're a Corps or Incorporated, one. I like to keep things simple. The other characters, whoever it is, can get a different name, like Red Robin, Scarlet Speedster, Superkid, Troia, Elder Hawk, Hourglass, or whatever

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Are we talking about people wearing the same superhero name at the same time?
    Yes and no.

With Robin, I'd like Tim Drake to be the current Robin but don't have a problem with Jason having been Robin but now moved on to another name.

But with Hawkman, I have no issue with both Katar and Carter being Hawkman at the same time, with one being in JLA and the other being in JSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Are we talking about people wearing the same superhero name at the same time? Unless they're a Corps or Incorporated, one. I like to keep things simple. The other characters, whoever it is, can get a different name, like Red Robin, Scarlet Speedster, Superkid, Troia, Elder Hawk, Hourglass, or whatever
    I agree. Only exception for me would be two Flashes - Barry and Wally. Bart is Impulse to me, and I don't want him to lose that name that is him to take a hand-me-down name. Kon should be grown and have a new code name now (Jon should be younger, but I guess that ship has sailed).

Like Conner Hawke, but like Kon, I have no idea what his code name should be.

Most of the others with multiple people holding the title, I either favor only one or am not familiar enough with the characters to care.

But, unlike many, I'm not a big fan of legacy-naming.

Generally, just one. There's no need for two guys running around calling themselves Batman, yknow?

There's some exceptions; Lanterns obviously being a big one (though I think we have too many Greens and would like to see some join other Corps). Barry, Jay and Wally can all use the Flash name as far as I'm concerned, and maybe there's a few other shareable names I'm not thinking of right now. But typically I think it's better for the characters and the brands to not share names.

Now, I have no problem with adjunct names like Kid Flash or Supergirl, that's enough to keep the brand semi-distinct without losing obvious ties to the parent franchise. That sorta thing is fine. And I have no problem with the basic idea of legacies/replacements, like how we've had different Robins and Hourmen and Starmen. As long as only one person is using the mantle at a time that sort of thing doesn't bother me and I think it's a big part of DC; passing the torch and all that.

Now, if you mean different versions of the same character, like synergy, then the more the merrier I say. I want a kid friendly cartoon for Aquaman, adult-oriented Aquaman comics where he can deal with complex, mature issues like climate change and the machinations of other royal families (underwater Game of Thrones with a better final season? Sign me up!), all-ages content where Aquaman can just be fun and entertaining for everyone. I want every flavor you can think of, even if they only resemble each other in the broad strokes, because those will all appeal to different people but they'll all end up being Aquaman fans.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I wanna see all my favorites, and I want them looking good as well.

I also wanna see all of other people's favorites, and I want them to look good, because I try not to be a dick and take pleasure in others' unhappiness. (I don't always succeed, but I do try).
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I wanna see all my favorites, and I want them looking good as well.

I also wanna see all of other people's favorites, and I want them to look good, because I try not to be a dick and take pleasure in others' unhappiness. (I don't always succeed, but I do try).

Agreed completely. Personally, I have favored characters, but I believe there is room for more than my favorites. Sure, have a Barry Allen comic, but in my opinion, Wally is the fastest man alive and much more interesting. I believe Hal is a better solo lantern, but think John does best on JLA. Etc.

3 Flashes, we can try to give Wally a new name but we all know it won't sound right and will never catch on.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

Typically just one. If there would be another one, I would prefer them to be on a different Earth, like Jay Garrick on Earth 2.

I'm not all that into the whole legacy thing and the glut of confusing characters running around. I understand that you can accumulate a lot of stuff over 80 years of storytelling, especially when the properties change creative hands so often, and frequently to people who have completely opposing creative visions between each other, but I don't think keeping all the redundant characters around at once is a good idea, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intent when the legacies took over their respective mantles. They were usually made to full on replace the previous mantle holder, not to co-exist with them using the same superhero name.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 03-18-2020 at 01:32 PM.

1 version of each.
    Not a fan of characters sharing the same name.

Restricting my self to just JL members

Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter - 1
    Batman - 2 (Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson)
    Flash - 3 (Jay Garrick, Barry Allen, and Wally West)
    Green Lantern - I mean there's an entire corp of them but I'm fine with the all versions introduced so far

mostly just 1.

I'm not really a legacy/family guy as I tend to prefer variety in my heroes. Multiple speedsters, Kryptonians, lanterns don't really do much for me.

I don't mind keeping the legacy characters but I'd just give them new ids/powersets etc. Next reboot .
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-19-2020 at 01:12 PM.

If there is a good reason for it I dont have a problem with multiples

Example
    BATMAN Bruce Wayne
    BATMAN Thomas Wayne (flashpoint, earth 2 continuity... etc)

If its clever then why not.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Kind of surprised that no one has a comment or an opinion on this.
    The fun is ruined a bit for me if characters don’t have their own identity.