Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    ...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    To be honest, the New 52 was not kind to either character so while I like flipping the script on Karen, I think it's best for both Mr. Terrific and Power Girl if that time was retconned out.

Still, they're old colleagues and I like when they work together.
    Huh, I think the opposite. I'd like them in a real relationship. Despite the new 52 showing it is the interconnectedness of character relationships that best illustrate character growth.

Oddly enough I remember reading the reactions to that pairing when I first bought that book, and it was of the few times that I looked and was like "Damn there is real racism at play here and with these resposne". While I almost NEVER blame racism for character choices, it was just too outrageous and overt. I was surprised because I didn't think the fanbase would care about an advancing narrative.
    It cemented that they belong together.

Narratively however, where I normally choose to look for answers and it a perfect pairing, its the worlds finest thing.
    Supes/Bats
    Apollo/Midnigter

Powergirl/Mr.Terrific

Sit back and let that sink in for a sec... its actually a beautiful pairing and... it makes me wonder a few things and I'd personally write that story because its worth telling buuuuuut....

1. Who would the 3rd member of that trinity would be, obviously someone magic.
    2. A are there any other half kryptonions visiting from the future, like their kids would be in an arc. Kinda like Franklin Richards

That being said... she can be in the book and NOT be a mainstay, because she should be off having her own adventures. but its a great card to play "occasionally" Also I remember worlds finest huntress/powergirl it was like "man of her dreams" or "a new nightmare" and some reaper looking guy was masquerading as MR.T, but... All in all the terrifics....

A better solution is for them to have LOTS of guest stars as they deal and delve into different areas of science. Time/Space/Reality/Magic etc.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 03-29-2020 at 11:06 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Well, to each their own, but I'm forever soured on their relationship. Execution sucked. Karen was some generic blond without any of PG's trappings, but named Karen Starr so Michael Holt could totally be nailing Power Girl because SWEEEEET. Ugh. Stupid. They turned her into a trophy and it was appalling. Frankly, I want to see Michael sort out his feelings for his dead wife before moving on to someone else. More than anyone, Michael doesn't need some lady to save him. He needs to save himself.

I love both characters but DC screwed that relationship up so bad I never want to see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Well, to each their own, but I'm forever soured on their relationship. Execution sucked. Karen was some generic blond without any of PG's trappings, but named Karen Starr so Michael Holt could totally be nailing Power Girl because SWEEEEET. Ugh. Stupid. They turned her into a trophy and it was appalling. Frankly, I want to see Michael sort out his feelings for his dead wife before moving on to someone else. More than anyone, Michael doesn't need some lady to save him. He needs to save himself.

I love both characters but DC screwed that relationship up so bad I never want to see it again.
    It was a bad look, but its a fantastic coupling.

I think a big part of his situation is that he DOES need to be over his dead wife... and to be completely honest
    while we get glimpses of it from time to time its as if no one grasps that he lost his dead wife before he talked to the spectre, and before he became Mr. Terrific.
    It old news when you consider ever adventure we've ever seen him on has been post death.
    Meanwhile, they have had many adventures together and they can move around each other with ease.
    The thing I couldn't stand about it was the "how dare they besmirch our pure white princess" vibe that was coming out as a response to the scene in that book.

I didn't go on long enough to really grasp the depth or complexities of the relationship. It was new and the book had a lot of OTHER problems so we never got to see the totality of it, but
    the terrifics would be a damned good change to get it right.
    Writing makes a world of difference.

That being said I'd love to see it be Instead of ADDING someone to the terrifics permanently different people for different arcs
    Barda(4th Worlder), Powergirl (the distant love), Dr Fate (Magic arc) Dukethomas, Element girl, Red tornado, Blue Beetle... instead of adding one person for good expand the family of heroes that they deal with regularly and semi-regularly.

Not like "Dc comics presents" or anything but just so that they interact with the larger world and it isn't just the justice league showing up. Lot of space for people to show up and for Mr.Holt to put his
    learning powers to work.

I'd also like to propose a long term villain for them...
    Harry Tanner, The Eminence of Blades/Prince of Lies. I didn't think about it till I realized that Mr.Terrific actually has "some kind of learning power" and The Eminence has "some kind of lying power".

Just cool synergies since these characters are broad enough in range to include many many guests.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 03-30-2020 at 06:22 AM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    It was a bad look, but its a fantastic coupling.

I think a big part of his situation is that he DOES need to be over his dead wife... and to be completely honest
    while we get glimpses of it from time to time its as if no one grasps that he lost his dead wife before he talked to the spectre, and before he became Mr. Terrific.
    It old news when you consider ever adventure we've ever seen him on has been post death.
    Meanwhile, they have had many adventures together and they can move around each other with ease.
    The thing I couldn't stand about it was the "how dare they besmirch our pure white princess" vibe that was coming out as a response to the scene in that book.

I didn't go on long enough to really grasp the depth or complexities of the relationship. It was new and the book had a lot of OTHER problems so we never got to see the totality of it, but
    the terrifics would be a damned good change to get it right.

That being said I'd love to see it be Instead of ADDING someone to the terrifics permanently different people for different arcs
    Barda(4th Worlder), Powergirl (the distant love), Dr Fate (Magic arc) Dukethomas, Element girl, Red tornado, Blue Beetle... instead of adding one person for good expand the family of heroes that they deal with regularly and semi-regularly.

Not like "Dc comics presents" or anything but just so that they interact with the larger world and it isn't just the justice league showing up. Lot of space for people to show up and for Mr.Holt to put his
    learning powers to work.

I'd also like to propose a long term villain for them...
    Harry Tanner, The Eminence of Blades/Prince of Lies. I didn't think about it till I realized that Mr.Terrific actually has "some kind of learning power" and The Eminence has "some kind of lying power".

Just cool synergies since these characters are broad enough in range to include many many guests.
    What does PG get out of such a relationship? In the Mr. Terrific comic, she was his trophy, and she was using him as well, to steal something that HE inexplicably could build but SHE couldn't. She was portrayed mostly as the blond excuse the word, bimbo her critics seem to think she always was, but never was portrayed as before. Nu52 Power Girl is a version of the character that like nu52 Stripperfire was completely degraded, (check PG out later in the WF comic....she was almost worse there than she was in Terrific), in a way that never would have passed muster in the Me Too era. That version of PG would never pass muster today. However, the pre Flashpoint one would, quite nicely. And SHE was never interested in Mr. Terrific, and THAT Mr. Terrific was never interested in her. Not in that way. To be honest, PG prior to the nu52 version never seemed to NEED a relationship, at least not an on panel one. And HE was moving on to Sasha. Who worked quite well with him in addition to having plenty of potential as a character in her own right.

Naw, PG doesn't need to be Mr. Terrific's GF, and probably shouldn't be on The Terrifics. That team doesn't need a Kryptonian.

Ahh... here we go.
    What does PG get out of such a relationship?
    Right now? She'd gain from being in no book at all to being in a book at all anywhere.

Moreover.

To be honest, PG prior to the nu52 version never seemed to NEED a relationship
    Characters GAIN from having love interests and no matter how hurt you guys were of how it played out in the OTHER universe that got left behind. They gain from it. It is development, its usage.

Too many people want to keep her "Pure" and thats a big part of the problem here. Some of you'd rather her NOT be used except as a footnote (Checked last appearance was a single panel shot in green lantern #40 talking
    to blue beetle) or when you deem it appropriate. I mean I know how strong "Not MUH Waifu" is on 4chan and such places but we really should be better here. You think she should be a nun? Only with X hero or Y hero that you approve of and its silly.

So, seriously stop being salty about a Nu52 book that no one even bought and as you pointed out those books were hard for Starfire too.
    That isn't this. If you're mad about it. You might consider that.
    However, the pre Flashpoint one would, quite nicely. And SHE was never interested in Mr. Terrific, and THAT Mr. Terrific was never interested in her.
    Yeah... and Iceman was never gay, Jane Foster was never able to lift Mjolnir before, and Peter not Miles. Not my Robin and all that jazz. I dig it.
    Things change, and a lot times its for the better.

Its a simple thing to be done correctly.

My thing is all about narratives. Its a great narrative.
    She's from another Universe, and these people actively got to other universes, and they (as you so succinctly put) have adventured together for years... Hell Mr.Terrific is the guy to get you anywhere really.
    But... hold up.
    That team doesn't need a Kryptonian.
    This is hilarious, how triggered at the thought of them together do you get when you ignore me saying implicitly
    No. It doesn't need a kryptonian permanently for that matter it doesn't NEED a 5th member, but is sure as hell makes the universe feel more connected and alive when you things like this happen.

Naw, PG doesn't need to be Mr. Terrific's GF
    Actually yeah.

Relationships are best when people don't NEED each other but WANT each other.

PowerGirl and Mr. Terrifc make a terrific power couple. Even though here responsibilities are else where heroing in her other books.

But. While them being good great together is a thing. I'm not gonna keep arguing a moot point.

I will reiterate what I said though.

The team doesn't NEED a new member and I'd add more like a cast of people who visit and interact with them on different story arcs and adventures they way the fantastic 4 often did.

Barda for the arc with the Team making it to the 4th world realms where the gods "true selves" are... (or at least Darkseid, last I checked) is a really cool idea.

Just having a sit down with Dr.Fate over Dinner.

Blue Beetle and Phantom girl when "The Reach" have dealings with Bgztl. and so on and so forth.

The coolest thing would be to make this team alive and connceted to all these people who they know and have dealings with for each individual adventure or story arch

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    I like the team as it exists now. I thought it was great that they began when the FF wasn't being published!
    It is one of those things where I don't have any reason to want to see anything changed at all... or I just don't have any favorites that I want brought in, but I like the cast as is.

What I do want to see added is a bit more, for lack of a better word, chemistry between the team. With the initial reason to be together long past, the reason for the reunion is fine, but the book needs to explore more of what the characters mean to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    It is one of those things where I don't have any reason to want to see anything changed at all... or I just don't have any favorites that I want brought in, but I like the cast as is.

What I do want to see added is a bit more, for lack of a better word, chemistry between the team. With the initial reason to be together long past, the reason for the reunion is fine, but the book needs to explore more of what the characters mean to each other.
    Hmph. In the end I agree. I like the erstatz team they make but I felt they needed a bit more than Homestuck together at times.

I also are not to friendly to the idea of PG on the Terrifics, specially on a relationship with Michael. I like how the differents relationships are made done in the book, with each character with their one family problems and background. Maybe Tynia needs to receive a visit from her planet or a more stable resident. Not opposed to see representatives of the trinity as guests stars. But I would prefer if Mike started a relationship with a non superhero person. That kind of relationship is to much absent in superhero comics.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I kind of miss the expanded members of the team who have already left, namely Mrs. Terrific and the Metamorpho Dog whose name I do not remember.

Vibe in place of Plastic Man.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I love Plastic Man, but I am not so sure I would hate that kind of move. Vibe would be pretty cool in this comic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Can't we have Vibe and Plastic Man in the same roster?

BANNED

Michael and Karen sort of remind me of Scott and Barda. I echo the sentiment that PG is too powerful for this team dynamic though. Could be a good coupling in another context.

BANNED

You can make a whole lot of things work as long as they're written convincingly and in a fashion that will endear fans to them. Power Girl and Mr. Terrific was never going to get over with fans the way it was presented in what I saw of the New 52 Mr. Terrific series. For one, fans did not see the journey the two characters had to get them where they were. Power Girl was just there in Mr. Terrific's penthouse or wherever he stays. Furthermore, from what I recall (I did not read the entire series), the two had a "friends with benefits" sort of arrangement, and while there is nothing wrong with that, I can see how some would think it doesn't portray the characters in the best light, and reinforces certain perceptions of Power Girl that some fans may not like. Lastly, the creative team took Power Girl, a character with her own established history and fanbase (both larger than Mr. Terrific's), and made her a support character booty call in Mr. Terrific's comic book. That might be awesome for people who relate with Mr. Terrific, but it isn't doing anything great for Power Girl or her fans.

I don't think the fan reaction has to do with racism, I just don't think the relationship was ever going to work with many fans when you look at it from these perspectives. Sure, it would probably never work, period, with some people, but had it been written and handled better, I think the writer could have gotten a lot more fans on his side with it. It would most likely take some patience from the writer, though, and he didn't seem to have any when considering how he presented the relationship from the get-go.

Similar to Power Girl's relationship with Val-Zod...it just wasn't written well. However, the Val-Zod one failed for different reasons, though ultimately the same reason(s). Just wasn't written well.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 04-03-2020 at 06:04 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Vibe really would fit well with the team and his powers would fit too.