Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zolos View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good Hulk story? Ideal for me would be one where he doesn't kill anyone. I really need help here.
    Out of curiosity, why is it imperative that you read a story that features Hulk not killing someone? As mentioned, there are probably higher body counts among others (i.e., The Punisher, Deadpool, Wolverine...). Even if Hulk killed someone, it is more than likely unintentional.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Hello, I have mainly registered for this question.

Are there any Hulk stories where Hulk doesn't kill anyone (or cripple them for life)?

Thanks a lot!

Edit: I changed the title because my question has been answered. Now I'm looking for a good hulk story. As can easily be seen in the original post it should ideally be a story in which hulk does not kill anyone. For me it is very confusing with the different storylines and writers.
    Try this one...

https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/i...ession-tp.html
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    For example, remember when Kang destroyed washington DC?
    Now the death aside, we basically saw washington rebuilt overnight, good as new.
    Except that Kang's weapon basically just killed everyone without destroying the city.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Out of curiosity, why is it imperative that you read a story that features Hulk not killing someone? As mentioned, there are probably higher body counts among others (i.e., The Punisher, Deadpool, Wolverine...). Even if Hulk killed someone, it is more than likely unintentional.
    Good question. I would like to buy these comics for the lounge area of ​​a public place. I don't want to put up any stories there that involve killing. Because its a sensitive topic that i want to avoid to arise there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Does it have to be recent? I really enjoyed IH 300 - 313, where Hulk was banished to the nexus of realities. Absolute must read for true Hulk fans, complete with essential back story for Banner.
    That reads like what i am looking for ! I will take a closer look at that. Great that the background story of banner is included! Thanks!!!
    Edit: Is there a collection book that includes IH 300 - 313?

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Thank you for the recommendation and the link! I will definitely look at that. Edit: I just ordered it.
    Last edited by Zolos; 03-22-2020 at 08:33 PM.

Good question. I would like to buy these comics for the lounge area of ​​a public place. I don't want to put up any stories there that involve killing. Because its a sensitive topic that i want to avoid to arise there.

That reads like what i am looking for ! I will take a closer look at that. Great that the background story of banner is included! Thanks!!!
    Edit: Is there a collection book that includes IH 300 - 313?

Thank you for the recommendation and the link! I will definitely look at that. Edit: I just ordered it.

300-313 is collected. I believe it’s out of print however. The book you just ordered leads right into it so if you are able to find it, it’s like one continuous flow of 30 issues or so.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Spectacular Member

I'll recommend a few from different timeframes stopping with Peter David (there are good stories after that, but the earliest stuff excites me more). From memory Hulk never kills anyone, though characters in some cases like by others' hands.

Early years:
    Incredible Hulk #1. His origin story is worth reading if only to see how it contrasts with later material.

Hulk smash era:
    Incredible Hulk #140: in the Microverse, Hulk regains his Banner persona and falls in love with Jarella.
    Incredible Hulk #182: Hulk befriends travelling musician Crackajack Jackson and gains an appreciation for beans.

Peter David era:
    Incredible Hulk #345: Hulk tries to save Middletown from being blown up by the Leader's gamma bomb
    Incredible Hulk #377: Doc Samson and the Ringmaster try to merge the Hulk's various personas in order to cure Banner not of the Hulk but of his dissociative identity disorder.
    Adminstrator,
    Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works
    https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/index.php

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    300-313 is collected. I believe itÂ’s out of print however. The book you just ordered leads right into it so if you are able to find it, itÂ’s like one continuous flow of 30 issues or so.
    301-313 is in Hulk Crossroads. Hulk Pardoned and Hulk Crossroads seem interesting to me. But I can't find them anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy E. Nystrom View Post
    I'll recommend a few from different timeframes stopping with Peter David (there are good stories after that, but the earliest stuff excites me more). From memory Hulk never kills anyone, though characters in some cases like by others' hands.

Early years:
    Incredible Hulk #1. His origin story is worth reading if only to see how it contrasts with later material.

Hulk smash era:
    Incredible Hulk #140: in the Microverse, Hulk regains his Banner persona and falls in love with Jarella.
    Incredible Hulk #182: Hulk befriends travelling musician Crackajack Jackson and gains an appreciation for beans.

Peter David era:
    Incredible Hulk #345: Hulk tries to save Middletown from being blown up by the Leader's gamma bomb
    Incredible Hulk #377: Doc Samson and the Ringmaster try to merge the Hulk's various personas in order to cure Banner not of the Hulk but of his dissociative identity disorder.
    Thank you for your help!
    I ordered Hulk: Heart of the Atom based on your recommendation and the preview. There is # 140 included.
    I am considering ordering Essential Hulk Vol.5 additionally. There is #171-200 included. I saw in the preview of a story there, that hulk says to himself he doesn't want to fight with "puny humans" but wants a friend ... then he looks at his shadow and realizes that no friend stays with him except his shadow. It was kind of cool. The Preview of Incredible Hulk #197 was very funny to me. Hulk only wants his peace from people, suddenly crocodiles attack him. When he complains that animals are also attacking him, suddenly a snake comes to strangle him.
    Last edited by Zolos; 03-23-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Spectacular Member

Thank you for your help!
    I ordered Hulk: Heart of the Atom based on your recommendation and the preview. There is # 140 included.
    I am considering ordering Essential Hulk Vol.5 additionally.
    Hope you like. I love the Essential series. I know some people don't like the lack of colour, but I find that the B&W really brings out the detail in the artwork a lot more.
    Adminstrator,
    Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works

The only thing getting killed by the Hulk is the economy.
    Not to damage control. They make money off of hulks rampages.

The Mantlo run (Starting in the mid 80s) is sort of where a lot of the more modern Hulk lore/mythology gets it's start. Basically, after years of the Savage Hulk, the book started to explore things a bit differently by having a prolonged period with an intelligent Hulk, and then taking it in completely the opposite direction with a mute, completely berserk Hulk. He ended his run by pretty much setting up an untold tale of Banner's past that has pretty much been a major part of the character since (and inspired elements of the 2003 movie).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy E. Nystrom View Post
    Hope you like. I love the Essential series. I know some people don't like the lack of colour, but I find that the B&W really brings out the detail in the artwork a lot more.
    Thank you for the information. Is it completely black&white?
    The lack of color doesn't bother me. The main thing is that I like the storyline and the art. And that it is possible for me to sympathize with the character. Like here for example
    I saw in the preview of a story there, that hulk says to himself he doesn't want to fight with "puny humans" but wants a friend ... then he looks at his shadow and realizes that no friend stays with him except his shadow. It was kind of cool. The Preview of Incredible Hulk #197 was very funny to me. Hulk only wants his peace from people, suddenly crocodiles attack him. When he complains that animals are also attacking him, suddenly a snake comes to strangle him.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The Mantlo run (Starting in the mid 80s) is sort of where a lot of the more modern Hulk lore/mythology gets it's start. Basically, after years of the Savage Hulk, the book started to explore things a bit differently by having a prolonged period with an intelligent Hulk, and then taking it in completely the opposite direction with a mute, completely berserk Hulk. He ended his run by pretty much setting up an untold tale of Banner's past that has pretty much been a major part of the character since (and inspired elements of the 2003 movie).
    Good to know! So far bill manlo looks the most interesting to me. Len wein seems to me to have some interesting stories too. But so far I can hardly rate that because I have hardly read hulk stories, only Immortal Hulk Vol. 1, whose story I didn't like. I mainly looked at a few previews.
    Last edited by Zolos; 03-23-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Spectacular Member

Thank you for the information. Is it completely black&white?
    The lack of color doesn't bother me. The main thing is that I like the storyline and the art. And that it is possible for me to sympathize with the character. Like here for example
    Yes, the entire Essential line is B&W. Before omnibuses took off it was intended to be a way to collect more issues than a typical trade and do so affordably. I like the omnibuses as well, but the Essentials give you more for your money. Story and art are more important for me as well.

Good to know! So far bill manlo looks the most interesting to me. Len wein seems to me to have some interesting stories too. But so far I can hardly rate that because I have hardly read hulk stories, only Immortal Hulk Vol. 1, whose story I didn't like. I mainly looked at a few previews.
    I would say that Mantlo did some of his best work on Hulk. Peter David is probably the best all around Hulk writer and definitely took Mantlo's ideas a lot further, but Mantlo did seem to be one of the first to realize that you can only do so much with the classic "Hulk smash!" version, as much fun as he is.
    Adminstrator,

All-New Member

I read now Hulk Annual #12 in The Incredible Hulk:Regression and its my favorite Hulk story so far. I really enjoyed it, because i like the story, the art style, the setting and this version of the Hulk.

I overall like how the The Incredible Hulk:Regression Paperback feels and looks. I look forward to reading on. Thanks again ARkadelphia for the recommendation !

All-New Member

Are there other stories with Hulk using Banner's mind, such as in Incredible Hulk annual # 12 or the story that starts with Incredible Hulk # 286? Thanks!

That was kind of part of the original idea behind the Merged Hulk from Peter David's run (Merged's main era was around #377-444 I think), that he was Banner merged with savage and Fixit, and hence the 'cured' Banner (although stuck in a Hulk form).

This was retconned in the Paul Jenkins run however (#12-33 of the late 90's relaunch), which basically had merged, or "the professor", simply be another Hulk personality that thought he was merged but wasn't.

Another smart Hulk that wasn't quite Banner was Doc Green from the Gary Duggan run, which was basically the savage Hulk given super-intelligence by Iron Man's extremis. He developed a cure for gamma radiation and went around depowering the other Gamma mutates/Hulks (Although a few have been restored in Immortal Hulk, although with new forms).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth