Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who else can't quarantine or social distance?

My job, law enforcement, obviously prevents me from any kind of quarantine or social distance. I'll continue to have to work until I either catch it or the crisis passes. Likewise my wife works at a hospital so she can't quarantine or social distance. We have pretty much resigned ourselves to the fact that one or both of us will catch it at some point.

My job is no where near as essential as law enforcement, but as an account manager for a factory my entire job is interacting with people. So long as the factory's open I'm on the clock and I don't really have a way fully to do my job without being there in person.

Granted if UAW succeeds in their semi strike I'll probably be looking at a two week layoff.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

I’m retired, so I technically don’t have to see anyone at all if I don’t want to.
    Other than walking my dogs and running every other day or so, I can literally just stay indoors.

Invincible Member

My job is in a state of flux. I work in an office setting although many times I'm asked to engage with the public. A few people are going to work from home, but the way we do most things, it's simply not workable. I was asked to stay home today and tomorrow. There's a good chance we'll end up shutting down.

I can quarantine... but I know my cousins are both Sheriffs at the police department who are stationed at the General Hospital. So my fingers are crossed that they don't catch anything.

I should be able to quarantine, except my idiot boss wants to actually break the law, risk a fine, not to mention the health of us and our customers, to keep our non-essential retail store open.

At times like this I feel pretty lucky. My father and I are on social security so we dont have to risk going to a job. We rarely leave the house anyway. Him because of his health and me because of my panic at leaving the house. I know in another thread I said I wasnt really scared of going anywhere because of the virus but I have changed my tune. my father is at very high risk. I am not going to risk him getting sick just so I can get a couple of comics. Lucky my comic shop owner is cool about this. He is mailing my comics to me and is letting me pay when I get back to the store.

The only thing that is really effects me much is that my agency has suspended case manager services unless it is an emergency. So I really cant get to the store right now any way.

I dont have to go to the store for a bit. We are stretching our food (a lot of eggs for dinner or soup.) I stocked up at the start of the month before the panic because I always do. I dont drive so when ,y case manager is able to get me to the store I stock up. My mental health agency let me do my appointment on the phone and are mailing me my meds. So I dont have to leave the house for a little bit.

I even cancelled my weekly DnD game to prevent anyone from getting my dad sick.
    Last edited by babyblob; 03-18-2020 at 05:52 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Invincible Member

Ha! My supervisor just texted me. There's not going to be more than 2-3 people in the office from now on for maybe 1-2 days a week. She said the rest of us should file for employment.

I travel a lot for work mostly and right now I should be in Denmark. Instead I have to Skype and do every thing digitally that I can. I manage laboratories so some of the things I need to do is hands on so it can be frustrating but, I have an awesome staff and we have been able to work much of what is needed out. I'm not "quarantined" as I'm still working from my office but I only interact with only 2 to 6 people personally in a laboratory environment so there is great house keeping procedures in place and a constant use of PPE.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    My job, law enforcement, obviously prevents me from any kind of quarantine or social distance. I'll continue to have to work until I either catch it or the crisis passes. Likewise my wife works at a hospital so she can't quarantine or social distance. We have pretty much resigned ourselves to the fact that one or both of us will catch it at some point.
    Please take care of yourself dude. I know neither you nor your wife can duck the risk, but please take every precaution to minimize it.

My job is retail/ grocery. I'm actually glad I even have a job that is not going to close down.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

My brother is in law enforcement, so I can sympathize. I hope you and your wife are able to remain safe and healthy, and thank you both for what you are doing for the rest of us.

I work in a bank, so I have no worries about that job going under. My position at the bank is a back office area, so I have no physical contact with customers, and I have a laptop so I can work from home, and have been since Thursday of last week. I'm one of the fortunate ones.

My situation is very up in the air. I'm in school and substitute teaching one day a week, so those are completely closed. I also work at a store, which the owner seems very reluctant to shut down. I completely sympathize with, but I do worry that we or our customers are going to get sick. I'm expecting we'll be shut down within the next few days, before my next shift. Crossing my fingers.

I live in Michigan, where my wife is now working from home (college professor) and our kids are homebound from daycare.

My company is a completely non-essential business that should be shut down for a couple weeks, but won't.

Even more frustrating is that we still allow homeowners to visit our building and tour our warehouse to view product firsthand. Who knows what they're carrying or who they've been in contact with at this point.

We kinda clean and disinfect daily, but unless ther governor orders us to shut down, we'll keep exposing ourselves till someone here gets infected with Coronavirus.

I hate this, but quitting would mean no chance of unemployment benefits to hold us over during the crisis (since absolutely no one is hiring right now for obvious reasons).

So off to work I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    My job is retail/ grocery. I'm actually glad I even have a job that is not going to close down.
    I totally get that. We both know that on the one hand we are lucky as the economic slowdown will not affect either of our jobs and we will have steady paychecks coming in. It still sucks though knowing we are probably going to get exposed given the vast amounts of people you have to contact. I'm 49 and she is 50 so we are probably safe health wise as it likely won't be fatal for us, we are both in decent health, but we both have senior parents we worry about infecting if we are asymptomatic but infected.