Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Who else can't quarantine or social distance?

My job, law enforcement, obviously prevents me from any kind of quarantine or social distance. I'll continue to have to work until I either catch it or the crisis passes. Likewise my wife works at a hospital so she can't quarantine or social distance. We have pretty much resigned ourselves to the fact that one or both of us will catch it at some point.

My job is no where near as essential as law enforcement, but as an account manager for a factory my entire job is interacting with people. So long as the factory's open I'm on the clock and I don't really have a way fully to do my job without being there in person.

Granted if UAW succeeds in their semi strike I'll probably be looking at a two week layoff.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

I’m retired, so I technically don’t have to see anyone at all if I don’t want to.
    Other than walking my dogs and running every other day or so, I can literally just stay indoors.

Invincible Member

My job is in a state of flux. I work in an office setting although many times I'm asked to engage with the public. A few people are going to work from home, but the way we do most things, it's simply not workable. I was asked to stay home today and tomorrow. There's a good chance we'll end up shutting down.

I can quarantine... but I know my cousins are both Sheriffs at the police department who are stationed at the General Hospital. So my fingers are crossed that they don't catch anything.

I should be able to quarantine, except my idiot boss wants to actually break the law, risk a fine, not to mention the health of us and our customers, to keep our non-essential retail store open.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    My job, law enforcement, obviously prevents me from any kind of quarantine or social distance. I'll continue to have to work until I either catch it or the crisis passes. Likewise my wife works at a hospital so she can't quarantine or social distance. We have pretty much resigned ourselves to the fact that one or both of us will catch it at some point.
    Please take care of yourself dude. I know neither you nor your wife can duck the risk, but please take every precaution to minimize it.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    My job is retail/ grocery. I'm actually glad I even have a job that is not going to close down.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    My job is retail/ grocery. I'm actually glad I even have a job that is not going to close down.
    I totally get that. We both know that on the one hand we are lucky as the economic slowdown will not affect either of our jobs and we will have steady paychecks coming in. It still sucks though knowing we are probably going to get exposed given the vast amounts of people you have to contact. I'm 49 and she is 50 so we are probably safe health wise as it likely won't be fatal for us, we are both in decent health, but we both have senior parents we worry about infecting if we are asymptomatic but infected.

I work retail/grocery.
    My mother has suggested I should consider quitting.

I'm reminded of the time, I think it was early March, when I went to the local supermarket and overheard two young employees talking about working and the Coronavirus. They weren't complaining, as much as the usual banter co-workers might do. More along the lines of, "are we at risk?'.

Now, when I go there, the store has taken as many precautions as it can to protect the workers and to remind the customers to keep distancing. I admire the workers sticking with it, and I wish them well.

Luckily for me, I can work from home.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Its hard for me gto social distance with my father. I have to help him out of his chair and to the shower. I have gloves that I wear when I do this and after his shower I take mine. That seems to be helping so far.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I went to walmart tonight and there was a woman bitching that she had to work when they were out of everything. And it made me mad because at least she still had a job. And I told her so. She just blew me off.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Well, today I couldn't stay in. I don't have a car so I walked to my doctors appointment which is doable distance wise, luckily enough and after it I went to the Stop and Shop next door to get a couple of things. I tried to keep away from people as best I could and kept my gloves on. When I walked back home I heard some guy in his car say "What is she doing out when there is a virus going around?" I wanted to say just for the fun of it but didn't. I gave people some wide births in and out of the store but smiled and nodded so they didn't think I was singling them out as I know people can get nasty because of this thing.

Incredible Member

Hi, french here, actually confined as a lot of people, following the istructions to limit my interactions with the outside world and glad our president took that decision, hopefully it will help us limiting the number of deaths.
    It's a strange era but exceptional circumstances call for exceptional decisions.
    We now know firsthand how highly contagious COVID-19 is and how deadly it can be.
    Wish you the best, my friends!