Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default DC Characters you like, but have no interest in reading

I’m talking about characters that currently have ongoing titles, TBC.

Wonder Woman comes to mind.
    I’ve always been a fan, but no direction has interested me enough to collect her solo book in, god, over twenty years.

Pretty much all of the big 5: Clark, Bruce, Diana, Hal, and Barry. I think the characters in their orbit are far more interesting: angry Kara, analytical Tim, epic Hippolyte, hopeful Razer, goofy Impulse.

This will likely be unpopular, but since he had an ongoing series until recently, I'd go with Martian Manhunter. I like the character in outside media and in team books he's a good player, but I really have no interest in reading solo stories about him. It's one of those characters that work best in a group setting imo. He's probably the DC counterpart of Jean Grey for me, who I also never cared much about reading solo stories for.

Extraordinary Member

I've always been about team books - JLA, JLI, JSA, Teen Titans, Legion of Super Heroes, L.E.G.I.O.N., etc...

However, there were times I bought stand-alone hero books over the years. I really like Wonder Woman but I can only think of a couple of issues that I ever bought of her solo series. And I lost interest pretty quickly.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I've always been about team books - JLA, JLI, JSA, Teen Titans, Legion of Super Heroes, L.E.G.I.O.N., etc...
    Ditto. I really like Nightwing, for instance, or Roy Harper, but have zero interest in reading a solo book about either. About the only solo book I've read from DC in the last decade or so was the Superboy series by Lemire, awhile back, and now the Far Sector book, currently. (And Swamp Thing and Man of Steel, way, way back in the day.) Otherwise, it's all Legion of Super-Heroes, Teen Titans, Young Justice, Power Company, (Batman and) the Outsiders, Wonder Twins, etc.

Same for Marvel. I love reading about Captain America as an Avenger (or Invader), but I don't think I've read a single issue of his solo series.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No one like that, honestly...

I guess the closest thing was Cyborg back when they were still hyping him, but that's because I'm not a robot guy and that seems to be their go-to conflict, but even then I'm still interested in the New 52 series just because I love Reis art and the robot designs. So it's not even total disinterest, more like, harder sell...0

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Some characters just don’t have the supporting cast and rogue’s gallery to be interesting solo heroes. Being good in a team dynamic or having spirts of popularity seem to be their upper limit.

Examples to me are...

Martian Manhunter.
    Aquaman
    Cyborg
    Powergirl