Default Mongul's family lineage

Was it an established thing that Mongul has a long line of murdering the elder male in their family and becoming the "new" Mongul?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

As a tradition it's a retcon that slips into the fact that the originally known Mongul died before it could come up.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

If I am not mistaken, the “original “ Mongul died in Underworld Unleashed. His son (along with Mongal-who was killed by the Son of Mongul) gave Supes fits for a while. I take it he was the one recently killed in Superman:Villains.

Nah it’s a new thing but it fits. The Mongul from FTMWHE got killed off like others have said, and his son Mongul Jr. was basically the Mongul of Post Crisis up until the Rebirth hit. There was no difference in characterization or motives for either one, so this new retcon just makes it official that each Mongul kills his father and takes over.

I always thought New 52/Rebirth Mongul was basically old school Mongul but with the feats of his pre-N52 son added to his canon. In Actions Comics Rebirth doesn't Mongul and Cyborg Superman treat each other as acquaintances? And they even replicate that scene where Mongul kneels before Henshaw in Reign of the Supermen. I read that arc as it came up years ago, so I might be misremembering some things. I know Mongul N52 also had a son, Jochi, but nobody cares about him
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH