Mighty Member

Default any history buffs?

I'm a big fan of Civil War History. Are there any good books you could recommend that explain the background and origins that led to the firing at Fort Sumter which started the Civil War? Shelby Foote's series I'd love to tackle too.

Fantastic Member

Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson.

https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Cry-Fr.../dp/019516895X

For a quick viewing Crash Course US History has a little on the Civil War, but what they offer are summaries rather than anything in depth.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Mighty Member

I'm also interested in presidential biographies also. David Mucculough's John Adams is very good. I heard Dumas Malone's six volume Jefferson series is the standard biography to read also.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I'm a big fan of Civil War History. Are there any good books you could recommend that explain the background and origins that led to the firing at Fort Sumter which started the Civil War? Shelby Foote's series I'd love to tackle too.
    Hopefully you have seen Ken Burns Civil War series.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Yes, I have seen that, and great overview of the Civil War. Foote also appeared in it. His insights are one of the best parts of the series.