Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The fact that you are cherry picking, went on to try to use the Tim didn't come from tragedy,
    I don't think Tim came from tragedy, either. His first pursuit of Batman to help and his first time donning the suit and his ultimate decision to become Robin were to help, without being motivated by personal loss. He had some difficulties, but not tragedy at that time (that came later), and he wasn't motivated by tragedy (nor was post-COIE Jason, who was in a situation to be "rescued" but not driven to do what he did out of an emotional reaction to his tragedy).

Later in Rebirth Tec he even says he was the only one that could help Batman when pressed by OZ why he had to be him.
    I don't think it was intentional by writers, but the entire intro for Tim came off very unhealthily to me (his expectation of Dick just giving up his entire life to go back to sidekick status, which would have been horribly unhealthy). And the role he had to play to help Bruce was extremely troublesome, as it's illustrative of Bruce's inability to deal with equals. Of course, Bruce really didn't consistently have those kind of problems after Jason's death - they were only written in when Tim was introduced. I don't mind that so much, but the very heavy victim-blaming of Jason in the era, I do. Moreso than that, though, in hindsight, Tim didn't really "fix" anything. He papered over the cracks, certainly (meaning Bruce got a bit better in the comics for a while) but Bruce got much less emotionally stable and more emotionally abusive over time (and real time is so much shorter than comic time, so only two-three years), so I don't feel like it ended up doing long-term good, even if they meant it to.

The thing to me is "Batman needs a Robin" had been used in a very different way in Batman #416, and the issues are close enough together I can't help but think of that and wonder if maybe it was intentional that it be "not right" when Tim said it, but they really don't seem to have been going that way to me.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-24-2020 at 05:28 AM.