Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
I loved it on the whole. The character pieces were a lot better than the more action-oriented stories.

In a way, it was nice that Dick, as the original Robin, got the most coverage - though ironically, most of his stories are from his post-Robin career (and the Robin one was right at the end). But as much as the stories varied in style, there was a consistent theme between all of them - the idea that Dick is his own man and wants to be a hero who's a compassionate protector first and foremost, rather than a grim avenger. Robin being a contrast to Batman was baked into the character from Day 1, in a sense, and we get to see all the manifestations of that simple idea in each of Dick's stories.

I must say I loved the 'twist' at the end of the first Dick story. It seems like we're getting the infamous 'Batjerk' version of Bruce, but actually we're getting a kinder Bruce with a heart of gold!

The Jason story was touching. Yes, its a little surprising to see the way young Jason is portrayed - he's usually shown to be this rebellious teen who always had a violent streak, not Bruce's loving adopted son. But it did drive home an aspect which has been a fundamental part of Jason's character lately - that he is a 'son' of Batman and will always be a part of Bruce's family, regardless of how far they've grown apart in a lot of other aspects.

Incidentially, did anyone else find it jarring just how young Jason looked in the flashbacks? He couldn't have been more than 8 or 9, and he's definitely at least 21 in the present-day parts. A hint towards 5G and the more expanded timeline?

The Tim stories were good too, especially the second one. I LOVED how Damien summed up where Tim currently falls in the pantheon of Robins. Its pretty much the same argument that's been made on this forum time and time again. And again, as with the Dick stories, it really sums up what makes Tim stand out - the fact that he actively chose to be Robin, more so than any of the others did.

Don't have much of an opinion about the Steph story. I actually think its the first time I've read Steph as Robin!

Didn't care much for the Super Sons story honestly. It seemed more like a Jon Kent story than a Damien one, and it was pretty sappy. The second Damien story was pretty cool though and reflected the dichotomy between father and son, both in terms of how alike they are and how different. Though I'm not a fan of stories in commemorative issues like this being part of a larger ongoing arc. But Damien's reflections on the 'revolving door' of Gotham's villains ties back to his earliest appearances and does reflect the spirit of the character.

Was there anything I'd liked to have seen done differently? A lot. The Titans story was easily dispensable IMO as was the Jon Kent story. Instead, we could have done with a story of Dick as Robin during the heyday of the original Dynamic Duo. A story actually set during Jason's time as Robin. A Carrie Kelly story would not have been amiss either.

But, again, on the whole this was a great celebration of the Boy (and Girl) Wonder!
Agreed on the Supersons story.

Disagree on Tim being the only one who chose to be Robin

All the Robins choose to be Robin didn't they? They all wanted to help .
Steph was used but she was already trying to help. think.

Carrie and Tim sort out Batman yeah but that doesn't change they fact that they all chose to be Robin/help