Mighty Member

Default The purpose of the ACTUAL Young Justice Team...

Hello,

I dont understand the purpose of the ACTUAL Young Justice Team:

The traditional Young Justice Team was composed by young Superheroes who wanted to become like their mentors one day and had a similar level of experience and a similar age.
    It was logical for me that they build a team.

Then they became Teen Titans, which was also logical for me, because they learned then from Cyborg,Starfire,Beast Boy and also Raven...
    They grew up during this time and especially Bart matured also during this time.

They became more powerful and Conner became a legend during IC and Bart became Flash and became a member of the JL.

BUT now the current YJ:

I simply dont understand the purpose of the team:

Conner,Cassie,Bart and Tim may LOOK younger now, but they still have years of experience etc. and are very powerful.

Aqualad was an interesting addition to the team, which could make sense, because he also belongs to a Super-Hero "Family" and is powerful etc.
    Amethyst is also good, because she is also a kind of "veteran" and she (at least in Pre-Flashpoint) was also a very powerful magician.

I am not a fan of Spoiler, because YJ already has Tim in their team and in a small team you should use Superheroes with a lot of different powers etc.

BUT I am not a fan of the rest:

-Arrowette: I like her, but she is a RETIRED Superhero, so for one arc or so its nice, but for the rest they should use an ACTIVE Superhero...
    -Teen Lantern: I like her, but she is a ROOKIE, while the CORE 4 have years of experience
    -Hex: She is also a ROOKIE and she is the weakest one in the team
    -Sideways: also a ROOKIE
    -Naomi: also a ROOKIE and her powers are similar to Conner and Cassie (POWER-HOUSE)
    -Wonder Twins: not a fan of them and they are INTERNS..
    -Dial H for Hero: I was never a fan of item based Superheroes...

What is the plan for the current YJ Team?

Should Conner,Cassie,Bart and Tim act as MENTORS for the young Superheroes?

If this is the plan then it will take years and the only ones who I am really interested in older Versions are:
    Conner,Bart,Tim,Cassie from the "old team" and Amethyst,Aqualad and MAYBE Teen Lantern from the new Team.

In the Anime-Series YOUNG JUSTICE it was ok, because they had a lot of interesting characters to use (Miss Martian,Aqualad,Halo,Geo-Force,Terra...).

I mean right now the team is composed by the current BIG 4 and ROOKIES/INTERNS like Teen Lantern,Dial H for Hero,Wonder Twins,Naomi,Sideways,Hex,.... and retired ones like Arrowette.....

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Conner,Cassie,Bart and Tim may LOOK younger now, but they still have years of experience etc. and are very powerful.
    Are they?

To me it seems like they their time as Teen Titans is out of continuity, and that they are mostly back to the point they were at the end the original Young Justice, Bart and Tim went even back to be Impulse and Robin instead of Kid Flash and Red Robin, and I think they are still supposed to be 16, which would make them iirc only a year older than during the original Young Justice run.

Astonishing Member

I'm going to pull a quote from Robin in the original series: "People always ask, 'Why Young Justice?' I'll tell you why: Because we're so damned glad we found each other, that we hold on to each other like life preservers as the flood waters rise. We don't get more complicated than that. We don't have to."

They're a group of friends who also happen to be a superhero team. That's it. Because when young superheroes become friends they get together and have team-ups and fight crime. That's normal for them. That's kind of the whole thing with calling in the reinforcements to save Kon. They're friend was in trouble so they pulled out all the stops. Cissie, who's retired, was even willing to make an exception this time because of that.

Yeah I agree I don’t always need a purpose or reason for a character or team, it’s because that character or team already has good chemistry and I want to see them work together and go on adventures. That’s why I like Young Justice currently, sure maybe it’s not connected to the big events of the universe (except for their recent appearances in Action Comics and Justice League) but it’s enough that the characters are written well enough, go on an adventure, and I’m having fun without having to worry about anything bad happening to my characters which not everyone can say right now.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Are they?

To me it seems like they their time as Teen Titans is out of continuity, and that they are mostly back to the point they were at the end the original Young Justice, Bart and Tim went even back to be Impulse and Robin instead of Kid Flash and Red Robin, and I think they are still supposed to be 16, which would make them iirc only a year older than during the original Young Justice run.
    In the issue where they arrive at the hall of justice and meet for the first time the Wonder Twins, Cassie introduces herself as FORMER TEEN TITAN member.
    I dont know if she refers to NEW52 or Pre-Flashpoint, because she seems to be a mix of both Cassie Versions...

But anyway Tim and Conner seems to be more like 19 or 20 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah I agree I don’t always need a purpose or reason for a character or team, it’s because that character or team already has good chemistry and I want to see them work together and go on adventures. That’s why I like Young Justice currently, sure maybe it’s not connected to the big events of the universe (except for their recent appearances in Action Comics and Justice League) but it’s enough that the characters are written well enough, go on an adventure, and I’m having fun without having to worry about anything bad happening to my characters which not everyone can say right now.
    With purpose I mean WHY they are back IN THIS WAY.
    I mean, I ask myself in which direction will this series go in future etc.

I mean we already have the Teen Titans who are Teens and would be a better place for ROOKIES,INTERNS etc.

Will this series follow the direction of the Young Justice Anime? with Conner,Cassie,Bart and Tim as senior members and mentors?

In the issue where they arrive at the hall of justice and meet for the first time the Wonder Twins, Cassie introduces herself as FORMER TEEN TITAN member.
    I dont know if she refers to NEW52 or Pre-Flashpoint, because she seems to be a mix of both Cassie Versions...

With purpose I mean WHY they are back IN THIS WAY.
    I mean, I ask myself in which direction will this series go in future etc.

I mean we already have the Teen Titans who are Teens and would be a better place for ROOKIES,INTERNS etc.

Will this series follow the direction of the Young Justice Anime? with Conner,Cassie,Bart and Tim as senior members and mentors?
    See here’s the thing with me, I don’t think everything necessarily needs a purpose. Sometimes a purpose or a goal with a story, character, or team can enhance a story and has done so in the past. But I don’t think every series needs that, sometimes it’s fine just to have characters or teams exist because we like them.

Supersons was only to have Damian and Jon team up
    Harley Quinn was just to follow the adventures of Harley
    Green Lantern is really just to tell the cosmic adventures of Hal Jordan

And as far as I can tell with Young Justice the only thing it’s about is bringing back these characters and friends together. Maybe there is a plan for them in the dc universe overall but maybe it’s fine just to have them exist and to tell stories that we can have fun with.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Yeah I don't necessarily need a "reason" beyond their social bond to get together, but they do have to have something interesting to do that doesn't bring up too many questions about why other major heroes aren't involved.

They are good friends. Though I think Bendis has not spent enough time with that aspect of the team as of yet.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member

But then it wouldn't really make much sense that they don't remember each other since they were all on both incarnations of the Teen Titans...

Tim was said to still be 16 in the Rebirth Tec series, and all the characters are still drawn at "teenager height" (Superboy is for example significantly shorter than Warlord) so I doubt that they are supposed to be adults in this book.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    See here’s the thing with me, I don’t think everything necessarily needs a purpose. Sometimes a purpose or a goal with a story, character, or team can enhance a story and has done so in the past. But I don’t think every series needs that, sometimes it’s fine just to have characters or teams exist because we like them.

Supersons was only to have Damian and Jon team up
    Harley Quinn was just to follow the adventures of Harley
    Green Lantern is really just to tell the cosmic adventures of Hal Jordan

And as far as I can tell with Young Justice the only thing it’s about is bringing back these characters and friends together. Maybe there is a plan for them in the dc universe overall but maybe it’s fine just to have them exist and to tell stories that we can have fun with.
    Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    They are good friends. Though I think Bendis has not spent enough time with that aspect of the team as of yet.
    No you didnt get my point:
    I dont know how to explain, but I am interested why the writers/DC brought them in such a way back.

So its more the question what DC plans with the team (now and in future)

Tim was said to still be 16 in the Rebirth Tec series, and all the characters are still drawn at "teenager height" (Superboy is for example significantly shorter than Warlord) so I doubt that they are supposed to be adults in this book.
    Is Tim still 16? I mean that was his age in the New 52 I think. After adding back all these years and history with Rebirth it would be weird for him to still be 16. I mean even Damian jumped from 10 to 13. You would think with all the time and history added back that Tim should be close to 20.

Tim was said to still be 16 in the Rebirth Tec series.
    I think the Robin 80th one-shot last week retconned that. The Red Robin story, set just before Tynion's Rebirth run of Detective Comics, had Tim tell Dick he wasn't 20 yet. That implies he's around 19. If he was still 16, surely he'd have said 18 and not 20?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

No you didnt get my point:
    I dont know how to explain, but I am interested why the writers/DC brought them in such a way back.

So its more the question what DC plans with the team (now and in future)
    I think you want to know the "direction" of Young Justice.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-