Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Apparently there is some thought this may be a heavy comedy series so those names are intentionally ott.
    It's not that it's an overt comedy series, but that clearly the new characters are supposed to be satirical.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Snowflake and Safespace are absolutely a bad idea. I mean, I get it ... automatically tons of free press, because people definitely noticed this, who otherwise probably would never have blinked as New Warriors was revived, struggled, and got cancelled again, with just its original characters in updated stories.

There's just not any way you're going to be able to use these characters to make some kind of positive social commentary, so trolling the public by naming the characters this way will inevitably end up being a bad idea, in retrospect ... however it may have somehow seemed a good idea, at the start.

Oh, also, Trailblazer and Screentime seem like rather lame characters, too. You know you're in trouble when the teenaged knockoff of Morbius is your most interesting character concept.
    They're not meant to be lasting characters. In the promo trailer the writer half gave it away when he admitted, "We're not worried about being dated, we're worried about today."

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    They're not meant to be lasting characters. In the promo trailer the writer half gave it away when he admitted, "We're not worried about being dated, we're worried about today."
    Not buying that the writer is that clever.

Apparently, his online presence has completely flat-lined over the intense response to his "creations". Huh, can't find his anywhere. So strange.

Astonishing Member

New 52

Convergence

Infinite Crisis

5G
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 03-24-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Which stories of the 5G event did you think were the worst executed?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Which stories of the 5G event did you think were the worst executed?
    More the fact that it apparently got a bunch of people fired from DC (Harvey Richards, Alex Antone, Pat McCallum).

That's just it tho, I feel like the only way to make these characters worse than if you played it straight would be if you created them in some lame attempt to be clever. It's just such low-hanging fruit that it's practically impossible to be good satire.

Not totally impossible, I'll grant -- I mean, anything is possible, even that something so apparently heavy-handed could end up being clever, after all. But practically impossible, still...
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post

Apparently, his online presence has completely flat-lined over the intense response to his "creations". Huh, can't find his anywhere. So strange.
    Its almost like he didnt want to deal with a million angry nerds acting like right wing trolls.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post

Him not talking to chuds on twitter before the story has even played out doesn't mean these characters weren't satire.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    That's just it tho, I feel like the only way to make these characters worse than if you played it straight would be if you created them in some lame attempt to be clever. It's just such low-hanging fruit that it's practically impossible to be good satire.

Not totally impossible, I'll grant -- I mean, anything is possible, even that something so apparently heavy-handed could end up being clever, after all. But practically impossible, still...
    Making fun of the expectations of reactionaries may be low hanging fruit, but this is the world we live in now. Some people literally make a living pretending to be outraged that "SJWs" have "ruined" some aspect of nerd culture.

Mighty Member

Spider-Man. First of all, a teenger can only be the hero's sidekick; secondly, what kid wants to read about a character with problems; and lastly, people don't like spiders!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Spider-Man. First of all, a teenger can only be the hero's sidekick; secondly, what kid wants to read about a character with problems; and lastly, people don't like spiders!
    said Larry Lieber to Stan Lee, but gave him a chance to show his character in Amazing Fantasy 15...the rest is history

House of M.

If One More Day is the mother of all bad ideas, here's the father.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    House of M.

If One More Day is the mother of all bad ideas, here's the father.
    I am one of the few people who liked House Of M. Well the spin offs more then the series but I did enjoy it all.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

One More Day

Avengers 200

Power Girl's mystical pregnancy story in Justice League Europe

Cassandra Cain's evil path

Everything about post crisis Supergirl

Action Comics 775

Kingdom Come

Rise of Arsenal

Cry For Justice

Dr Light as a rapist
    I think it was more to show not just how evil Slade was but also how evil Terra was. She was presenting herself to Changeling and the other Titans as this innocent victimized person, but her true self is out there fornicating and wearing bad make up and smoking cigarettes!
    Wolfman didn't think it made Slade evil for some reason.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-25-2020 at 10:56 AM.