Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    According to an article on CNN.com People on Social security who did not file taxes will still get it. They will go off the Social Security benefits statements. My case manager is saying the same thing. So they should get them.
    In my post that you responded to, I meant my parents did file their 2018 & 2019 taxes, so they're getting it, either way (If they're to receive anything).......What you mentioned is definitely ideal for elderly citizens who hadn't filed. I'm surprised the government gave some leeway on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The Armistice was signed on November 11th, 1918 (the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, as every good Canadian student knows) ending the war on the Western Front. The Treaty of Versailles was signed on June 28, 1919 and didn't take effect until January 10, 1920.

But yes the flu began before that and then continued until 1920. In fact it was already spreading through the military camps in Europe in 1917. As far as Canada goes (from what I read), in the spring of 1918, the first wave of the flu hit in Halifax, Quebec City and Montréal, then spread to the west across the Dominion. The virus then mutated and an even more deadly version of the flu hit in the fall of 1918, killing the most people. A third wave hit in the spring of 1919 and a fourth wave in the spring of 2020.
    I wonder if that's a portent of things to come with Covid-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I live in a city that is know for food, fun, parties, and lots of drinking. It is also the city with the highest Coronavirus related deaths per-capita in the United States. I work in a industry that has been hit hard by the economic downturn of the virus and other geo-political factors so I'm sure that lay offs are coming at some point. I manage a research and development laboratory and have done every thing I can to keep the people under me working full shifts because they get paid hourly.
    Sun Valley area in Idaho? Not sure if they have the highest death rate per capita, they've only had 2 deaths, but as of a couple of days ago they were highest infection rate per capita. The area only has 22,000 people but 351 cases at this time which is nearly half the total cases in the entire state. They were the first in Idaho to get hit and it obviously spread through a lot of people before the state issued any kind of stay at home orders. The whole county is basically on lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I now have a cousin with the virus in the hospital.

He's a cop (who was shot at back in July of 2018(?) in Dallas after the march by that shooter).
    We are having numerous cases at my department of people running up and coughing on or spitting at officers claiming they Covid positive. At least three people under arrest for other crimes (one was for severely beating his girfriend and breaking her ribs) claim Covid to try and avoid jail. So now the officers involved are in quarantine even though there is no evidence the guys actually have it as the hospitals due to HIPPA laws can't confirm or deny if he was ever tested.

And my dept has it easy so far as we have no confirmed cases, just five patrol officers (which is about 12% of the patrol division) in quarantine as a precaution.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    We are having numerous cases at my department of people running up and coughing on or spitting at officers claiming they Covid positive. At least three people under arrest for other crimes (one was for severely beating his girfriend and breaking her ribs) claim Covid to try and avoid jail. So now the officers involved are in quarantine even though there is no evidence the guys actually have it as the hospitals due to HIPPA laws can't confirm or deny if he was ever tested.

And my dept has it easy so far as we have no confirmed cases, just five patrol officers (which is about 12% of the patrol division) in quarantine as a precaution.
    That is dumb and disrespectful as hell. And that is coming from an EX Con. It angers me when I hear stories like this.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I'm nervous. I have a chronic illness and that lowers your immune system, also, I'm only about an hour away from NY and that has a crazy amount of cases. I have to go back out in a few days to get more groceries and I'll be walking it. I have been shopping for every 9 days trying to extend the days so I don't have to go as frequently, about as much as I can carry. I'll have to pick up my meds in about a week too. My doctors appointments are going virtual for now and we'll be using the Zoom sight but the place I get my meds don't have delivery. The routes I walk have never been overly crowded though and are usually just one or two people so that helps in the fear. Even the amount of people in grocery stores have been modest as if nothing has changed. I thought since people are out of work that it would be different. They must have shopped for the whole month like I can't, lol.

Retired

I try to go to the store only once a week and at a time when few people are there. And only the store that's closest (I don't have a car). Yet every time I go, the same shelves are bare. So either the store isn't getting in any new stock or the stock they got has gone right away. And then I feel like I've risked my life for nothing. If it's not too much to ask, I think the city should check in on people--maybe not coming to their door, but giving them a call to see that they're doing okay and if they have any special needs. I imagine there's many people who are stuck at home with no support.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I'm nervous. I have a chronic illness and that lowers your immune system, also, I'm only about an hour away from NY and that has a crazy amount of cases. I have to go back out in a few days to get more groceries and I'll be walking it. I have been shopping for every 9 days trying to extend the days so I don't have to go as frequently, about as much as I can carry. I'll have to pick up my meds in about a week too. My doctors appointments are going virtual for now and we'll be using the Zoom sight but the place I get my meds don't have delivery. The routes I walk have never been overly crowded though and are usually just one or two people so that helps in the fear. Even the amount of people in grocery stores have been modest as if nothing has changed. I thought since people are out of work that it would be different. They must have shopped for the whole month like I can't, lol.

Is there someone that can get that stuff for you?

But you are right-it does seem as very little has changed.

I have heard parties, shootings and the few times I have been out-folks were around. I have to get meds today too and this will be the furthest I have gone since March 23th.

Here in New York State, and especially in New York City, the number of cases has exploded so rapidly.

When I was first talking about this with my friends about a month ago, there were only 30 cases reported, and I think that was statewide.

A month later, there's about 103,000 cases in NYS.

Statewide deaths climbed from two on March 14 to around 3000 as of today, just 3 weeks later.

Right now, the IRS tax deadline is still July 15, but I think they're really going to have to move it further down the year or eliminate it entirely for this year. Also, even though the IRS has made the tax deadline July 15, everyone should double-check that their state income taxes are also not due until July 15.

Perhaps part of the stimulus package could be anyone owing $2500 or less in 2019 federal and state taxes doesn't have to pay. If you've already paid, you'll get it back.

I went to the grocery store today. My aunt did Senior Hour and I went in after that. The shelves were still pretty empty on a lot of things. We ended up going to two stores. I was able to stock up for the next two weeks I would say so I am not going out for awhile. My landlord came and got the rent today and told me that he would work with me if things get hard or loan me money if needed. he told me I dont have to worry about losing my place. I paid my rent for the month and told him I dont have to borrow money. But it is great that he is willing to help me like that.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I'm in a similar situation. I don't have to travel as far to go shopping, and the store isn't as crowded, however it is still hard to maintain the 6ft distance rule. My SM has signs up everywhere reminding people to do so, and they are trying to do what they can. It's gradually getting better as people go shopping less often, but it's still scary.

I don't go as often as I used to, and my husband and I take turns instead fo going together.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

For years I've done my weekly grocery shopping early on Sunday morning (7 a.m.) when the crowds aren't there. That simple stratagem has become even more important today.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I already lived most of my life on "off hours" so doing my **** when less people are around isn't a big change for me. But grocery stores closing at 10pm at the latest is still pretty early for me!

Other than the occasional trip for food, I've been locked up. Walking the dogs, and myself TBH, is the only outdooring I've done in weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I live in New York. I am doing all I can to keep safe. But the realization that I have a very good chance of contracting COVID is very real. More than that, there is always the thought in the back of my mind that this could kill me, and there is little I can do to stop that. I could die alone in a hospital corridor waiting for a ventilator. I am not living in fear, but there is a certain anxiety always present.
    Discussed same with wife. I stress how critical it is for the kids not to get infected. If one of our kids gets it, strangers will take our children without us to hospital. We will NOT be able to see much less visit them. They will be alone amongst strangers the entire time, probably unable to even speak if they get intubated.

Worst case scenario: will be our children dying alone & scared beyond my simple understanding. I may never get to hold my children ever again if they get full blown infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Here in New York State, and especially in New York City, the number of cases has exploded so rapidly.

When I was first talking about this with my friends about a month ago, there were only 30 cases reported, and I think that was statewide.

A month later, there's about 103,000 cases in NYS.

Statewide deaths climbed from two on March 14 to around 3000 as of today, just 3 weeks later.

Right now, the IRS tax deadline is still July 15, but I think they're really going to have to move it further down the year or eliminate it entirely for this year. Also, even though the IRS has made the tax deadline July 15, everyone should double-check that their state income taxes are also not due until July 15.

Perhaps part of the stimulus package could be anyone owing $2500 or less in 2019 federal and state taxes doesn't have to pay. If you've already paid, you'll get it back.
    I hear ya bro. Live in Northern NJ, right across the river from NYC. Checking the local news here, and it's usually Gov. Cuomo talking about the latest updates on cases and deaths. As I'm sure you've guys have started to do, a lot of us have started to heed the suggestion of wearing masks whenever we're out. First time in about a week last night when I watched TV and was just really floored by the amount of commercials devoted to Covid 19, whether it was reminders to socially distance, a car company talking about holding off payments, or McDonald's reminding people they could still order out. Went out last night to do laundry and this morning to do groceries, and just saw lots of people wearing masks. Plus, lines of people waiting to go to the Walgreen's or supermarket.

In terms of the job front, starting to get used to teaching online. I feel a little guilty saying this, but I'm liking it. Not having to do classroom management has really reduced the stress. Managing kids on Zoom and making sure kids get their assignments in though has been challenging. Talking with other teachers and they've said that students are missing school. The structure and routine, meeting with friends and having that safe environment (especially for a lot of my students who don't have that safe environment at home), school means a lot.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Like the vast majority of people I'm pretty much housebound and, bar the odd trip to the shops or the supermarket, will be for the foreseeable future. I suffer from asthma. It's not a bad case of the condition and is well under control. However I've been given strict instructions to self isolate as much as possible as people with breathing difficulties are particularly at risk. I don't have any children but I'm scared shitless about my Mother getting it. She works for the NHS and is considered essential staff. She even has official documentation on her person in case she gets stopped at any time.

I live relatively rurally and can only imagine how devastating this is for people in large urban areas. I'm currently between work contracts as opposed to between jobs. My last contract in Manchester finished about a month ago and potential work from the agencies that I deal with has fallen off a proverbial cliff. I'm lucky in that I can afford to weather this. Other people won't be as lucky.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!