Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

I got my stimulus check direct deposited today. I will use most of it to pay off my NY State tax bill.
    Watching television is not an activity.

I hope that Congress might take a look at the underemployed in addition to the unemployed and small businesses in addition to the unemployed and corporations eventually. If I hadn't been sitting on an inheritance I would have been approaching panic before the stimulus hit - while I'm glad I'm still working (and thereby still have health insurance) my hours per week have shrunk from 40 to 24. Other people in my situation are probably not quite as fortunate as I am - even I wasn't in as good a shape as I'm currently in only 2 1/2 years ago (and my wife would rather have her mother back as it was sudden and she wasn't that old).
    Dark does not mean deep.

Got mine today. Don't need it, neither my wife nor I are losing income as we are both in essential jobs, but I'm not going to turn down free money.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Got mine today. Don't need it, neither my wife nor I are losing income as we are both in essential jobs, but I'm not going to turn down free money.
    It's not free money. The government will come back for it on next year's taxes.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    It's not free money. The government will come back for it on next year's taxes.
    From what I have read on the news fact checkers you aren't required to pay back the excess. So while I won't be getting a tax return next year, the additional money is mine. So how much is free money depends on how your federal taxes look each year.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    From what I have read on the news fact checkers you aren't required to pay back the excess. So while I won't be getting a tax return next year, the additional money is mine. So how much is free money depends on how your federal taxes look each year.
    That's the way it's written. But I can't help suspecting extending benefits to the US people has been a miserable necessity for the Ayn Randian-objectivist conservatives. When the heat's off, they will be looking for a way to ensure the butchers bill lands squarely on the middle-class and poor, and as far away from the wealthy as possible.

Invincible Member

I finally got mine, sorta. I checked my account this morning, the amount was there and it says "pending".

Disappointed that people are still hoarding toilet paper and paper towels. Also, lazy people are buying up all the cup of soup and ramen noodles.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I finally got mine, sorta. I checked my account this morning, the amount was there and it says "pending".

Disappointed that people are still hoarding toilet paper and paper towels. Also, lazy people are buying up all the cup of soup and ramen noodles.
    I know, right? The shelves are bare when it comes to noodles.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

It's not necessarily laziness. It's that ramen noodles will keep a lot longer than, say meat or fresh vegetables. So you can stock up and it will last for weeks if you don't, you know, gorge yourself on it.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Shelf stable carbs, man!

I had my fill of Ramen in prison. If I ever eat them again I have to be damn hungry.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

My university is going to extend our PhD endpoint by (probably) three months, but as we are funded by various medical research councils and CRUK etc, our funding isn't extended so I (and I suspect most) can't take up the time extension anyway. I'm also on a list waiting to be drafted into a diagnostics lab so that will also impact my progress, although in that case I don't mind because I'll happily give up that time to help with the diagnostics. Still, it's not great. The biggest impact however is that the gender identity clinic has completely shut down which pushes my treatment process back even further, which is raising my anxiety levels to the point of not being able to eat as regularly as I should. I finish my PhD in October 2022 so I am now also worried about the state of jobs and post-doc positions available when I finish, which I can't really judge at this point, it might actually not be that bad when I graduate.

On the other hand, I have a roof over my head, my income hasn't stopped and none of my loved ones have died. So, can't really complain too much, although the impact of the clinic being shut is drastically affecting my mental health, so that is a major concern.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

The cruise I was going to take in May has been officially cancelled. It was apparent it would be for some time now but Royal Caribbean seemed to be holding out trying to avoid it til today.

Going to have take a lot of airline vacations in the next year or two though. We bought our plane tickets right before the pandemic broke. $2000 roughly for 4 of us. Then the pandemic hits and airline prices hit rock bottom. So we got nearly $1000 in credits for the difference in prices. Now we are getting credits for the full price we originally paid. $3000 in in credits. I imagine prices will stay low even when things start opening up again so that will go a long ways.

Incredible Member

Greg Hatcher posts in the cover contests here but I'm not sure that he's active on CBR otherwise. He's written something that deserves to be read & shared widely. Greg and his wife are both on the front lines of dealing with COVID-19.

http://atomicjunkshop.com/real-thing...-the-hot-zone/
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

All-New Member

I miss going to college. I'm stuck studying at home for the rest of the semester.