Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast

Default How has CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) affected YOUR life?

Share your stories about how the Coronavirus has affected your life or things where you live.

I'm in New York, so we've been greatly affected. My office has semi-shut down, and a lot of us are working from home.

Broadway has shut down.

Gatherings of 500 or more people were banned, and on Tuesday a new ban went into affect that restaurants can only offer take out and delivery service. No dining in.

Movie theaters are mostly closed.

Comic shops are hurting.

In San Francisco, I'm reading that there is a ban on a lot of outdoor activity, and it is basically permitted only under certain circumstances. New York is considering the same thing.

Only time will tell if all of this is an overreaction, but for now, this is the new normal.

So, what are things like where YOU live, and are you concerned about things getting worse in terms of the virus spreading to your area if it hasn't already, and are you worried that these measures taken by local governments constitute an infringement on personal freedoms?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I live in Philadelphia, personally speaking, it hasn't been too terribly bad so far. I work in the federal government, so I don't have to worry about being laid off or furloughed, though the building I work at which has a staff of nearly 200 hundred people is practically empty, along with myself, I'd say there are perhaps only eight or nine others physically in the building, the rest are teleworking.

I'm in good shape when it comes to toilet paper, hand sanitizer, hand soap and disinfectant wipes, as long as the supermarkets remain open (the nearest one is only half a mile away from my house), I won't starve. I'm practicing social distancing, so that's no problem, but I'm bummed because I can't go to the gym for my twice weekly workout, so I have to settle for long walks after work, meanwhile, I can't get my weekly comic book fix. Oh, yeah, as a sports nut, I'm down in the dumps with EVERY league shut down, but, I'm not at a loss for entertainment as I have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Britbox, plus Crunchyroll and Funimation for anime to keep me busy.

I for one have no problem with all the precautions taken by local governments and the national government. We're in uncharted territory, unlike the flu which has a beginning, middle and end, we know nothing about coronavirus and how deadly it can get if allowed to spread like wildfire, also, unlike the flu, COVID-19 has no cure. In my opinion, personal freedom is meaningless when you're in a pine box. Better to bite the bullet and let this thing run it's course, then return to whatever semblance of life the world knew before it sprng on us like some beast in the night.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 03-19-2020 at 08:25 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Only time will tell if all of this is an overreaction, but for now, this is the new normal.
    If it works, we'll never know if it was an overreaction. The whole point of all of these measures is to make sure that the virus is not as bad as it could be. And I personally, don't really give a damn about personal freedoms in a situation like this and frankly, this whole mess has really shown that most Americans aren't very responsible with their freedoms. So many Americans get so aggressive when they think people are telling them what to do that they actively made the stupid decision. If everyone is left to their own dispositions, we're never going to get on top of this and millions of people are going to die (not an exaggeration based on worst case numbers). People are going to have to suck it up and get over their infantile concepts of what freedom is.

Edit: Didn't say how it's affecting my life... well, I'm in grad school so all of my classes have switched to online which is an adjustment. I was subbing one day a week in a middle school, so I'm not doing that either. I do have a part time job where I work three days a week, but it's at a comic book store, so I imagine we won't be open for much longer per an order from the governor. If I still go to work, it will likely be without customers. Thankfully, between my wife who has a lot of job security, my student loans and a decent savings account still built up from our wedding, we'll be fine through the end of the year, if need be.
    Last edited by C_Miller; 03-19-2020 at 08:19 AM.

I work as a cleaner in a school, and they've given us a new schedule for the next several weeks. The school is already closed for students and will be closed for teachers starting next week. We cleaners will work alternate weeks, so when I go in next week, it will be just me and one or two other cleaners, and then the following week, I will stay home, but I will still get paid.

I was thinking of going to my LCS yesterday, but thought better of it. I did call them and ask for them to hold a few books for me, but who knows how long they will do that before they have no choice but to shut down?
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I work as a cleaner in a school, and they've given us a new schedule for the next several weeks. The school is already closed for students and will be closed for teachers starting next week. We cleaners will work alternate weeks, so when I go in next week, it will be just me and one or two other cleaners, and then the following week, I will stay home, but I will still get paid.

I was thinking of going to my LCS yesterday, but thought better of it. I did call them and ask for them to hold a few books for me, but who knows how long they will do that before they have no choice but to shut down?
    My store was still open, but the guy was wearing gloves and a mask ( he apologized for looking silly).

Ultimate Member

I have relatives in a nursing home, we can't see them.

I mentioned in the other thread, that they decided to shut my workplace down after all.

There's been some mild panic buying in my neighborhood, but most people seem to be just rolling with the punches.

I live in St. Louis, and work for Cash App. We literally just moved to a new office on a Monday, and by Tuesday we were strongly advised to work from home. By the end of the week, it was mandatory work from home. Best part of that is that I don't have to wake up at 5:30 in the morning so I can make the drive down town. Worst part is that it is very hard to be productive working from home at times.

I work on a college campus in the Houston area; which has been taking the same precautions that so many others have. The students were asked to use Spring Break to move back to their respective homes; and classes are going to remote instruction only; beginning Monday. Faculty and staff have been allowed to work remotely if they had underlying health concerns; kids home due to school closures, etc. After tomorrow, we will have only a skeleton crew of essential staff on campus, to look after infrastructure, security, etc. I'm not in that category; so I begin working from home on Monday.

As for job security, the university has pledged to not furlough, reduce pay, etc. for the remainder of the semester. I guess we'll see what happens after that. My wife works in a small architecture firm; and they are pretty concerned about their clients going into hibernation and the projects drying up. So there are a lot of unknowns right now; which is making it tough for many people.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I work for a bank in NJ, but I am fortunate enough that I have a back-office position and can work from home.

I also managed to get to a supermarket before panic buying fully started, so I am stocked up and ok.

I wasn't sure how mail delivery is going to be affected, so I mailed out whatever bills I have that I still use 'snail mail' for early, to ensure payment was received on time.

I'm a teacher in the NJ/NY area, so I'm feeling the pinch with the first post. We have made all classes virtual which has been okay for some students, but not for others. I've to talk with my fellow teachers about making sure kids are on task with their assignments given. Unfortunately, many feel inundated at the moment. Online apps and stuff have been helpful, but not always. My kids have told me they can't access certain educational sites where I put assignments. I can't see them, so I don't know the exact nature of the problem.

Been meeting with other teachers through text, Google, and zoom. We're keeping aware of things.

It's disheartening to see what's happening to NYC. I've heard that over half of the cases in the state originate in the city. My sisters work there in different capacities. They've been adapting like I have with virtual meetings and such. But there are some things they can't do over the computer. I'm disheartened to see a lot of the restaurants, museums, and other events in the city effectively shut down.

I'm just sad about human contact. Haven't been in physical contact with people. I get out and run laps around the block, but it's lonely.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Boisterously Confused

I'm a professor. I'm fortunate. Tenured, and well paid. We've got the essentials, but I went against the crowd and have concentrated on fresh produce more than canned goods, so I've had no problem restocking (although I'll admit, salad number 11 begins to lack for charm).

The wife and I are making a point of picking up at least one meal a day from one of our locally owned eateries, even if only as takeout, and I and visit my local, non-chain coffee shop every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Malvolio, I appreciate your work, and am glad your school is taking care of you. I've been in my office about half the time for differing reasons. Our custodians are working very hard to keep our building safe for us.

I am one of the lucky ones I think. This hasnt effected me too much.

My dad and I dont go out much. My dad because of his health, and myself because of my mental health problems. We kinda of stocked up of toilet paper before the panic and did a good amout of grocery shooping at the start of the month. I always kind of stock up at the beginning of the month because I dont have a car and my case manager who takes me places gets busy sometimes.
    My mental health office has done over the phone appointments and mailed me my meds.
    The big thing is that they suspended case manager services so I dont know how I will get to the store. That is not reaaly good but we dont need to go right now any way.
    I am short of money because at the start of the month I loaned my mom some money and got some action figures for me and my dad. We didnt expect this so we didnt think to save money. We did have a bank account or at least a small one but that has been tapped into for my dads medicine and my aunt got real sick and has no insurance so she had some big doctors co pays and bills for medicine.

My father and I are on social security so I am not too worried about my income. Unless the government goes so broke they put it on hold. Put in that case my landlord said he would work with me. he already is in the sense that he cut my rent 100 bucks a month while this is going on.

I did cancel my weekly Dnd game but that is so minor I will not bitch a about it.

So all in all I am one of the lucky ones who is not put out by this. I feel bad for others who are not so lucky.
    Last edited by babyblob; 03-19-2020 at 01:02 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I'm a teacher in the NJ/NY area, so I'm feeling the pinch with the first post. We have made all classes virtual which has been okay for some students, but not for others. I've to talk with my fellow teachers about making sure kids are on task with their assignments given. Unfortunately, many feel inundated at the moment. Online apps and stuff have been helpful, but not always. My kids have told me they can't access certain educational sites where I put assignments. I can't see them, so I don't know the exact nature of the problem.

Been meeting with other teachers through text, Google, and zoom. We're keeping aware of things.

It's disheartening to see what's happening to NYC. I've heard that over half of the cases in the state originate in the city. My sisters work there in different capacities. They've been adapting like I have with virtual meetings and such. But there are some things they can't do over the computer. I'm disheartened to see a lot of the restaurants, museums, and other events in the city effectively shut down.

I'm just sad about human contact. Haven't been in physical contact with people. I get out and run laps around the block, but it's lonely.
    I hear you man. I do one zoom a day just for some human contact beyond my wife. You can handle this. Hold on.

Incredible Member

I'm in a suburb of Portland, Oregon, and I haven't left my house in a week. Well, I've walked out in the yard and to the mailbox at the curb, but that's it. Someone who works at a different company in the same building as my office tested positive last week, so they closed the office indefinitely. I was working from home often already; now it's full-time. All of the schools, restaurants, museums, etc. are closed around here, but the stores are open. There has been panic buying, but we're well-stocked for a while.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I hear you man. I do one zoom a day just for some human contact beyond my wife. You can handle this. Hold on.
    From one educator to another, thanks . While I miss human contact and checking in with my kids (though I'll be doing that more over zoom soon), I must say it's pretty good not have to manage a classroom full of 12 - 13 year old's. Very relaxing. Especially when I can have a nice afternoon nap.

On other serious things though, yeah, the city. I had plans to visit sometime this month. Either head to the Met or over to Chinatown and the Museum of Chinese in America there. Meet with friends possibly. Just quashed for the time being. I'm also concerned about the economic toll of the virus. I'm lucky to be able to work from home and be a teacher. Others not much so. .Next door neighbor builds sets for Broadway. Well, that's effectively over. He's worried about what happens if social distancing and quarantines last over a month.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."