Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I'm still on temp leave of absence from my job. I'm not sure if it will come back but I've still got the hardware for it at home. I'm in Waukegan, IL. So we will be opening up restaurants and movie theaters on Friday. I'm not rushing out to sit in a crowd for a few hours so I'm not planning on changing my lifestyle. I'm still getting the extra on unemployment and that gives me the same income as work. My wife is still able to work from home. They started having her come in every other week, her office is at 30 percent. So we have the medical coverage we need. I was supposed to go on a cruise and then Disney World in Sept. I'd like to at lease visit my Dad for a few weeks but he's in Florida and there aren't too many safe area's around him.

I'm an "essential" so I never stopped working. Thankfully, overtime has been pretty steady too.

My wife has been SWAMPED with work for the past month since things have eased up. She has had to dial back her availability for new orders till about Oct. Funny, people still trying to reach out to her for new orders. I'm telling her to raise her prices to get them to back off...it's not working.

Still, not allowing the family to go to theatres, restaurants, parties, etc. Almost every big purchase has been online order/delivery.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    So, it's been a couple of weeks since anyone posted on this thread. Is everything now back to normal where you live?

In NYC, I don't think the shutdown has been fully lifted, but I do see more and more people not really bothering to wear masks when they're walking outside. Stores still have signs requiring people to wear masks inside. However, I'm seeing more and more restaurants offering outside al fresco dining. I don't know if this is actually a good thing.

Is everyone back to work, or are you still collecting unemployment? How much longer is unemployment scheduled to last?

Has anyone noticed changes in the way people are interacting with each other even now, or is everyone in your area acting like "it's all over," and going back to the old ways of social interaction?

They cut my unemployment since I'm "working" from home now. In fact I got my first check and it's horrible but considering the hours they ended up giving us, it was kind of expected. The physical office will be open on some days about a month from now, but who knows how many of us will be returning to that suite.

As far as people walking around in the neighborhood, it depends on what day and what time, but I'd say 1/2 to about 2/3 of the people are still wearing masks. The stores are enforcing the regulations, I haven't seen any fights over it recently.

Full employment started at my job this Monday. Plus, I am getting an extra half hour of overtime 2-3 days every week in order to help with the temperature checks now required before clocking in to work.

There will also be a a few half shifts of overtime available in the next 2 weeks as the guy with the most vacation available will be taking some starting next week. I work in the quality department, so we don't have many people available. 2 people per shift, so when someone takes a vacation I get half of it unless they are only taking a single day (which sometimes happens but not always). I used to get most of it since the other guy on my shift has kids, making it harder for him to work over without making arrangements. Currently school is out for the season, maybe longer depending on how things go on the pandemic front.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

A friend of my parents died from it who was like an uncle to me... My mom is really sad.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    So, it's been a couple of weeks since anyone posted on this thread. Is everything now back to normal where you live?

In NYC, I don't think the shutdown has been fully lifted, but I do see more and more people not really bothering to wear masks when they're walking outside. Stores still have signs requiring people to wear masks inside. However, I'm seeing more and more restaurants offering outside al fresco dining. I don't know if this is actually a good thing.

Is everyone back to work, or are you still collecting unemployment? How much longer is unemployment scheduled to last?

Has anyone noticed changes in the way people are interacting with each other even now, or is everyone in your area acting like "it's all over," and going back to the old ways of social interaction?
    In Texas, people are mostly going about business as usual even as cases rise dramatically.

We were shut down for a short time, but once Governor Abbott lifted restrictions, people pretty much took that as an all clear signal. Even though it really, really isn't.

See mostly older people wearing masks, younger people not so much.

At any rate, things are getting scary here and it's only going to continue.

As of tomorrow masks in public are mandatory here in Washington.

Things aren't even remotely "back to normal" though some people are trying to act like it is. I expect things are going to continue to get worse before they get better. We as a country have absolutely botched this thing, and now we are paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    In Texas, people are mostly going about business as usual even as cases rise dramatically.

We were shut down for a short time, but once Governor Abbott lifted restrictions, people pretty much took that as an all clear signal. Even though it really, really isn't.

See mostly older people wearing masks, younger people not so much.

At any rate, things are getting scary here and it's only going to continue.
    On Wednesday, Texas hit a record with over 5,500 cases in one day. So yeah, things are getting scary again. We seemed to be on a good trend back in April; but those gains are lost now. Governor Abott certainly didn't help the situation by overriding local government efforts when he decided it was time to reopen the state.

When this thread began in March, I mentioned that my dad was in the hospital for surgery; and how the hospital was extremely strict with who was and wasn't allowed in the front door due to COVID-19 precautions. Two days after the cardiac bypass procedure; the hospital decided that is was too much of a risk to place him directly in a post-surgery step down unit. They decided it was less-risky to just discharge him and send him home until conditions were safer. Sadly, there were complications that surfaced after going home. His blood pressure was wildly unstable; making him dizzy to the point where he fell and broke his nose. After that incident, he began to decline even more; to the point where his primary care physician ordered hospice care. He just went downhill from there; and on Memorial day, he passed away.

My mom, sister, and I will probably spend the rest of our days wondering if the outcome might have been different if normal post-surgery protocols had been in place. It's hard to not think that he might have had a better chance if he was under direct care during the week or two after surgery; rather than "virtual medicine".
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

I am so sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    On Wednesday, Texas hit a record with over 5,500 cases in one day. So yeah, things are getting scary again. We seemed to be on a good trend back in April; but those gains are lost now. Governor Abott certainly didn't help the situation by overriding local government efforts when he decided it was time to reopen the state.

When this thread began in March, I mentioned that my dad was in the hospital for surgery; and how the hospital was extremely strict with who was and wasn't allowed in the front door due to COVID-19 precautions. Two days after the cardiac bypass procedure; the hospital decided that is was too much of a risk to place him directly in a post-surgery step down unit. They decided it was less-risky to just discharge him and send him home until conditions were safer. Sadly, there were complications that surfaced after going home. His blood pressure was wildly unstable; making him dizzy to the point where he fell and broke his nose. After that incident, he began to decline even more; to the point where his primary care physician ordered hospice care. He just went downhill from there; and on Memorial day, he passed away.

My mom, sister, and I will probably spend the rest of our days wondering if the outcome might have been different if normal post-surgery protocols had been in place. It's hard to not think that he might have had a better chance if he was under direct care during the week or two after surgery; rather than "virtual medicine".
    I'm sorry for your loss.

My mother has a heart condition and there's the possibility that she'll be having open heart surgery in the coming year. Really frightening. And I'm terrified she'll catch COVID-19 at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss.

My mother has a heart condition and there's the possibility that she'll be having open heart surgery in the coming year. Really frightening. And I'm terrified she'll catch COVID-19 at some point.
    Thanks Joker and David; I appreciate the thoughts.

David. I am wishing all the best for your mother and you in the days ahead. Peace.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'm sorry, Java. Sympathies to you and your family.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Thanks Joker and David; I appreciate the thoughts.

David. I am wishing all the best for your mother and you in the days ahead. Peace.
    Thanks. Peace to you and yours also. Stay well.

Pretty much feels as if nothing happened here were i live.

People are back to their jobs, everything's open and you can barely see a mask around now.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Very sorry, Javasaurus.