Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

We miss this year so that we can all have more years.
    I wish more people would treat this as the national crisis it is and not gripe about missing an annual family gathering. (not here, but the public in general) We have lost more people in 9 months than the first 2 years of WWII, and half the population just moans about missing Thanksgiving, or ignores the grave danger.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Spectacular Member

it's too big a number people can't wrap their minds around it. WGN has started posting articles about some of the victims and I think it's a good way to put a face on the total.

It's not that it's too big a number. It's that it's too spread out. We could wrap our minds around 9/11 because there were so many deaths all in one place. Plus there was a lot of property destruction as well. It was right there on the news every day for several weeks. Now we only have talking heads telling us how many people have died from the corona virus, so maybe posting articles with pictures of the people who have the virus just might make it real for more of us.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    We miss this year so that we can all have more years.
    I wish more people would treat this as the national crisis it is and not gripe about missing an annual family gathering. (not here, but the public in general) We have lost more people in 9 months than the first 2 years of WWII, and half the population just moans about missing Thanksgiving, or ignores the grave danger.
    Here in UK already a lot of angst about Christmas.

Main impact on me has been curtailing foreign travel...my grand-daughter lives abroad..and I usually spend a couple of weeks with her this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    It's not that it's too big a number. It's that it's too spread out. We could wrap our minds around 9/11 because there were so many deaths all in one place. Plus there was a lot of property destruction as well. It was right there on the news every day for several weeks. Now we only have talking heads telling us how many people have died from the corona virus, so maybe posting articles with pictures of the people who have the virus just might make it real for more of us.
    Politely disagree.

On some level, folks have accepted that disease has the potential to kill. Swine Flu killed thousands in the U.S. Did anyone really lose their cool? Make any serious changes in their day to day?

Work toward making the best of minimizing damage, and potentially develop a vaccine. Been the accepted approach for ages now.

Terrorism?

No one has ever just decided that "X" amount of deaths from terrorism is the nature of things.

Just kinda "Apple..."/"Orange..."

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Politely disagree.

On some level, folks have accepted that disease has the potential to kill. Swine Flu killed thousands in the U.S. Did anyone really lose their cool? Make any serious changes in their day to day?

Work toward making the best of minimizing damage, and potentially develop a vaccine. Been the accepted approach for ages now.

Terrorism?

No one has ever just decided that "X" amount of deaths from terrorism is the nature of things.

You say swine flu killed thousands? Covid 19 has killed hundreds of thousands. It's a lot more contagious than the swine flu.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Parts of my area are going to start going under stricter restrictions in the near future. I’m currently waiting on a full list of zip codes as I really don’t want to lose income from my school district shutting down. I’m having a really good semester substituting so that mixed with the loss of income is a really frustrating prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Politely disagree.

Terrorism?

Do you enjoy spouting Right Wing talking points?

Swine Flu had 12,000 deaths, you are comparing that the the over 300,000 we will lose to COVID, mainly due to the incompetence of the Trump Administration and his loyal GOP followers.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    You say swine flu killed thousands? Covid 19 has killed hundreds of thousands. It's a lot more contagious than the swine flu.
    There were a couple of recent flu seasons that killed tens of thousands.

That Covid-19 is more likely to kill folks?

That's not going to really change the mindset(particularly the American version of that mindset...) that disease killing folks is just the nature of things. Which is different than terrorist attacks killing folks being the nature of things.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 11-23-2020 at 03:01 PM.

So "it is what it is", huh? Except it wasn't the nature of things in countries with competent leaders. Or with out science denying MAGATS.

Well, in little ways it affects me every day. Mask-wearing, thinking about being distant from people, avoiding crowds etc. To me that is pretty minor inconvenience at worst. But there is one big way it has affected me - friends I knew have died, or moved away, and I never got to see them or say goodbye beforehand because of the virus.

The practical goal here, of the masks and so on, still is to not overwhelm hospitals. The virus is going exactly nowhere. Its not going to just vanish someday or be eradicated by a vaccine or all the social distancing, masks, curfews, etc. we can muster. Ultimately we also all have the humanitarian goal of slowing its spread, saving as many as we can and being responsible rather than cruel or selfish about it.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-23-2020 at 03:20 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So "it is what it is", huh? Except it wasn't the nature of things in countries with competent leaders. Or with out science denying MAGATS.
    Not that so much as "Apple..."/"Orange..."

There was enough agreement on terrorism that no one really bristled at pretty wholesale changes to how Americans travel by air.

On Covid-19? That sort of a consensus just does not appear to be there when it comes to potentially lethal diseases.

Heck, not even just Covid-19.

Plenty of "Anti-" vaccine folks when it comes to vaccinations that keep nearly wiped out diseases at bay. Folks that won't even get a flu shot when a season kills tens of thousands(though that specific vaccination gets a bit more complicated...)

Back to Covid-19, there are plenty of folks that still want schools open and their sports programs at one hundred percent.

It's just a totally different point of view than how folks see deaths from terrorist attacks.

Well covid has affected me because now I'm unemployed,,, i can no longer hang out with friends either.

For being honest it really has not affecting me a lot so far. I work just the same and thanks to my job i can go around as i please.

Some people around me were infected but tanks the giant space turtle who carries us all on its back it so far never turned out to be a big deal for any of them.

Let's just hold a bit longer guys, that nasty business will be over in 21, turtle willing.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

it's affecting me because my mom tested positive yesterday (Tuesday) and since I was at her and dad's house, dad, my brother Chris and I all had to get tested.

Dad was negative. Chris and I are positive.

Now I'm tracking the days on my calendar, monitoring my symptoms, taking cold and flu pills and Zicam, and keeping myself hydrated.

right now, we all have very mild symptoms.....foggy feeling like when you have a head cold, mom has some aches, I have a mild fever and a very mild scratchy throat (not sore) that comes and goes.