Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344 LastLast
Results 631 to 645 of 655
  1. #631
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    16,729

    Default

    Restaurants are now allowed to open to 50% capacity here.

  2. #632
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    12,180

    Default

    I'm getting my first dose of the Moderna vaccine tomorrow morning. Nevada announced that the 2nd group was eligible and that includes me (my factory has a few lines that produce medical packaging) but not my wife. Sadly, 6 out of the 8 people I was in line with while clocking out didn't want to take the shots, although 1 would do so if it was the J&J vaccine, as he is distrustful of the new technology. My city has a little over 20000 people in it with maybe another 5000 in the outlying area, and we have a little over 1250 cases already, but thankfully only 25 deaths (and Mesquite can be described as a city-sized retirement home with a median age of 60).
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 03-03-2021 at 03:20 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

  3. #633
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,955

    Default

    In all the time that the vaccinations have been rolling out, have there been any deaths from the vaccines?

    I can understand a little healthy caution, but I don't see why reasonable people are choosing not to get the shot. If I could get it, I'd be getting it this instant. I can't because our province doesn't have enough supply and so it will be months before I have a chance of just getting on the waiting list.
    🇨🇦
    [Exit, pursued
    by a bear.

  4. #634
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    23,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In all the time that the vaccinations have been rolling out, have there been any deaths from the vaccines?

    I can understand a little healthy caution, but I don't see why reasonable people are choosing not to get the shot. If I could get it, I'd be getting it this instant. I can't because our province doesn't have enough supply and so it will be months before I have a chance of just getting on the waiting list.
    I've heard of people getting sick from the vaccine, but nothing serious, and, so far, no deaths. As a perfectly healthy 62 year old, it could be June or July before I'm finally eligible for a shot. And, for the record, I don't give a damn which one I get.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  5. #635
    Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Essex County, NJ
    Posts
    2,013

    Default

    I know a few people who have said they're not getting the vaccine.

    I will be there as soon as I can.

  6. #636
    Extraordinary Member Deathstroke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    I know a few people who have said they're not getting the vaccine.

    I will be there as soon as I can.
    A co-worker of mine, who regularly talks about how he hates the government (no matter who's in power), has said he won't be getting the vaccine. It will be interesting to see how that goes over worldwide if it becomes a situation where you can't go places if you don't get the vaccine. Plus, for a myriad of reasons, my co-worker is an outright blithering fool.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

    Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

    "I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

  7. #637
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,471

    Default

    I got tested for COVID on Monday, just got the results back this morning and they came back Negative. I didn't think I had it, but my doctor wanted me to be tested anyway, just to be on the safe side.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

  8. #638
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    23,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I got tested for COVID on Monday, just got the results back this morning and they came back Negative. I didn't think I had it, but my doctor wanted me to be tested anyway, just to be on the safe side.
    Good for you, Tami!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  9. #639
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I got tested for COVID on Monday, just got the results back this morning and they came back Negative. I didn't think I had it, but my doctor wanted me to be tested anyway, just to be on the safe side.
    Just be aware that the false negative rate for the test in 25% to 30%. The positive results are largely accurate, but even with a negative result, keep monitoring yourself.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  10. #640
    Fantastic Member CaptainEurope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In all the time that the vaccinations have been rolling out, have there been any deaths from the vaccines?

    I can understand a little healthy caution, but I don't see why reasonable people are choosing not to get the shot. If I could get it, I'd be getting it this instant. I can't because our province doesn't have enough supply and so it will be months before I have a chance of just getting on the waiting list.
    As they started with the oldest and most frail, of course not everybody out of tens of thousands was still alive two or three weeks after the vaccination. Some of them were over 100 years old. Crackpots on the internet are of course saying the vaccine killed those folks, but it's not true.

  11. #641
    iMan 42s
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,577

    Default

    Interesting issue here being that this has started to affect the world of cosplay as the price of ABS plastic has gone up. The material is used in the creation of certain props and hard armor but with it being used in covid preventative materials like masks or possibly in ventilators it's caused a rise in price. As a result some companies have stopped offering certain products or have raised prices.

    It will be interesting to note if 3d Printing will take even greater heights. The home usage of them has enabled things to be built (even outside cosplay) fairly quickly and on a budget without the need of ABS. Commonly PLA or PETG has been in usage over ABS due to how finnicky it can be to print. So it will be interesting in how this affects the production of homemade costumes and even television production given the production of props.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

  12. #642
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    12,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Interesting issue here being that this has started to affect the world of cosplay as the price of ABS plastic has gone up. The material is used in the creation of certain props and hard armor but with it being used in covid preventative materials like masks or possibly in ventilators it's caused a rise in price. As a result some companies have stopped offering certain products or have raised prices.

    It will be interesting to note if 3d Printing will take even greater heights. The home usage of them has enabled things to be built (even outside cosplay) fairly quickly and on a budget without the need of ABS. Commonly PLA or PETG has been in usage over ABS due to how finnicky it can be to print. So it will be interesting in how this affects the production of homemade costumes and even television production given the production of props.
    I work in a plastics factory and we currently have lines shut down despite having orders to fill due to the ABS shortage. Before that we were running some of the worst recycled plastic I have ever seen because my company was willing to take nearly anything as long as it was ABS to fill the orders.

    I am currently on the 15 minute post vaccine wait to ensure no negative effects have arisen from the first shot. My second dose is on the 1st of April.
    Dark does not mean deep.

  13. #643
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Just be aware that the false negative rate for the test in 25% to 30%. The positive results are largely accurate, but even with a negative result, keep monitoring yourself.
    I know, but I'm not really high risk for catching it. I work from home and rarely go anywhere where there are other people except for food shopping. My husband and I joke about living the life of hermits. I thought I was coming down with something that felt like a cold, but it turned out to be a sinus infection.

    I haven't gone this long in years without coming down with anything like a cold, flu, or whatever at least once a year.

    One of the benefits of near-extreme social distancing I guess.

    Just need to hang on for a few more months, by Summer everyone in the US should be getting the vaccine [if they want it].
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

  14. #644
    Astonishing Member JackDaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    As they started with the oldest and most frail, of course not everybody out of tens of thousands was still alive two or three weeks after the vaccination. Some of them were over 100 years old. Crackpots on the internet are of course saying the vaccine killed those folks, but it's not true.
    Yes.

    All the vaccines authorised for use in UK have been used on millions of people now. Basically they are all working pretty well...protection from the virus is pretty good from just the first shot, and itís reducing virus transmission as well. Take up is very high...94 percent of people offered vaccination take up the offer. And nobody I know cares which vaccine is used...public confidence is high in all the authorised ones.

    I got the Oxford Astra Zeneca jab a couple of weeks ago. Got some of the known side effects (mild flu symptoms) and would advise anybody taking jab to take some paracetamol tablets to avoid this slight discomfort. Will be very glad when second dose goes in my arm.

  15. #645
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,955

    Default

    My friend in Austria sent me a video on Whatsapp where some German lady goes on an anti-vaccine diatribe--I wasn't listening too close, because I knew where this was going. So my Austrian friend doesn't want to get the vaccine. Usually, I leave these topics alone, for the sake of our friendship. However, I feel morally that I should make an effort to counter this stupidity, given the danger to my friend and everyone else.

    I've been trying to think of an effective response that won't destroy the friendship and won't come off as patronizing. But nothing I can come up with yet is the kind of argument that would actually change my friend's mind. My friend would just think I was one of those people who don't know the truth.
    🇨🇦
    [Exit, pursued
    by a bear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •