Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    On Wednesday, Texas hit a record with over 5,500 cases in one day. So yeah, things are getting scary again. We seemed to be on a good trend back in April; but those gains are lost now. Governor Abott certainly didn't help the situation by overriding local government efforts when he decided it was time to reopen the state.

When this thread began in March, I mentioned that my dad was in the hospital for surgery; and how the hospital was extremely strict with who was and wasn't allowed in the front door due to COVID-19 precautions. Two days after the cardiac bypass procedure; the hospital decided that is was too much of a risk to place him directly in a post-surgery step down unit. They decided it was less-risky to just discharge him and send him home until conditions were safer. Sadly, there were complications that surfaced after going home. His blood pressure was wildly unstable; making him dizzy to the point where he fell and broke his nose. After that incident, he began to decline even more; to the point where his primary care physician ordered hospice care. He just went downhill from there; and on Memorial day, he passed away.

My mom, sister, and I will probably spend the rest of our days wondering if the outcome might have been different if normal post-surgery protocols had been in place. It's hard to not think that he might have had a better chance if he was under direct care during the week or two after surgery; rather than "virtual medicine".
    Sorry for your loss.

So sorry, Java.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Looks like some of us will be going back to normal-ish hrs ( part time plus) next week. Although most of will be still doing them from home.

I went to a popular national sandwich chain a little while ago. When the manager saw me wearing my mask, he started teasing me saying, "Don't you know that Corona is over?!" Now he and his employee were wearing masks and he still had plastic separating the food from the customers and still had the social distancing markers up. He laughed and started telling about how customers have been coming in with no masks and actually been angry with him because he's still following the local guidelines that are in fact still in place. We had a short discussion about how some folks think the pandemic is over despite in some areas outbreaks are surging.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    On Wednesday, Texas hit a record with over 5,500 cases in one day. So yeah, things are getting scary again. We seemed to be on a good trend back in April; but those gains are lost now. Governor Abott certainly didn't help the situation by overriding local government efforts when he decided it was time to reopen the state.

When this thread began in March, I mentioned that my dad was in the hospital for surgery; and how the hospital was extremely strict with who was and wasn't allowed in the front door due to COVID-19 precautions. Two days after the cardiac bypass procedure; the hospital decided that is was too much of a risk to place him directly in a post-surgery step down unit. They decided it was less-risky to just discharge him and send him home until conditions were safer. Sadly, there were complications that surfaced after going home. His blood pressure was wildly unstable; making him dizzy to the point where he fell and broke his nose. After that incident, he began to decline even more; to the point where his primary care physician ordered hospice care. He just went downhill from there; and on Memorial day, he passed away.

My mom, sister, and I will probably spend the rest of our days wondering if the outcome might have been different if normal post-surgery protocols had been in place. It's hard to not think that he might have had a better chance if he was under direct care during the week or two after surgery; rather than "virtual medicine".
    My deepest, most heartfelt condolences to you & your loved ones for this most painful loss, Javasaurus.

Thank you for your condolences WestPhillyPunisher, Captain Europe, ed2962, Kirby 101, CFB. The people here in the CBR forums have made it an oasis of sorts, in the middle of strange days.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Ultimate Member

The tattoo shop in my neighborhood re-opened.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    We (Texas) are now required to wear masks in public buildings and out door gatherings.

Except for a VERY few people-everyone here was already doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Just gotta say...

The entire approach that Illinois is taking feels like someone grabbed a person that was about to step out into traffic and pulled them back onto the curb/that person just got their butt saved just said a quick "Hey, thanks..." before heading across the street without even looking both ways.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Masks are mandatory in Pennsylvania for anyone over the age of six. I was in downtown Philly yesterday, and I'd say only 75 percent of the people I saw wore masks, that's not good, the numbers should be higher than that.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I'm on 12 hour shifts next week (and was also on them last week) since the father of one of my department co-workers was apparently diagnosed with COVID. This also happened when the other inspector on his shift was on vacation for 2 weeks. The overtime will be nice, earning it will suck, but thankfully I'm not the one out with a sick family member.

We've also mandated masks on the job, at least when within 6 ft of someone. They gave us a tube facemask that bunches up on the neck - to wear inside a plastics factory in the desert. I'm wearing a different one I bought in the store since the one they gave us seems more like an itch-causing torture device. It's hard to do anything other than scratch wearing it...."Kill you, Midoriya!"
    Dark does not mean deep.

I've seen some others mention that they are essential employees. I'm one too, and in response to the pandemic they've switched all of us to 12 hour shifts and reduced the minimum staffing to decrease the number of people in the room at one time. Working 12 hours takes a serious physical toll on the body and most employees are not happy. We also have to wear face masks when in transit from our positions. However, I'm grateful to still be employed considering the current state of the country, and collecting overtime on top of it...

In my personal life, I agreed to limit visiting my mother until I get tested as she has underlying conditions and I'm still around other people at my job. It's unfortunate having to limit seeing my own family, but I understand the reasoning.

Today in England we have the reopening of pubs, restaurants and cinemas - with physical distancing in place.

I love going out for a pint and eating out but personally, I think it's just too soon to lift restrictions, so it'll be a while before I venture into any of those venues.

Just had a huge falling out with my cousin over masks. I had been building for months, but it still hurts.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    We (Texas) are now required to wear masks in public buildings and out door gatherings.

Except for a VERY few people-everyone here was already doing it.
    NV too but some people refuse to. A Wal-Mart greeter told me Wal-Mart has a policy to not prevent maskless people from entering so sometimes you'll see someone without a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    NV too but some people refuse to. A Wal-Mart greeter told me Wal-Mart has a policy to not prevent maskless people from entering so sometimes you'll see someone without a mask.
    I live on the Nevada side of the Arizona Strip, so I can't comment on whether or not the way things are at my local Walmart are how the rest of the state is acting. I'm rather close to the Branch Dildonians, at least on a map.
    Dark does not mean deep.