Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    I quickly found other hobbies to take up my time/$$. I suspect so will others.
    I signed up for Netflix's free 30 days.
    I found TUBI with a ton of free movies and LOL the most watched one is Little man from the Wayans.
    I am doing Comixology for 60 days free.
    I do live chat on some youtubers who do movie premieres. Lots of classic films from 30s-50s.

And it seems we might not be going back to school this year. They axed everything for April.

We got two months left. I would say call off the rest of the year of going back. The only downside is we have to change our passwords on a campus. If we don't go back before July- I know I am going to be locked out.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Lol! I spelled it CONVID. I think its because of the politicians. Yeah, nothing to worry about... COVID will be a breeze.

BANNED

No it won't. People are going to die. In the US, it has already been widely reported that no, the virus is not under control, and yes we will see a surge of cases and deaths in the next few weeks, even with isolation and social distancing. It is unavoidable. If the isolation and social distancing continue, it will be possible to flatten the curve. But that doesn't even mean we're going to be eradicating the virus...just the amount of cases.

It is good to be hopeful and optimistic. But we can't be saying stuff like "things will go back to normal" and "this is all just going to blow over" they will not and it isn't. That doesn't mean we should be panicking, but if we can't be aware of these things all we're doing is letting each other down. Prepare for the worst and take care of yourselves and your families. And hopefully by summertime we can hang out with our friends again.

edit: including helpful video link
    Last edited by Elmo; 04-06-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    You bet, that's a very good opportinuty for people to do those things they always wanted to do but never had the time. Like drawing, playing guitar, chainsaw fencing.

They key of a happy life is your own capacity to find something good out of something bad.
    Yep. I bough new guitar strings and picks. Haven't played my six string in nearly 3 years, so I'm excited to pick that up again. I've been teaching myself some card tricks and I finally loaded a couple of video games on to the PS4 I've been meaning to get to. That's all on top of reading the comics I already have and school work.

You bet, that's a very good opportinuty for people to do those things they always wanted to do but never had the time. Like drawing, playing guitar, chainsaw fencing.

They key of a happy life is your own capacity to find something good out of something bad.
    Can you truly practice social distancing while chainsaw fencing? Remember during a pandemic we use range weapons not melee.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This must be said. The Republican Congress has tried to kill the USPS...
    USPS is a incredible case of conflicting requirements. Gov wants it run as a business, but Gov forbids it from making healthy business decisions, such as consolidating offices rather than requiring each zip to have its own. I don't mind viewing USPS, or Amtrak for that matter, as tax-supported services, because they're valuable. But lets be honest with ourselves about what we're talking about here.

Returning to the point of this thread:
    Life in my rural university town seems to be normalizing, even as we go to tighter rules. Our State Pols are calling it Shelter In Place, but it's really just moderate-to-stringent Social Distancing practices.

Most restaurants continue operating on short staff, offering curbside pickup services, and delivery through a local grub-hub type business. As long as they are allowed, I'll continue to patronize one of them every day, and my beloved coffee shop every day, in hopes of helping them get by. I know it's not the best pandemic practice, but some of these people need to eat and pay rent, and our state will not do what it would take to protect small, modest-income individuals.

We are fortunate that we have such a large percentage of our population on the university's payroll. I shudder to think what it must be like in one of our sister communities, which is about our size, but is a 1-factory town.

The grocery stores are still a bit spare, but the ravaging horde behavior has abated. Preferred brands and sizes may be missing from any given visit, but you can generally find some version of what you need. I can't decide if hoarders are out storage space, or if they have gained confidence that the supply chain will keep providing enough for them to get by.

One of the things that has interested me the most is seeing children playing in the street as much as they are. They're almost like a smaller, less-tattooed, bicycle version of a Mad Maxian desert gang. I suppose with school and organized sports off, even video gaming can prevent being in their houses from becoming oppressive for only so long. They should be isolating more stringently, but I can see how parents eventually come to a point of wanting a bit of quiet for themselves.

The thing that troubles me most is that a sense of detachment that is settling over me. I'm struggling to remind myself of the importance of my work, even though I've counseled others to keep at it as a self-assurance that this will pass and life will go on. I can't escape this feeling of being somehow, outside of time and the world around me. I guess I never realized how much I depended on the goings on of my little life to help me formulate some sense of purpose.

All of that tho is to say we are very lucky. While our cases are climbing, and our county has just seen its first death, we have not been hit with a fraction of the force visited on some of our great cities. So I need to pull my **** together and get back to being useful.

I hope those of you in the epicenters of this nightmare continue to be safe and well. God bless.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post

Can you truly practice social distancing while chainsaw fencing? Remember during a pandemic we use range weapons not melee.
    LOL! Yeah, you're going to want more like 3 or 4 meters just to offset the infection risk from blood spatter!

PS: Thanks Moon Ronin and Starter Set. You really boosted my mood.

Ultimate Member

My cousin is back home yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    With all these businesses shutting down, USPS isn't making money and they aren't getting a dime from the stimulus check. USPS says they'll run out of money by June.
    I knew we would end up in an apocalypse movie, I just never would have guessed it to be The Postman.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Wish you luck as well. If you get it... its not the Black Death, you'll survive
    So far, our luck has held up. Our neighbor tested negative. However, at my job, they've now made it mandatory for us to wear masks. Just makes it a little scarier than it already is.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Bow fencing is vastly overrated in my experience.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I knew we would end up in an apocalypse movie, I just never would have guessed it to be The Postman.
    I like Postman quite a bit. Better than The Stand

Perfection

@DrNewGod
    Thanx for your 2 last posts. Hope you survive us all
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-08-2020 at 02:30 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I like Postman quite a bit. Better than The Stand
    Pfft! I prefer The Stand myself.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Pfft! I prefer The Stand myself.
    I actually worked with a Randy Flagg when I was in construction. And yes, the guy was from Maine.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I actually worked with a Randy Flagg when I was in construction. And yes, the guy was from Maine.
    Cue the theme from The Twilight Zone!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!