Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by spm@n View Post
    I miss going to college. I'm stuck studying at home for the rest of the semester.
    It's the worst. I'm in grad school and took all online classes last semester and hated it. I switched to mostly in person for this semester and now we're back to online.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    It's the worst. I'm in grad school and took all online classes last semester and hated it. I switched to mostly in person for this semester and now we're back to online.
    All of the teaching at my university has also become online as far as I can tell. I mentor a masters student and he was depending on his upcoming practical lab project to help him get into a PhD because he has very little practical experience. Now, all of the masters projects have been converted to dry projects and I feel really sorry for him
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

The biggest pain about being stuck inside is having to listen to my aunt's ever changing theory on whee the virus came from. The first was that China let this spread so they could wreck the world economy and take over. The second was that it was created by liberals and illegal Mexicans as a way to kill Trump. The she changed her mind again and said it was created by Sanders in an attempt to push healthcare for all and get elected president. Now some nut job on Fox news said that he thinks this was created in a lab for some unknown entity to create a new world order. She is of course jumping all over this.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I still have my job, but more and more people at my company have been furloughed.

I am curious about how furlough works, though. It is my understanding that furloughing is a temporary, but involuntary, leave of absence for employees. I'm not quite sure how it's different from being "laid off" either.

Anyway, if you are still technically employed by the company while on furlough (and some companies continue to pay employee health benefits), then are furloughed employees eligible for unemployment? If so, why? Is this always the case, or is this a special COVID-19 provision that allows furloughed employees to collect unemployment?

Also, with the regulations as they are right now, is there a difference in how much you get from unemployment if you are fired because of the virus vs. being furloughed because of the virus?

Probably depends on your state. But basically everyone is eligible these days.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    From what I have read on the news fact checkers you aren't required to pay back the excess. So while I won't be getting a tax return next year, the additional money is mine. So how much is free money depends on how your federal taxes look each year.
    Not sure what NV law says but some states have partial unemployment.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spm@n View Post
    I miss going to college. I'm stuck studying at home for the rest of the semester.
    All of the teaching at my university has also become online as far as I can tell. I mentor a masters student and he was depending on his upcoming practical lab project to help him get into a PhD because he has very little practical experience. Now, all of the masters projects have been converted to dry projects and I feel really sorry for him
    I can't speak for all professors, but I hate it too. And I'm an introvert.

My instructional style is highly Socratic and activity-based. Switching to online has been like trying to thread a needle with my non-dominant hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I still have my job, but more and more people at my company have been furloughed.

I am curious about how furlough works, though. It is my understanding that furloughing is a temporary, but involuntary, leave of absence for employees. I'm not quite sure how it's different from being "laid off" either.

Anyway, if you are still technically employed by the company while on furlough (and some companies continue to pay employee health benefits), then are furloughed employees eligible for unemployment? If so, why? Is this always the case, or is this a special COVID-19 provision that allows furloughed employees to collect unemployment?

Also, with the regulations as they are right now, is there a difference in how much you get from unemployment if you are fired because of the virus vs. being furloughed because of the virus?
    As was said it depends entirely on the state. Regarding the difference between Furloughed/laid off as I understand them, Furloughed is more of a guarantee/expectation of coming back once the situation resolves itself, laid off is more of a possibility of returning but no guarantee. In my state at least both are fully eligible for full unemployment benefits, provided you aren't being paid by the company (keeping health benefits aren't counted as payment) as it is a loss of wages through no fault of your own.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

It's called Standby. You're still employed by your employer, but your job is not there to be worked right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It's called Standby. You're still employed by your employer, but your job is not there to be worked right now.
    Right. This sometimes happens for specific businesses, if say, there's a fire that severely damages the building, so you can't work until the building is repaired. If your employer is not paying you during the shutdown, you can apply for unemployment.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    It's not necessarily laziness. It's that ramen noodles will keep a lot longer than, say meat or fresh vegetables. So you can stock up and it will last for weeks if you don't, you know, gorge yourself on it.
    What I find funny is that stuff like spaghetti and other boxed pasta can last a long time too, but they're passing that stuff by to hoard the ramen!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The biggest pain about being stuck inside is having to listen to my aunt's ever changing theory on whee the virus came from. The first was that China let this spread so they could wreck the world economy and take over. The second was that it was created by liberals and illegal Mexicans as a way to kill Trump. The she changed her mind again and said it was created by Sanders in an attempt to push healthcare for all and get elected president. Now some nut job on Fox news said that he thinks this was created in a lab for some unknown entity to create a new world order. She is of course jumping all over this.
    So...the Mexicans thought the most effective way to kill Trump is to kill thousands of Chinese and Europeans first, then bring the disease to American and kill random people here and just sort of hope that Trump will somehow get infected?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    What I find funny is that stuff like spaghetti and other boxed pasta can last a long time too, but they're passing that stuff by to hoard the ramen!
    Not here. Pasta hasn't been unavailable, but it's been slim pickins.

Getting ready to go out, I need to pick something up. Starting to get a little agoraphobic, plus, I don't really like wearing masks.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Not here. The pasta shelves at my local supermarket have been sparse, ditto for rice.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!