Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

I am pretty happy. My dad's and my stimulus are pending. We are going to get them on Wednesday. I will at last be able to catch up on back bills.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I am pretty happy. My dad's and my stimulus are pending. We are going to get them on Wednesday. I will at last be able to catch up on back bills.
    Good to hear.

On my end I am actually working 4 or maybe even 5 days this week as my job has changed how they are doing the shifts - I'll be off all of next week but will be able to file for unemployment for the week, then I'll be back at work for another 4-5 days again. They realized that working only 3 days was keeping people right at the unemployment cutoff and hurting the ability to keep up on bills. They are also making the employee contribution to our health coverage during our off week as well, so that will be a big help.

Why, no, my employer is not a publicly traded company. Why do you ask?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Well, I'm glad to report that I've been very lucky so far.

No friends or family affected so far.
    Still have a job.
    Got groceries and enough toilet paper to get by.
    Able to work from home and like it.
    My company's income does not look to be diminished this quarter.
    So, on paper, everything's going pretty good.

And yet, I've never in my life felt such existential worry, stress, and fear.

That's been the biggest impacts COVID-19 has left on my life.
    It's consuming me, everyday. I was born overly-cautious.
    Shortly after I entered college, the September 11 attacks happened.
    Shortly after I graduated, the Great Recession happened.
    And now this.

I may never take another risk again.(kidding)

These negative feelings are compounded by people's responses to this crisis.
    The appropriate responses, the ones that recognize the grim reality of the situation, and still manage to give you hope to finish your day, are an absolute god-send.
    (I'm looking at you, SGN).

But the inappropriate, down-right flippant responses just make you want to give up on humanity.

My state is en-route to reopening.
    One of first states to reopen, one of the most populous states in the U.S., and one of the worst for testing.

The purpose of the restrictions was to flatten the curve, and keep our hospitals from being overwhelmed. We've done that.
    Ok.

All in all, Stupidity is at its best when it only affects the perpetrator and not innocent people.
    God, I hope I'm the stupid one.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

One thing I do that is probably unhealthy is check the new infection numbers for Germany daily.

Today it was good news, as the daily known new infections slipped below 1000 for the first time since mid March, when a lot less testing was done and we missed a lot more cases. At the same time, the governor of my state (Rhineland and Westphalia) has opened schools and businesses a little faster than experts (and Merkel) wanted, so I am worried about a second wave.

Well, this is it, back on business on Mai the 11th here in France. Kinda lol. We are asked to stay in our regions though, in order to avoid further contamination and pubs, restaurant and the sort can't open yet but still...that's something.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Well, this is it, back on business on Mai the 11th here in France. Kinda lol. We are asked to stay in our regions though, in order to avoid further contamination and pubs, restaurant and the sort can't open yet but still...that's something.
    Est-ce vrai? That's come a lot sooner than I expected it to. I'll have to ring my Dad up and let him know. He lives in Tarn-Et-Garonne which tends to be quiet at the best of times.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Oh c'est vrai oui lol. Lot of rules though so it's not full freedom yet but just a start.

Invincible Member

Still haven't gotten my unemployment but I did just receive a delayed check from my job for my last two days of work.

Massachusetts announced a two week extension to the stay at home advisory and non-essential business shutdown orders. The next date for possibly reopening the state is now May 18th.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

So my daughter, who is also a college student, was on unemployment for 3 weeks collecting roughly 187 a week from the state. Her normal weekly income was about 300 a week before taxes ($10 / hr for 30 hrs a week). Today she got her federal unemployment of $1800 for those three weeks which meant her income those three weeks went up 2.5 times (almost $800 a week now vs her prior $300 a week). She literally said she wishes this would go on now since she's making so much more money being off work and she's sad that her store is reopening along with most of our state come May 1st.

And that folks is why handouts and basic income will always fail. It makes people lazy and not want to work.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    So my daughter, who is also a college student, was on unemployment for 3 weeks collecting roughly 187 a week from the state. Her normal weekly income was about 300 a week before taxes ($10 / hr for 30 hrs a week). Today she got her federal unemployment of $1800 for those three weeks which meant her income those three weeks went up 2.5 times (almost $800 a week now vs her prior $300 a week). She literally said she wishes this would go on now since she's making so much more money being off work and she's sad that her store is reopening along with most of our state come May 1st.

And that folks is why handouts and basic income will always fail. It makes people lazy and not want to work.
    That all depends on the person and the circumstances. I would much rather get back to work relatively quickly - but then I haven't yet received my first unemployment check (and can't even apply for it for another 12 days) and even then it will only be about as much as I would make with a single shift of overtime. I can't imagine how bored I would be if I had to stay at home for a month straight - I start getting stir crazy when I visit my parents over the Christmas shutdown and that's only 2 weeks with the first one involving people I only see 3 or 4 times a year at most.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post

Your daughter is a college student... she doesn't speak for the rest of us. I would give just about anything to be back at work right now.

Your daughter has a shitty job making shitty pay. Ten. Dollars. An Hour.

It's not making her lazy. It's making her not want to go back to working for garbage pay.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Your daughter is a college student... she doesn't speak for the rest of us. I would give just about anything to be back at work right now.
    But her story is one I have heard from MANY.

Both my parents worked.

Mom-a newborn nurse for 30+ years and 10+ years at daycare. Retired (BEFORE her health issues started 2-3 years later). Decided to see what she could get from food stamps. $15 a month.
    Dad-worked for Macy (under it's old name Sanger Harris) and later for the owner of a company that delivered something called Coors Light to stores until the owner died. Retired. He tried and was offered $20.

Now 2 folks who worked, paid off a house, paid off 3 cars and put 2 kids through college. Only got $35 for food stamps.

Step Dad-daughters did limited work and welfare does enough for them to NOT have to work. While having 10 kids between them. They work when they want to.

That is why folks have issues with handouts. Too many folks not doing anything and getting stuff while those who do and need SOME help-get nothing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Your daughter has a shitty job making shitty pay. Ten. Dollars. An Hour.

It's not making her lazy. It's making her not want to go back to working for garbage pay.

Actually there are folks in the school system that make that. And not in small school districts either.

Up those hours to 40 and she's making Clerk money in my school district for a long time.