Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

It also looks like area hospitals have become strict about visitors.

My dad is having an open-heart procedure in the morning; and my mom is the only one who's allowed in to visit. Even then she is only allowed to be there short amounts of time; they are also asking her to leave the building while he's in surgery. She basically gets a call from a case manager when it's ok for her to enter the building. The rest of the family waits at home and gets news from her texts.

They are definitely strict; but I'm glad that they are taking precautions.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

BANNED

Hello as of today I am unemployed due to the response to covid19!

this has been nothing more than a power grab by the elite. in my city over 100 of the cases were linked to a biotech company conference that was attended by business leaders from all over the world. that conference is the reason countries like argentina have the virus now. it's hard not to focus on the conspiratorial side of things when you can see how an entire class of people are benefiting from a shut down economy and people not leaving their homes/states/countries/etc. It's sad because h1n1 killed over 12k people and I don't recall this level of response for that.

I'm worried about paying my rent. there are friends of mine who should be getting credits from their school because they can't attend for the semester and can't even stay in their housing. this has disrupted everyone so much particularly where I live. outside is like I Am Legend with how few people there are. I hope we don't have to live like this for years as some people are fearing.

Both my job an my wifes won't be affected as both are considered critical and no matter how bad it gets neither of us will be in danger of a layoff or losing our job. However we are both at high risk of catching it because of those same jobs but though we are 49 and 50 we are both in good health so we figure that even if we do get it we are safe. Our moms on the other hand are both in their 70's and lifelong smokers so we worry about their health if we catch it and infect them.

The only other way its affected me and this is a very 1st world type of problem is that we expect our cruise in mid May to be cancelled.

So the other day, the governor of New York issued an Executive Order that all non-essential workers should stay home and not report to work.

He said that this is the law, not a "helpful hint," and that there would be civil fines issued to people and government shutdowns of businesses who violate this order. Expect more layoffs and furloughs.

Of course, USA-wide, tax day is now July 15 instead of April 15, so there's that. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get pushed again further into the fall.

Have things changed in the last few days where you are?

I'm not sure yet how badly this will affect me and my husband. No major changes yet just a lot of small adjustments. Income is the biggest concern. That and I'm still trying to get health care coverage.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Retired

Vancouver (in British Columbia, Canada) is in a state of emergency declared by the mayor. Every place that is not essential is supposed to be locked down. Arenas, theatres, schools, libraries, playgrounds, bars, community centres are closed. However, the community centres are to be used as a refuge for the homeless--lots of homeless in Vancouver and they have no way to social distance. Bars are shut down, but cafes and restaurants can still do take out and delivery (no sit down service), while some are completely shuttered (I think all Starbuck's are closed now). Food stores and drug stores are still open as they're considered an essential service.

BC has the most cases and the most deaths in the country, especially in the Vancouver area where I live. Every morning, Prime Minister Trudeau comes out of his house in Ottawa to talk with the country. His wife, Sophie, has COVID-19 (she got it at a charity event in the UK, where Idris Elba may have got it from her). The whole Trudeau family is in self isolation. I find the PM quite calming, even if the news he reports is not. BC's Health Officer talks to the province on most afternoons (but not today, Sunday is her chance to take a break). She is Dr. Bonnie Henry and she is the most courageous, compassionate woman. Sometimes she chokes back the tears, but we all look to her for her kind and helpful words of advice.

It's been beautiful spring weather this past week. I like to go out for a walk around the block most days, but I have to keep my distance. Since I live in an Asian community, it's never unusual to see people wearing masks--although it probably isn't doing anyone any good and our hospitals could really use those masks. The supermarket has been stripped of all the necessities. So I debate with myself whether it's worth the risk to walk over to the supermarket, since I'm probaby not going to find anything there. The buses are now free, so I could go by bus to other places in search of things like eggs, but I don't feel safe riding the bus. Other than eggs and cooking oil, I have most things I will need for the next month--maybe longer if I ration.

While a lot of us have got the message to stay at home--there's still a significant number who are congregating in close quarters. It's worrying. Most of the deaths, thusfar, have been at senior care homes--one in particular in North Vancouver--and it's sobering that just one person from outside likely killed all those people through ignorance.

My allergies always act up in the spring--so I'm sneezing and rubbing my itchy eyes. But so far I don't have any flu symptoms. Keep washing your hands.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 03-22-2020 at 08:03 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I am newly in love and we can't see each other. Hearing the respond of the American government and how similar it is to German government... Too little. Too late. Maybe 8-4 weeks earlier it would have mattered. All the airports, trainstations and harbors were open too long

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Have things changed in the last few days where you are?
    we've been expecting a shelter in place to come into effect any day now, despite our mayor and governor saying otherwise. as of today we have almost 600 or more cases of the virus and 4 people have died in the past three days. this is a loose estimate though, it could very well be more than that, we've severely limited opportunities for testing. if you aren't over the age of 60 or have a compromised immune system, cardiovascular disease, some underlying health issue, you will be turned away from covid19 testing. at least that's what i'm hearing most of the time. younger people in mostly good health are determined not to qualify for some reason. I'm signing up for unemployment tonight.

edit: the biggest thing on everyone's mind here is wondering when the hell will they suspend rent and utilities. there's been talk about eviction moratoriums and such but nothing actually in place yet, which is ridiculous to me. I can make it this month for sure but next month, if this continues, no clue.
    Last edited by Elmo; 03-22-2020 at 04:27 PM.

My g/f's aunt, who lives across the road from us, had a slight fever a few days ago and got worried. Fortunately, there's a testing area in our part of upstate NY, where they will test anyone, as long as they can get an order from their primary physician. So my g/f's aunt got tested, and fortunately, the test was negative, but it was a few scary days for us.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Retired

I have friends who live in Austria near the Italian border--closest to the part of Italy where the outbreak has taken the most lives. And one of my friends has an underlying condition. So I worry about them. They are staying home in their small town amid the mountains. The stats for Austria are relatively low compared with the other countries around them--and Austria gives good social supports to its citizens. Still, I worry.

iMan 42s

Almost nothing has changed.

The only thing that has changed is the insanity at work where people are buying everything we have and us not being able to keep up. We actually had to explain to a customer that us closing early is so we can catch our breath. There's no shortage in our area that we are aware of but with a run on things occurring we simply can't stock our shelves. People are even trying to sneak into our warehouses and have stolen out of the bathrooms the toilet paper. When people come up to the counter they bring multiple eggs, milk, toilet paper, and bread despite the numerous and fairly large signs saying you can take one regardless of size or type. It's gotten that bad.

70 to 80 dollar purchases used to be a rarity on grocery but now it's commonplace and we have to limit how much of what people can buy at a time. I have to lie to people's face when we have something because our regulars can't get it. And don't tell me you're a regular when nobody has ever seen you before, you shop at Target an hour away, nobody has ever seen you and you don't even live in town. We have to guard the milk truck when it arrives and milk only has a ten day code. You're not stocking up for your family, you're just being an *******. The nerve of people thinking we're going to let them walk out with a case of disinfectant or eggs.
    Because of the run on things we can't get most of our orders. We can't get it because everybody is stocking hundreds of dollars with of stuff and will show up the next day to buy more. You're threatening lives by doing this and making our work harder as we can't restock the shelves due to the amount of people or not even having the product.

YOU CANNOT QUARANTINE IF YOU'RE AT THE FUCKING STORE EVERY GOD DAMNED DAY.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Food and supplies are really my concern as well as medications, any doc visits have to be phone from now on but the office has its own pharmacy too so I don't know how that will be done now as that's how I get my medicines. I'm sure they'll have a plan and won't leave us hanging. I don't have a car and I cant stock up on foods and I sometimes shop from home but can't do it too much because delivery fee plus tip can be too costly with my finances the way they are now and the person that decided to take me to do the heavy shopping outings instead of me taking the bus for everything cant do it any more so that makes it even more difficult. Also I don't want to overload the food delivery people either. I'm staying away from the bus because its too close quarters and usually packed. As I was walking to my doctors visit the bus had more people than I thought it would, though. Wonder how that's working out. The gas station with the mini food mart is within walking distance so its going to be less healthy eating and pricier, agh! But its good I have that. That's convenience, though... It could be worse I could be out in the boonies without currently having a car. its not as good as NY and Cali's metro transit but its better than other places in CT if it wasn't for this virus (a bit off topic) and as said I do have places within walking distance that I can even go to right now as it hasn't been as bad and this virus isn't as bad as other parts of the US and the world well, in comparison, not downplaying it. Also, good thing I just bought a three pack of water filters on special for my pitcher just before this exploded so I don't have to worry about lugging jugs of water or bottle water being sold out.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 03-22-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Thankfully I haven't been laid off at my plastics factory for two reasons - a couple of our lines run medical packaging, and we aren't open to the public anyways. Although the hit to the economy has reduced my hours - I seem to have every second Monday off, and it might become every single Monday shortly. I did have to reschedule my trip to Hawaii back to September, and it's a reschedule rather than a cancellation because I can only get credit for the tickets, not a refund.

Hours might get even more scarce as the automotive industry shuts down, but that's for another day.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Boisterously Confused

We're now at Social Distancing with takeout service and essential commerce only. There is a debate between standing here and going total lockdown. Absent rent and payroll protection, that's a gamble between who we consign to bankruptcy and who we consign to plague. If we were an urban center, id have a different opinion, but being rural, I think we stand pat.

Luckily I'm able to do maximum telework so I'v been able to work from home every day,and will be for the foreseeable future. My wife is on maternity leave for another month and school is cancelled until mid April so my two oldest are both home with both of us and the newborn.

We're able to get the groceries we need as long as we aren't overly selective. One major annoyance has been people raiding baby wipes now that the toilet paper supply has become an issue. No problem with diapers yet, but we picked up cloth diapers just in case.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum