Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Well I'm an actor, so it's basically destroyed my whole industry in the UK for anyone not A-list. No theatre jobs till probably 2021.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It stays ****** in a quote, too. Can't even tell what was said.
    I suspect it's the same word that was censored in the soccer thread just now. It starts with an 's' and can mean both actively following a sports team and also providing for ones family.

Pretty sure it's the same word. How odd.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Someone must be sabotaging the auto-censor. I mean, the only thing I can think of is that a jock strap is sometimes referred to as an athletic *******er. Could that be it?
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Someone must be sabotaging the auto-censor. I mean, the only thing I can think of is that a jock strap is sometimes referred to as an athletic *******er. Could that be it?
    God, I hope that is the reason now that you've said it
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Eh? Supporter? Support?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Eh? Supporter? Support?
    Yeah, it was support. It's obviously been fixed.

A consequence of coronavirus here in the UK has been the enormous upsurge of claimants to our Universal Credit benefit, a controversial benefit already prior to this. I've worked for the DWP (Department For Work & Pensions) before and might be again. A friend rang me this afternoon to see if I might want to join them again in an admin role as they are taking on staff as the Universal Credit department simply cannot cope with the demand right now. The only obstacle is the location. If it's too far away they'll be looking for someone that lives closer as they discourage long distance travel. I might be going back to the DWP through this.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Mighty Member

When you sleep what DREAMS are you having?

Mine are in a world without the virus where you can go places and see stuff. This morning I had one where I was out in a field and LOTS of planes appeared in the sky followed by lots of helicopters. It wasnt an emergency they were just out flying, a couple of the helicopters looked like shiny blue Lego helicopters with full size humans in them flying close to the ground.
    Another one I had a few days ago - my older brothers and I were at an amazing amusement park on a giant pendulum ride. Which is weird since my brothers and I never do anything together...

And YOU?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I never dream anything. I wish I would.

Retired

A dream I had last night was being back at the hospital, but I have those dreams several times a year. Another dream I often have is I'm back at my military unit, however I don't have my full uniform and I'm worried I'll get caught. A few weeks ago, the PM said that they would be recalling former armed forces personnel and I wondered if my dream would become a reality. But so far I haven't got a call.

If called, I would serve. And I might need to do some volunteer work of some kind, as that's one way to get federal assistance. At the moment, other than my housing subsidy, I don't qualify for any of the benefits being sent out.

My Grandad has been sick for a few weeks now (not with Covid), he really should have been in the hospital. But the hospital's locked down tight and is only taking worst of the worst cases because of the pandemic. Today he had a heart attack, so he's in the hospital now but it might be too late. And of course no one can get in to see him because the hospital is still locked down.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    My Grandad has been sick for a few weeks now (not with Covid), he really should have been in the hospital. But the hospital's locked down tight and is only taking worst of the worst cases because of the pandemic. Today he had a heart attack, so he's in the hospital now but it might be too late. And of course no one can get in to see him because the hospital is still locked down.
    While it's not much, fingers crossed.

Hope he is as well as he can be, and out of the hospital soon.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I am so sorry. Best wishes to your granddad, you and your family.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 05-01-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Hope your granddad gets well soon.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Yeah, it was support. It's obviously been fixed.

A consequence of coronavirus here in the UK has been the enormous upsurge of claimants to our Universal Credit benefit, a controversial benefit already prior to this. I've worked for the DWP (Department For Work & Pensions) before and might be again. A friend rang me this afternoon to see if I might want to join them again in an admin role as they are taking on staff as the Universal Credit department simply cannot cope with the demand right now. The only obstacle is the location. If it's too far away they'll be looking for someone that lives closer as they discourage long distance travel. I might be going back to the DWP through this.
    Are the civil service not doing work from home? I suppose with the telephones they might not.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Are the civil service not doing work from home? I suppose with the telephones they might not.
    It's an admin and data processing role, not a telephone one. I hate customer facing jobs and would have refused it point blank if it had been.

I reckon a good percentage of our civil service probably are working from home but in some cases it won't be possible. I honestly don't have all the details of it yet, even though my name has now been forwarded for the job. This may come to nothing. They are discouraging long distance travel and that alone may throw a spanner in the works. I have asthma also and that may also affect things. I've been told to stay at home even though it's only a mild form of asthma and doesn't ever affect my day-to-day life.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!