Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    They will re-open playgrounds and allow church services here in Germany. I think that is too early.
    It probably is but for the parents its a relief. The children have become supercharged and some people need spiritual support. The virus is unhealthy even if you are healthy.

Also I did get only 2 thirds of what I make on the job and I don't make much to begin with.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 05-04-2020 at 10:21 PM.

My state is well on the path to a full re-open.

Not sure how I feel about it since I worry we are just priming ourselves for an outbreak. On the other being a western state without densely packed population centers its much different here. The biggest cluster of our states outbreaks can be traced to one concert that hundreds of people attended back before social distancing was a thing or places shut down. After that its been pretty minimal spread. And many aren't social distancing anyway.

Extraordinary Member

I have a virtual internship which sounds exciting.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    It probably is but for the parents its a relief. The children have become supercharged and some people need spiritual support. The virus is unhealthy even if you are healthy.

Also I did get only 2 thirds of what I make on the job and I don't make much to begin with.
    Interestingly enough, there was a report on the news today that suicide in Germany is down, not up under the pandemic and the lock down.

In my state, which is the most populous and one of the hardest hit, suicides over the past weeks are 20% (!!!) lower than for the same period last year.

Even with people losing their jobs, or being sent home and getting "part time unemployment", with families being locked in together and single people not being able to see their friends, with the threat of a deadly disease, people are LESS suicidal.

I wonder why that is. Maybe work is really bad for our mental health. Or maybe there is "nocebo" effect here, as people can accept their sadness better when there is a clear reason.

In New York, it looks like Cuomo is going to do region based tiered reopens, which I think is the way to go if you'e going to re-open at all. My region is doing okay as a whole, so we're probably going to have small re-openings by the end of the month, which big gatherings (concerts, festivals, etc) banned. I know for me

My biggest concern is that Cuomo mused that he doesn't understand why we need to ever go back to in-person school, which as a person going through my masters of education, that will likely get me to move or never use my teaching degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    My condolences.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Very sad. My condolences.
    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Really wish this had turned out differently.

Can't say how sorry I am for your loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My sympathies. Stay strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Same, sorry for your loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I am very sorry to hear that. Bless you and your family.
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Sorry for your loss.
    Thanks everybody, that really means a lot.

My dad and I may be one of the few people in the country who come out ahead. We got our stimulus checks and got caught up on most of our bills we were behind on and ordered my dad a lift chair which he really needed. His heath has been good for the past two months and there has been no need to go to the hospital which is the first time in several years that he has had a stretch like this. My mental heath has been holding up well. I know we are really lucky.

I feel bad for all the people who are in a bad way. I really hope things work out well for them. I want to say that I hope every one is staying safe and that even though things are starting to reopen that all my fellow CBRers aree going to stay safe.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

My supervisor told me yesterday that the school district is going to require all essential workers (that includes me) to get tested for Covid 19 by Memorial Day, regardless of whether or not we have symptoms and regardless of whether or not we've been exposed to someone with symptoms. My health plan will pay for the test, but I'm not looking forward to having a swab up my nose.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    My supervisor told me yesterday that the school district is going to require all essential workers (that includes me) to get tested for Covid 19 by Memorial Day, regardless of whether or not we have symptoms and regardless of whether or not we've been exposed to someone with symptoms. My health plan will pay for the test, but I'm not looking forward to having a swab up my nose.
    Ahh, but think of the peace of mind you'll have when the test comes back negative.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Ahh, but think of the peace of mind you'll have when the test comes back negative.
    Out of curiosity, what peace of mind is that exactly? It's not immunity. It doesn't mean you can't or won't still get it. Just means you currently don't have it.

I guess knowing you can't give it to anyone, currently? And, hopefully, haven't previously?
    Last edited by Joker; 05-07-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Out of curiosity, what peace of mind is that exactly? It's not immunity. It doesn't mean you can't or won't still get it. Just means you currently don't have it.

I guess knowing you can't give it to anyone, currently? And, hopefully, haven't previously?
    This. It's only temporary peace of mind.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Yeah, I mean, sorry to be a downer, but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    My dad and I may be one of the few people in the country who come out ahead. We got our stimulus checks and got caught up on most of our bills we were behind on and ordered my dad a lift chair which he really needed. His heath has been good for the past two months and there has been no need to go to the hospital which is the first time in several years that he has had a stretch like this. My mental heath has been holding up well. I know we are really lucky.

I feel bad for all the people who are in a bad way. I really hope things work out well for them. I want to say that I hope every one is staying safe and that even though things are starting to reopen that all my fellow CBRers aree going to stay safe.
    A lot of people in my area are making out like bandits over this.

My daughter is 20 and a college student. I pay for her college but she pays all her other expenses (food, rent, utilities, etc). She lives with her boyfriend so they share costs. She works 30 to 35 hrs a week at a pizza place which is very good to her as far as working around her school schedule. I think she makes $10.25 / hr. Its a buffet place so they had to shut down for 3 weeks. She got $187 a week unemployment from the state and $600 from federal for each of those three weeks. In other words she got more 2.5 times her normal income.

And this is not at all an unusual story for people around here in her age bracket as the $600 federal alone is more than most of them made per week.

Add to that any stimulus check they got and its been money heaven.

Her store is fully re-opening in two weeks but she started getting 30 hrs again last week, to her dismay since its a paycut, as they decided to do a remodel while also doing curbside service and takeout.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post

My daughter is 20 and a college student. I pay for her college but she pays all her other expenses (food, rent, utilities, etc). She lives with her boyfriend so they share costs. She works 30 to 35 hrs a week at a pizza place which is very good to her as far as working around her school schedule. I think she makes $10.25 / hr. Its a buffet place so they had to shut down for 3 weeks. She got $187 a week unemployment from the state and $600 from federal for each of those three weeks. In other words she got more 2.5 times her normal income.

And this is not at all an unusual story for people around here in her age bracket as the $600 federal alone is more than most of them made per week.

Her store is fully re-opening in two weeks but she started getting 30 hrs again last week, to her dismay since its a paycut, as they decided to do a remodel while also doing curbside service and takeout.
    See, in Germany, her tuition would be free and she would likely be eligible for BaFöG, which is half an interest-free loan, and half just a benefit. And nobody would act like she is some kind of welfare queen for taking advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post

For me $10.25 per hour would be around 40% pay cut even with 40 hours per week, and that doesn't account for benefits.
    Dark does not mean deep.