Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

I had frog legs once. It was fine. Like a lame chicken wing. I didn't hate it, but I couldn't see bothering with it again.

Beer, though, it's so all over the place flavor wise these days, I don't think a single sampling really tells you if you like "beer" or not. Maybe you don't like hops. Or a specific hop. Maybe a milkshake stout would be your jam. Who knows.

That said, I don't care if people don't like beer, but I do find the challenge of "I don't like beer" fun.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I find it very racist that, just because you had one Deutscher post on this thread, it's now a thread about beer.
    Well, if you like, we could discuss sauerbraten instead. I remember having that at a friend's house several years ago and it was crazy good.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I had frog legs once. It was fine. Like a lame chicken wing. I didn't hate it, but I couldn't see bothering with it again.

Beer, though, it's so all over the place flavor wise these days, I don't think a single sampling really tells you if you like "beer" or not. Maybe you don't like hops. Or a specific hop. Maybe a milkshake stout would be your jam. Who knows.

That said, I don't care if people don't like beer, but I do find the challenge of "I don't like beer" fun.
    I don't like it either, to be honest. I've tried a few, and I'll note that I'm hypersensitive to anything bitter. I can't even stand the supermarket alcho-pops since pretty much ANYTHING derived from malt (supermarket-legal in New York) sets me off. I even tried a beer-style mead and couldn't take more than a sip. I can even taste the bitter notes in those hard sodas, and I don't like it.

Authentic wines are OK, but they still have to be a sweeter variety like a Moscato or a Madeira (semi-official sponsor of the American Revolution!). And rum - rum is always good, provided it's in a highball of some kind. I can't handle it straight. Wine-style mead is also something I'll go for, but it isn't exactly easy to find outside of a devoted liquor store. I have found a couple good brands, one a grape wine fortified with honey (but still good) and 2 pure meads - including one imported from Poland of all places. It's good to live near a major city, although I'm glad that's 'near' and not 'in' currently.

My wife is the beer drinker, provided it isn't mass market stuff - although the faux-craft beers are good enough for her. She avoids IPA style most of the time, and wishes it wasn't 3 out of every 4 on the shelf. She also loves most hard ciders.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 05-08-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

IPA is what sells. Still, there's a wide variety in IPA. Oddly enough, Double and Triple IPA is usually an easier sell for people who don't like IPA. The brewing process in making it a double or triple actually mellows out the hops and bitterness resulting in a smoother easier drinker than a standard IPA. It's really counter intuitive, but it seems to hold true more times than not.

That said, I really can't drink much above a 6% these days, so I like a good Kolsch a lot of the time.

Try a Vino Verde, if you like a lighter, semi sweet, slightly effervescent wine. I don't like wine much, but those are great. Especially on a hot day.

Aaaaaaanyway...
    Last edited by Joker; 05-08-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

I'm honestly worried that alcoholism will be a much bigger problem after the pandemic than before. Globally.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Eh, you had a shitty beer when beer wasn't good. Not representative or what beer is currently, or can be. Beer is a catch all term for a style of brewing, but the flavors and styles are vast! I'm sure I could find a beer you'd enjoy.

Unless alcohol just isn't your thing.
    Try Wolfshöher Schwarzbier from Nuremberg

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, if you like, we could discuss sauerbraten instead. I remember having that at a friend's house several years ago and it was crazy good.
    You made me miss my grandmother
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I'm honestly worried that alcoholism will be a much bigger problem after the pandemic than before. Globally.
    It will be for me.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 05-09-2020 at 07:22 AM.

New Hampshire is letting non-essential businesses open tomorrow I think.

Here in Massachusetts, we are still shut down until May 18th but given that New York just extended the shutdown until June I have no problem and probably would prefer to see the order here extended a couple more weeks too.

I'm not paranoid but I'm not stupid either. I see the news reports about the figures for the states and I just don't think that we'll be in a position to reopen on the 18th and actually be able to consider things even remotely "safe", even with measures still in place for distancing, etc.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Back to work today!! Man, kinda feels good actually.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Back to work today!! Man, kinda feels good actually.
    Good for you.

Meanwhile, I'll be teleworking through the rest of May as the Philadelphia region will remain in lockdown until June 4th. As someone who prefers being at the office, I can't say I much like this. But, there's nothing I can do, still, I count my lucky stars I'm still employed, especially after hearing some 20 million people lost their jobs in April.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I filed for my first unemployment check yesterday - although I am still if good shape financially. I kept enough savings from the inheritance (Mother-in-Law) that I don't need to worry until well after the money should be processed. Plus, I am back at work today, until next week, at least. I'll be working one week on, one week off for a couple of months at the least, but it means I'm not losing my health insurance for starters, and that if things have to go really long term that 39 weeks of unemployment becomes about a year and a half.

During my off week I had planned on putting in some edging bricks on my front yard to keep the stone fill from slipping out (desert landscaping here) but my irrigation system crapped out and I dealt with that instead. Luckily that's been fixed and I was still able to get all the supplies for the next project. Star Nurseries has been busier than I remember it normally being, but I suppose people who have savings/income now have more time to devote to those home improvement projects than they used to.

My best friend (who now lives in South Carolina) says that the home supply stores are almost as busy as the grocery stores - likely for the same reasons the gardening store is where I live. I know some states closed those down too (even going so far as to require those sections to be roped off in the case of grocery-selling superstores) but I'd classify them as close to essential. People will still have electrical shorts and pipes breaking even during a stay at home order. I'd be pissed if my faucet sprung a leak and I was unable to get it fixed for a month.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I filed for my first unemployment check yesterday - although I am still if good shape financially. I kept enough savings from the inheritance (Mother-in-Law) that I don't need to worry until well after the money should be processed. Plus, I am back at work today, until next week, at least. I'll be working one week on, one week off for a couple of months at the least, but it means I'm not losing my health insurance for starters, and that if things have to go really long term that 39 weeks of unemployment becomes about a year and a half.

During my off week I had planned on putting in some edging bricks on my front yard to keep the stone fill from slipping out (desert landscaping here) but my irrigation system crapped out and I dealt with that instead. Luckily that's been fixed and I was still able to get all the supplies for the next project. Star Nurseries has been busier than I remember it normally being, but I suppose people who have savings/income now have more time to devote to those home improvement projects than they used to.

My best friend (who now lives in South Carolina) says that the home supply stores are almost as busy as the grocery stores - likely for the same reasons the gardening store is where I live. I know some states closed those down too (even going so far as to require those sections to be roped off in the case of grocery-selling superstores) but I'd classify them as close to essential. People will still have electrical shorts and pipes breaking even during a stay at home order. I'd be pissed if my faucet sprung a leak and I was unable to get it fixed for a month.
    My sister is a manager at a home depot. She said she has not seen her store as busy as it is right now in a very long time. She has been getting a massive amount of overtime. I guess people are using the stay at home to work on home repair projets.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I'll be going back to work full-time in June (unless I test positive, of course). And I think that sometime soon, maybe as early as June 1st, Cuomo will re-open the rest of New York State, but keep New York City closed. Newsome may do the same, regarding California and Los Angeles.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I'll be going back to work full-time in June (unless I test positive, of course). And I think that sometime soon, maybe as early as June 1st, Cuomo will re-open the rest of New York State, but keep New York City closed. Newsome may do the same, regarding California and Los Angeles.
    I'm not sure I'd trust Cuomo to open upstate no matter how safe it is until NYC is ready too.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Massachusetts laid out their plan to start reopening on May 18th. It looks like I'll be going back to work on Monday, I think.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Slow as it is in places, the re openings feel premature, and ill advised.