Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My friend in Austria sent me a video on Whatsapp where some German lady goes on an anti-vaccine diatribe--I wasn't listening too close, because I knew where this was going. So my Austrian friend doesn't want to get the vaccine. Usually, I leave these topics alone, for the sake of our friendship. However, I feel morally that I should make an effort to counter this stupidity, given the danger to my friend and everyone else.

I've been trying to think of an effective response that won't destroy the friendship and won't come off as patronizing. But nothing I can come up with yet is the kind of argument that would actually change my friend's mind. My friend would just think I was one of those people who don't know the truth.
    That’s tough.

And sometimes...quite often..alas advice from friends is ignored however it is couched. But on other hand in my experience very few friends resent the attempt to give advice unless it is phrased appallingly.

On that basis that it’s very unlikely to cause resentment and may do some good I think if I was “in your shoes”, I’d say “I’m really worried about you not getting vaccinated, would you consider talking about it with your doctor?”

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My friend in Austria sent me a video on Whatsapp where some German lady goes on an anti-vaccine diatribe--I wasn't listening too close, because I knew where this was going. So my Austrian friend doesn't want to get the vaccine. Usually, I leave these topics alone, for the sake of our friendship. However, I feel morally that I should make an effort to counter this stupidity, given the danger to my friend and everyone else.

I've been trying to think of an effective response that won't destroy the friendship and won't come off as patronizing. But nothing I can come up with yet is the kind of argument that would actually change my friend's mind. My friend would just think I was one of those people who don't know the truth.
    German here!

One of my friends was very skeptical about getting vaccinated (in spite of being at increased risk, having had a heart attack last year), until somebody sent her this video which actually managed to change her mind. She will get vaccinated very shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aov3qGYv7ls

If your friend is not too far down the bunny hole, maybe this will make him reconsider.

The guy in the video, Martin Moder, is actually Austrian, maybe that helps. And he should look up the other videos by the guy for more about how the various vaccines work.
    Last edited by CaptainEurope; 03-05-2021 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    German here!

One of my friends was very skeptical about getting vaccinated (in spite of being at increased risk, having had a heart attack last year), until somebody sent her this video which actually managed to change her mind. She will get vaccinated very shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aov3qGYv7ls

If your friend is not too far down the bunny hole, maybe this will make him reconsider.

The guy in the video, Martin Moder, is actually Austrian, maybe that helps. And he should look up the other videos by the guy for more about how the various vaccines work.
    Took a look at the video. It makes me wish I understood more languages other than English and Spanish.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Got my 2nd shot in late January through my employer. Other than soreness in my arm for a few days it's been no problem. The entire process was 30 minutes, maybe? They had us sit for 10 minutes afterwards to make sure nobody had any negative side affects.

What gets me is that half my coworkers refused it. The shots were free at no cost, other than some time going to the location. Their explanations for refusing it make no sense & I can't even pretend to care anymore. Whatevs bro.

Got Pfizer shot #1 today. Funny, I scratched the site with my phone in hand during the waiting period and my phone restarted. Rimshot.

If I had known Wal-Mart had such a hand in this I'd have likely picked another site. I do tend to be picky over which corporate overlord I decide to pay tribute. If it was Target would it have made a difference, maybe, they're just the middleman for the pharma I guess.

Maybe this is because I received it at the Urban League I was pleasantly surprised to see the number of African Americans lined up. It was a 50/50 mix. Maybe it falls under age lines because I have definitely broached the subject to Black folks closer to my age and above and most ain't rockin' whatsoever.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Retired

Thanks for the suuggestions. Some good ideas for me to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Took a look at the video. It makes me wish I understood more languages other than English and Spanish.
    I've studied several languages, but I'm better at reading than hearing, so on the youtube videos I turn on the captions. And if I can slow down the speed, that also helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Depending on your command of Spanish, you would be delighted how much French you'll comprehend. Spanish was spoken in my home & when I gave French a try I was thrilled at how quickly I was able to speak in complete & complex sentences in French. Once you get where/how the emphasize the accent - you'll be like well goddamn this is cool!

The company that makes my cat’s favorite canned food went out of business. It was a pretty big blow for her.

Ultimate Member

My job announced that they're getting rid a lot of the office furniture and who ever wants any of it can just come and grab it. This is like a week after we had a big Zoom meeting about production ( it's not as great as it could be, but everyone recognizes that it wouldn't be any better if we all were there in person).

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Just got my first vaccine today. Next one is due on 4/28

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Well, we have a curfew now. Every county in Germany that has more than 100 new corona cases per 100,000 people in 7 days has a 10 pm curfew, some places have individually made it stricter to 9 pm. Ends at 5 am in the morning.
    Very few areas are below 100 currently.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

as of 2:00 today (4/28) I have my second vaccine.

I also got a phone call about a friend who had her first vaccine, and is now in the hospital with Covid.

Ultimate Member

My boss told me that her mother refuses to get a vaccine. At first the mom's reason was that it was a way for "them" to kill off all the old people. My boss told her no, it's the virus that going to kill you. Now the mom says it's going to lead to "them" banning religious holidays.

Had an uncle pass away due to the negligence of his daughter. He was taking care of my father in our hometown. After that, my sister and I had to haul ass and take over the reigns which is hard because we live out of state.

Additionally, I now permantely work from home because my company got rid of our office the week before the stay-at-home restrictions were enforced.

I tell you, I am beginning to think Covid is never going to end.

Look what's happened in just the last couple of days.

Bradley Beal was supposed to play on the men's basketball team for the Tokyo Olympics but he's out now because of it. So is Jerami Grant, who is in the protocols though he hasn't tested positive yet.

The Yankees had their game tonight postponed against the Red Sox because the Yankees have had multiple positive tests recently.

And Los Angeles County just announced that masks are going to be required indoors again starting Saturday night as they've moved into the "Substantial" spread category. Oh, and Hollywood events are now requiring proof of vaccination AND negative Covid tests.

And people wonder why I am wearing my mask still? I'm not anywhere near any of those places I just mentioned but I'm being safe now than sorry later.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.