Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I think this crisis has affected the vast majority of people, but especially those that need to work to survive and have a decent living. We have lost a lot of $ in the stock market. We aren't rich, we had to work really hard to have what we have. At least my husband still has his job since he works mostly alone. I work in a grocery store. Apparently my work is essential now so. I live in California. I worry about getting sick, but so far there hasn't been any cases in my city. I think I'm pretty healthy, but who knows.

Another good thing is we have our savings, so we don't have to worry about $ for some time. Sadly, many people don't.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-26-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Retired

Currently living in the Dominion of the Devils, near the Radiation Barrier.

Last edited by Jim Kelly; 03-26-2020 at 04:53 PM.

I went to the store today (My neighbor told me they had toilet paper) So I went and they had some. I ended up getting 20 rolls which for three people is reasonable. Plus I give my neighbor on the other side who has money troubles a few rolls a week.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

I for one welcome our Tiger Overlords here to rescue us from the Rat Network.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Almost every one of these would make an awesome band name.
    If I had a band, I would call it the Kanga-Bat Murder Society.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Helped my 20 (almost 21) yr old daughter file for unemployment. She is a full time college student but also worked 30 hrs a week at a pizza place. They didn't have delivery as they were an all you can buffet place so they've shut down to just take out only and only need 2 people at a time. She's been told she'll be lucky if she gets 4 hrs a week. If it comes down to it I'd of course help her as I haven't been affected at all financially in the short term (I'm sure my 401k's have taken mega hits but I'm choosing not to look since there is nothing I can do about it). But since our state and the feds have been promising unemployment help to those out of jobs we of course are going to try for it.

I'm at the border between the Pueblo Builders and the Wild Human Preserve.

My job apparently is making some stuff that will be used in COVID-19 testing kits (just the packaging) and possibly part of the masks for ventilator units and some plastic respirators - among other things that aren't as critical. That is keeping me employed, although we are taking 3 day weekends rather than the standard two. A huge part of my job is automotive support, so I expect 3 day work weeks (that will hit harder financially) by the end of April, although that is just conjecture on my part.

I cut the landscaper and reduced my cable to internet only (saving a little over $100 each month), so that has saved a little extra each month, and if push comes to shove I can also stop overpaying my mortgage each month (saving another $70) to help tighten my belt if need be. The stimulus looks to be able to handle any potential shortfall for a couple months as well, so I doubt I am in serious financial trouble just yet. Which is much better shape than a lot of people are in.

The only extra expense is I started donating to Doctors Without Borders, since in these times groups like them are needed desperately.

I'm not worried about my retirement accounts crashing - the market will eventually recover and I am 20ish years away from needing it. Plus I am buying low in my 401K at least. This has put my plans to refinance on hold, but even if I have to wait until next year I should still be OK on that front, as I was only going to get a shorter term mortgage (and should be able to keep the same monthly payment).

Longer term, when this finally dies down I'll have to look and see what restaurants I used to rotate between on my shopping trips to St. George (Utah) have survived - most of them weren't chains and those are the ones that will be in the most danger of being unable to reopen after this crisis has passed.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Let's see... I can't go to work, as all the Goodwill stores have been shut down except for donations, to which I am not part of that position. I can't go to class, as campus has been shut down at the community college, not to mention I have no idea if graduation will even happen.

Locally, the Indianapolis 500 has been pushed all the way to August 23rd, with the Grand Prix of Indianapolis being put on July 4th. The whole state is on a stay at home protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Almost every one of these would make an awesome band name.
    If I had a band, I would call it the Kanga-Bat Murder Society.
    On this tangent...

While I'd guess that I'm not schooling everyone in this thread, the last "Classic Coke" Misfits' album is commonly referred to as Earth A.D.. The tune "Earth A.D." is also on said release.

I work at Target, so the big change for me is that I'm actually working more hours, as we get extra shipments of essential goods in. Also, they gave all hourly employees a temporary raise that I jokingly refer to as "combat pay". And I qualify for the bailout money from the US government. So financially, this is working out pretty well for me. Of course, that's coming from a starting point of being under-employed and looking around for better paying jobs before this started.

Socially, I'm not hanging out with my friends and family, so that's annoying. My Pathfinder (D&D spinoff game) group has figured out how to play over the internet, so we're still trying to meet weekly, but that's not quite the same.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

In Wyoming. Not overloaded, yet, or on lockdown, yet. So not too much in that way has been affected (good luck getting TP or paper towels though, let alone something like Ramen). And stay at home? Basically been doing that since early January anyway. Ankle surgery does that.

Advice to anyone having trouble finding toilet paper: Show up at Target when they open at 8 AM, or within an hour afterward.

As I said, I work there. We're getting nightly trucks of goods (which is more than we normally get this time of year), and toilet paper is always in there. Since it's a top priority, we always put it on the shelves first, so it's there when we open at 8 AM. It may only last until 9 or 10 AM, depending on how much we got in that day, and how many guests show up early, but it's always there first thing in the morning, and we limit guests to buying one at a time.

I wish I could say the same about Tylenol, hand sanitizer, and some other goods, but those aren't always on the daily trucks.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Well the virus has landed in next county over, so it's slowly working it's way to out here in the boonies. It's probably due to the people coming out to the rural stores looking for supplies, I know they've been working themselves exhausted.

I’m seeing how I’ve been taking being an introvert for granted all this time.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I just found out my dad and I who are on social security disability will get the stimulus check. This is great news for us as we can pay off some of my dad's medical bills, get him a left chair that he needs and get us a new washer because ours just broke a few days ago. I know that this bill may not be everything people wanted but getting my dad that lift chair is huge. We have been saving up for it but medical bills and meds keep knocking us back.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.