Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

The problem with "the check" is that in the cities most affected, and for the people out of work in those cities, that's not even a month of rent.

Sure, it's helpful, and no one is going to turn it down, but it shows a government that doesn't actually care. Shocking, I know.

Ultimate Member

My last check from my job came in the mail. I haven't opened it yet, but I know it's only a few days pay.

Well, I'm laid off. I will go back to work once the state allows "non-essential" businesses to open back up. I got my full check yesterday and used that to pay some bills. Don't know what next week will bring though.

Filed for unemployment and got approved. Have to make my initial claim tomorrow but I don't know how long I'll have to wait for that to actually come through. Hopefully the small return I'm expecting on taxes comes in since that would definitely help. And assuming that "stimulus" check shows up, that will keep the bills paid for at least a month as well...I think.

I'm picking a particular task to do each day so that I'm maintaining some level of activity rather than just sitting in front of computer or TV all day.

I've had to venture out for food but I've otherwise been mostly at home.

And while it obviously pales in comparison to what some people have lost, missing out on the concerts and book signings I had planned stinks. I understand why but doesn't make it less of a bummer on a personal level. What little in the way of friends that I have I don't get to see now. But I've made sure to keep in contact with a different grouping of people each day to be sure they are okay.

I've got plenty of stuff to do in terms of entertaining myself. I have books to read for review purposes and music articles to write. I spend a lot of time at home so this doesn't quite impact me on the same level as more social people but the little things I can't do certainly puts a crimp in my usual wanderings.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The problem with "the check" is that in the cities most affected, and for the people out of work in those cities, that's not even a month of rent.

Sure, it's helpful, and no one is going to turn it down, but it shows a government that doesn't actually care. Shocking, I know.
    Honestly the check is an afterthought compared to the additional $600 per week for those on Unemployment. $2,400 per month for 4 months is the best thing to come out the deal for normal Americans.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Extraordinary Member

That’s not even the worst of it. Best case scenario is it clears your rent or a good chunk of it.

THEN, you are talking about utilities, you are talking about food, maybe you have student loans, a car payment that you can’t blow off simply because you aren’t driving, etc....

It’s like enough to make you not homeless but totally in debt

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Honestly the check is an afterthought compared to the additional $600 per week for those on Unemployment. $2,400 per month for 4 months is the best thing to come out the deal for normal Americans.
    It’s more than they. The average American should clear around 4000-5000 a month in unemployment total when you add the 600 on top of the regular. That’s like earning 54000 mostly untaxed for a third of the year. Not huge. It’s going to suck for the people who’ve made less to go back to work for what will seem like crumbs

Right. It doesn't actually solve any problems for anyone. And yes, it is on top of other benefits, I guess. This whole situation is fucked. Republicans, man.

Right. It doesn't actually solve any problems for anyone. And yes, it is on top of other benefits, I guess. This whole situation is fucked. Republicans, man.
    I hope anyone who cannot pay for their rent, utilities or food during this crisis does not vote Republican in the upcoming elections... but what the hell do I know, they'll probably just blame Democrats.

I mean, Trump's approval rating is up, so nothing makes sense anymore.

I mean, Trump's approval rating is up, so nothing makes sense anymore.
    That's the "Rally Round the Flag" effect that normally happens during a crisis. Except that this time the effect is in single digits, which is abnormally low. VERY LOW, in fact, when compared to the polling bump other presidents normally get. Dubya's approval rating hit 90% after Sept. 11th, but then he also acted like a president in the aftermath as well.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    600? I get a bit over 400 and that's the max they give here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    That's the "Rally Round the Flag" effect that normally happens during a crisis. Except that this time the effect is in single digits, which is abnormally low. VERY LOW, in fact, when compared to the polling bump other presidents normally get. Dubya's approval rating hit 90% after Sept. 11th, but then he also acted like a president in the aftermath as well.
    Since this has started he has skyrocketed from 42% to 45%!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Under the bill if you get $400 currently it would be $1000 once it's implemented. Provided you're in the US of course.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    This is weekly so add 600 to your 400. You get 1000 a week. 4000 a month compared to 1600

It scares the heck out of me, that's how it is affecting me right now.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.