Default I think Harley Quinn's character was wasted/feel disconnected with Harleen

She is nothing but a comic relief overall, including her first appearance in the animated series.

But her origin story showed us that Harleen is a psychologist who got sympathized to the Joker, which gave her a lot of potential and could give her character depth, but most of the time Harley Quinn showed nothing resemble to the character.

The Harleen issue further expanded the story and made her very tragic figure, but I feel that doesn't have anything to do with the actual Harley.

Astonishing Member

I think that the original Harley character origin resonated with a lot of people initially. Who hasn't dated/been attracted to/do stupid things for a horrible person? Anyone that has been in any level of dysfunctional relationship (whether or not you kept going back) can relate to the character.

And then the characters gets popular. Fans want her to show character growth. Writers also want to be the ones to write that story.

Then character changes and develops. And in a way becomes more one-note again.

It's also why a lot of characters end up backsliding, or get written out to make way for newer conflicted characters.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I think that the original Harley character origin resonated with a lot of people initially. Who hasn't dated/been attracted to/do stupid things for a horrible person? Anyone that has been in any level of dysfunctional relationship (whether or not you kept going back) can relate to the character.

And then the characters gets popular. Fans want her to show character growth. Writers also want to be the ones to write that story.

Then character changes and develops. And in a way becomes more one-note again.

It's also why a lot of characters end up backsliding, or get written out to make way for newer conflicted characters.
    But even now, most of the time Harley is just a comic relief character.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    But even now, most of the time Harley is just a comic relief character.
    So? People are capable of layers. There are people in real life who seemingly only ever joke around and take nothing seriously, but then sometimes the mask drops and we see tragedy beneath.

Just because she's comic relief 95% of the time doesn't invalidate the 5% where she's not. I act one way most of the time, but sometimes I reveal something a little different.

Spectacular Member

The Harley Quinn from the animated series is the mold that the Modern Age Harley Quinn (1999-2011) came from. When the New 52 started, that mold was discarded for a completely different version. Once they go back to the Modern Age version, things will be better.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I lost interest when she lost her Batman Adventures-look. I kept trying different issues, but in trying to make her into a DC real character, they lost what made her appeal to me, that animaniac wackiness. It just doesn't work for me in the DC real world. Harley and Ivy is one of my favorites to re-read; Gotham Girls. THAT'Sa my Harley.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet