Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Lack of interesting fight scenes in Xbooks

It might just be me, but has anyone else noticed there are not alot of cool/epic fight scenes in the x-men these days?

I think compared to the Avengers the X-men dont get as many cool fights. Thor, Hulk are always getting into an interesting fight. Iron man sometimes as well. The X-men dont really get anything like Sentry vs Hulk. (The 1 exception is Wolverine who consistently gets cool fights in x-men, solo, and avenger series.) Apoc is like the closest thing to Thanos for the X-men and he never gets anything close to the cool fights like Thanos has.

So what are your thoughts on topic?
    Last edited by FIGHT; 03-14-2020 at 01:41 AM.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

BANNED

We don't see the mutants use their powers enough and yet we don't get much in the way of deep, thoughtful characterization either. Ah well.

Marauders has had a couple of cool fight/power scenes over its few issues. Kitty and Iceman both have had amazing displays.

New Mutants gave a brief glimpse but it felt hollow.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Immortal Hulk has better fights than current X-Men.
    "Cable was right!"

This is one of my few gripes about DOX tbh. I've said it before and I'll say it again - these books need more pages. reading 80s Claremont etc. lately and he had the perfect "sweet spot" of space to work with , in other words it was a lot more feasible to cram in decent character work, intelligent concepts and satisfying action choreography. most books out rn only have can only really swing and hit 1or 2 of these because aiming for all 3 leads to a rushed-ness and overall floppery in all areas

Mighty Member

I don't think most cape comics in general have good fight scenes. Its more the exception than the rule.

Not a X-men thing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    We don't see the mutants use their powers enough and yet we don't get much in the way of deep, thoughtful characterization either. Ah well.

Marauders has had a couple of cool fight/power scenes over its few issues. Kitty and Iceman both have had amazing displays.
    Agree on this. Nowadays, they stress too much on death and the resurrection.

Some of the titles like New Mutants lack character development and interesting fight scenes. The fight scene is shown in one panel and the next panel, it is over. This is a far cry from Chris Claremont's days.

X-Force had an interesting fight scene between original Domino and fake Domino though.

Hold up. Are you seriously saying Hulk vs Sentry was a good fight?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    It might just be me, but has anyone else noticed there are not alot of cool/epic fight scenes in the x-men these days?

I think compared to the Avengers the X-men dont get as many cool fights. Thor, Hulk are always getting into an interesting fight. Iron man sometimes as well. The X-men dont really get anything like Sentry vs Hulk. (The 1 exception is Wolverine who consistently gets cool fights in x-men, solo, and avenger series.) Apoc is like the closest thing to Thanos for the X-men and he never gets anyhthing close to the cool fights like Thanos has.

So what are your thoughts on topic?
    You say it like that as if Thor, Thanos and especially Wolverine having fight scenes are actually helping them in terms of character arcs.
    Last edited by Vishop; 03-14-2020 at 01:25 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Hulk is fairly been characterized because it has been handled by good writers.

World War Hulk and Sentry was actually a cool fight scene. They both were equally matched.

Sure it was. Only problem would be the way Romita jr draws the faces and hands of Hulk n Sentry at time.

Romita jr did Wolverine vs Gorgon which was also a nice fight. Again the only nitpick is the way he draw the characters. Just looks "off" a bit.

Both fights had great flow and intensity. You can't deny that friend. (Well, i guess you can).

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    You say it like that as if Thor, Thanos and especially Wolverine having fight scenes are actually helping them in terms of character arcs.
    Why must It be a choice tho? It is great to have epic fights that are memorable and character growth that happens in an organic and interesting way.
    Last edited by FIGHT; 03-14-2020 at 01:31 AM.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

A lot of writers just direct fight scenes to the artist by giving them the room in the script and only dictating how it ends while they write captions or nothing. This is in contrast to writing an extended fight scene where characters engage in a sequence of specific actions. The first option can work well too with the context surrounding and the artist's rendering. Anyway, if you want good fights read JoJo.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The best fight in WWH was Stephen going all Poggers and Green Scar still unga bunga-ing that ass.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Agree on this. Nowadays, they stress too much on death and the resurrection.

Some of the titles like New Mutants lack character development and interesting fight scenes. The fight scene is shown in one panel and the next panel, it is over. This is a far cry from Chris Claremont's days.

X-Force had an interesting fight scene between original Domino and fake Domino though.
    Too much? I mean the only book where they really stress is X-Force and now maybe Mauraders but I'm not sure how that gets in the way of "good fight scenes" since we just had one in X-Men #8.

Marauders has had some cool scenes. Kitty and Bobby have had some nice showings. I also liked the X-Force and Wolverine stuff.

Hickman is more focused on worldbuildig and his fight scenes haven't been very good/detailed, even though the assault on Orchis was able to convey a great sense of danger even though we haven't seen pages and pages of the mutants throwing punches. Illyana and Scott combining their powers was cool too. I can understand Hickman not wanting to focus on battles since he's the one that's doing the most world building now.

Excalibur is lackluster in that sense imo because we... Don't see the actual fights most of the time? Like Rogue vs Cullen happened mostly off panel, Betsy has only manifested a sword and Gambit and Jubilee have been throwing sparkly stuff at people for issues on end but it doesn't feel like good battles.
    New Murants mostly skipped on the actual fights too.