Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Which era of Batman you like the best?/

1960s batman or 70s batman etc.

Astonishing Member

Its a tricky one.

I'd say the 2000's because its the era in which I discovered the character in comics. But I first discovered the character through BTAS, which was heavily inspired by the stories of the 70's and 80's.

I've also developed a LOT of appreciation for the earliest stories by Kane/Finger - especially the first 11 before Robin showed up. But even some of the early Robin stuff is great. These stories really set the foundation for the Batman mythos.

I do like Snyder and King's work from the last decade - though I feel it mostly built on the foundation of the 2000's era.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

70s I guess since the bulk of my favorite one-shots are from there

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I'd say the 2000's because its the era in which I discovered the character in comics. But I first discovered the character through BTAS, which was heavily inspired by the stories of the 70's and 80's.
    This is where I'm at too. BTAS was my first exposure, so it informs a lot of what I want in the Bat-mythos. So I gravitate towards the set up of the 70s/early 80s in terms of the setup (mostly solo Batman, Robin in college and semi-independent, Barbara as Batgirl, a funny and scary Joker who isn't a slasher villain, etc) and characterizations even if the actual stories aren't always that great. I love some stuff that came out in the 2000s and respect some of the spin offs, but not all of it always "feels" like Batman to me.

Morrison's run has gradually become my favorite of the modern eras though, largely because it injects some pre-Crisis stuff back into the character. A lot of O'Neil/Adams Bronze Age Batman, plus the wacky Silver Age stuff somehow being able to be made to work in a modern story.

Extraordinary Member

For me, it’s the late “Renaissance” pre-New 52, with Morrison, Snyder, and Dini all handling writing on the main Batman books/spinoffs that favored their skill sets, with guys and gals like Simone, Nicieza, Yost, Higgins and Millar handling the other character based spinoffs and miniseries.

The only reason I’d rank that ahead of the mid 90’s to early 00’s period is because I think the BatBooks did take it up a notch, which is impressive, because the last day of O’Neil coupled with Rucka, Dixon, Moench, Brubaker and others is still an insanely high level to aspire to.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Retired

For me it's the 1960s, even though I bought and read all of the comics from 1971 onward, without missing anything. In the 1960s I was much younger and my reading was less exhaustive and I took less care of the comics that I had. I got most issues of BATMAN and DETECTIVE COMICS in 1967 and about half as many in 1968. But after that I lost interest for a good couple of years. Still I loved those comics so much and eventually I got all the back issues of the "New Look" Batman, so I had a complete run for BATMAN and DETECTIVE from 1964. But there's nothing like that experience of going to the drug store each week and looking at the comics and then bringing a fresh copy home and reading those brand new comics in my bedroom. I just wish I had bought more of those comics at the time.

So that's why I have a greater love for the 1960s because I wish I had more of what there was. I'm always in my mind trying to go back to the 1960s to find what I missed.

Greg Rucka's Era

My favorite era of Batman is Detective 27-37, before the introduction of Robin. Introducing Robin changed the essential nature of the character. It's not that I dislike Robin, I do like him, but the pre-Robin Batman was much more interesting and a different character for me than he was from 'Tec #38 onwards.

After that, my favorite era were the early Bronze Age (early to mid-70s mostly), then the Moench era of the early to mid-80s.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Either the mid-late 90s (the Dixon/Moench era) or the Reborn era just before the n52.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Either the mid-late 90s (the Dixon/Moench era) or the Reborn era just before the n52.
    Me right before that, Grant, Dixon, Breyfogle, Nolan. Pretty much up until Knightfall. Street level stories, detective work. It was a good time.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I'm a sucker for the Golden Age, two-fisted adventures with Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder. Always outnumbered, never outfought! I've got a few collections of the newspaper strips and I've read the heck out of 'em!

It was a time when Batman could be more invincible - like he often is over the last twenty years - but because everything is so pulpy and cartoony, it doesn't feel forced at all.

There's the beginning of Giant Stuff Attached To Buildings, but it's not fully there yet. I love that stuff.

Also I love the '80s when Jason starts showing up. Yeah, I know that's almost the opposite in some ways, but I think that Jay's a really great character, really underrated in terms of his actual personality. Wish there was more material with him as Robin!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

RIP/Reborn era. Batman and Robin, Batman Inc, Red Robin, Batgirl, Sirens, Azrael? All the Bat books were pretty much firing on all cylinders then.

Late 80s to today, past 30-35-ish years I guess. Almost all my books and all the others I want come from this current era. Year One, Batman Returns, The Killing Joke, Gotham by Gaslight, Doom that Came to Gotham, the Batman/Dracula trilogy, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Man Who Laughs, Mad Monk, and the Monster Men, Prey, Batman vs Predator, Batman/TMNT, White Knight/Curse of the White Knight, the list goes on, either in my collection or plan to add to my collection. Modern era Batman has a slew of amazing stories. Great time to be a fan.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

The start of the Englehart era, DETECTIVE COMICS #469 to Batman #379(last art work by Don Newton .)

Reborn-Pre New 52, because it’s the era where I started buying comics. Going back and reading some older stuff, I really like the post no man’s land, Gotham central era.
    Books I’m pulling: Justice League Dark, Batman and the, Outsiders, Suicide squad, Daredevil, Tynion’s Batman, X-men, X-force, Marauders, Hellions, X-Factor, Three Jokers, Deceased Dead Planet