Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What would happen if the Corona virus hit the dc universe

So I’m currently at home, missing work, feeling paranoid about about a mild sore throat and cough. And I doubt I’m the only one. This bug sucks, this YEAR sucks!
    But enough about that, this might be a stupid thread idea, but how would the dc universe react to a pandemic? Like assume aliens and meta humans are not immune.
    -Would the Justice League just not meet in person?
    -Would Batman avoid contact with his more elderly, this more vulnerable butler?
    -would villains like Lex still not not wash their hands?!?
    - would the rouges steal all the toilet paper in central city?
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 03-19-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    So I’m currently at home, missing work, feeling paranoid about about a mild sore throat and cough. And I doubt I’m the only one. This bug sucks, this YEAR sucks!
    But enough about that, this might be a stupid thread idea, but how would the dc universe react to a pandemic? Like assume aliens and meta humans are not immune.
    It'd be underwhelming - they've dealt with the Clench and who knows what else. Not really sure what's in continuity anymore. Maybe keep Alfred home, if he's currently elderly (his age wanders), as referenced. Ollie'd be trying to influence politics to help the less fortunate. Not sure if there's anyone out there who'd rob the toilet-paper-rich and distribute to the poor.

I'm very much against real-world things of this sort being put into comics. Even without the lag and things changing. They don't make sense. Which I guess is okay for some readers because they get an emotional connection out if it. For me, it just bugs me. They should not react with shock to 9/11 (including having some villains weeping even if they've perpetuated similar). They've simply dealt with much, much worse, so these things shouldn't affect them (or their stock market) the same way.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-19-2020 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    probably not much. 'real life' viruses just aren't as big a threat in the DC uinverse compared to the things they deal with. Brainiac and Ra's Al Ghul are always trying to start bigger and worse things that this. In fact Batman had to deal with a contagion once that wiped out a huge number of people...

The Atom would be called in to fight the virus (literally).

Boisterously Confused

Give it six months and they'll tell you.

My opinion:
    • In a 1943 context, the JSA would have beaten up a bunch of black marketeers and delivered toilet paper to the masses.
      In 1953 context, Johnny Peiril would have taken an orphan to a safe place free of infection.
      In a 1963 context, the JLA would have beaten up the alien invader that brought this to our planet
      In a 1973 context, Green Arrow or Aquaman would have discovered it was Corporate America's fault
      In a 1983 context, Batman would have discovered it was a US-controlled Superman's fault
      In a 1993 context, Superman died fighting it, and his ressurection is a metaphor for surviving it
      In a 2003 context, it's a 9-11 metaphor, probably starring Deathstroke.
      In a 2013 context, the JSA would have been disappointed in how their children beat up black marketeers
      In a 2020 context, ...

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'd say the GL's could probably encase the world and get rid of it.

Although after a few times I imagine that would weaken our immune system and leave us more vulnerable.

Half the League would probably be naturally resistant to it.

Ollie would do what he does when there's price gouging.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The Atom would be called in to fight the virus (literally).
    No doubt.

Side note, there are a lot of visually beautiful strains of bacteria and viruses out there that they should really capitalize on for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'm very much against real-world things of this sort being put into comics. Even without the lag and things changing. They don't make sense. Which I guess is okay for some readers because they get an emotional connection out if it. For me, it just bugs me. They should not react with shock to 9/11 (including having some villains weeping even if they've perpetuated similar). They've simply dealt with much, much worse, so these things shouldn't affect them (or their stock market) the same way.
    Agreed. i remember an image in either funeral for a friend or world without a Superman that showed an aerial view of the absolute destruction that the doomsday fight did to the city. Just a clear cut path through the heart of the city with every building in the way just destroyed... Which has always been my counterpoint to people complaing about the destruction in Man of Steel... I've seen it in the comics, i can beleive it in the movies. Those big fights mess stuff UP... 9/11 was nothing compared to what metropolis already saw.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Agreed. i remember an image in either funeral for a friend or world without a Superman that showed an aerial view of the absolute destruction that the doomsday fight did to the city. Just a clear cut path through the heart of the city with every building in the way just destroyed... Which has always been my counterpoint to people complaing about the destruction in Man of Steel... I've seen it in the comics, i can beleive it in the movies. Those big fights mess stuff UP... 9/11 was nothing compared to what metropolis already saw.
    Not to mention what happened to Coast City around that time...and how may people died back in Invasion!?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

It would be dealt with quickly and easily. The DCU just has better tech, science and smarter people than us.

Thing is there have been a couple of times when the people of Metropolis have turned against Superman because of all of the destruction that happened to the city indirectly because of him.

So it really depends on the circumstances and how the majority of the population feels about Superman under those circumstances
    Last edited by docmidnite; 03-19-2020 at 05:17 PM.

Not to mention places like Topeka, where a Imperiex drone exploded and wiped the whole city out. Or Markovia being nuked with a Rocket Red. Bludhaven and Chemo. Gotham's earthquake. Contagion. Action 700, where Lex engages his endgame and destroys most of the city.

Hell, just a regular superhero battle with some higher end metas is on par with an earthquake cracking a city in half. When that happens in the real world, we struggle to overcome, but in the DCU it's repaired and forgotten in a couple months.

And all of that is to say nothing about the fabric of reality completely tearing apart, skies turning red, and huge holes of entropy swallowing up entire chunks of the friggin sky.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Lex, Mr.Terrific, and Ray Palmer would cure it within 2 days.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Give it six months and they'll tell you.

My opinion:
    • In a 1943 context, the JSA would have beaten up a bunch of black marketeers and delivered toilet paper to the masses.
      In 1953 context, Johnny Peiril would have taken an orphan to a safe place free of infection.
      In a 1963 context, the JLA would have beaten up the alien invader that brought this to our planet
      In a 1973 context, Green Arrow or Aquaman would have discovered it was Corporate America's fault
      In a 1983 context, Batman would have discovered it was a US-controlled Superman's fault
      In a 1993 context, Superman died fighting it, and his ressurection is a metaphor for surviving it
      In a 2003 context, it's a 9-11 metaphor, probably starring Deathstroke.
      In a 2013 context, the JSA would have been disappointed in how their children beat up black marketeers
      In a 2020 context, ...
    Bravo. Except in 2003, Deathstroke would have reverted from Wolfman's misunderstood antihero to full villain mode with Johns's Teent Titans and Infinite Crisis

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Lex, Mr.Terrific, and Ray Palmer would cure it within 2 days.
    Maybe even within a few hours if they also involve Batman and Barry Allen.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014